View Diary: No Linda, we are not "animals" (195 comments)

•  I just read a report on the number (7+ / 0-)

of stop and frisk events in NYC.  And the racial bias.

Glad to hear it is being challenged in your hood Sis.

"If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition" Bernice Johnson Reagon

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 02:52:40 PM PDT

•  Yes... (8+ / 0-)

I had been reading about it in the NY Times.  I can't even believe they have the time to make upwards of hundreds of thousands of stops (for no reason mind you) in one New York neighborhood.

We also have a huge case of police brutality a few months ago where a guy was beaten on a corner and it was caught on video.  THEN about a week ago, the police burst into the home of one of the relatives to the beaten man, supposedly looking for someone, and beat-up a young woman.

I'm especially terrified of no-knock warrants.  I live in a neighborhood where no-knock warrants would be standard.  I don't know who has lived here before me, but someone who was supposed to be a witness in a court case.  I fear the police knocking in my door, shooting my dog, looking for the previous resident.

But I don't know how Wanda Grant holds up.  I don't know what I would do if someone capriciously killed my child.  Just don't know and my heart goes out to that mother and the other mothers and the mother who will lose their child tonight, tomorrow at the hands of police and their will be no justice.  None!

the most important factor whether students succeed is not their skincolor or their ZIP code or their parents' income - it is the quality of their teacher

by princss6 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 03:00:42 PM PDT

•  Sigh- the list of abuses in each city gets (8+ / 0-)

longer and longer L'il Sis.

The "no-knock" stuff is frightening.  Especially since we already know they have busted into homes and "accidentally" killed the wrong people or had folks die from fright.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 03:04:31 PM PDT

•  That happened here. Police burst into the (7+ / 0-)

wrong house, mind you.  A guy sitting in his living room watching TV had a remote in this hand.  Police supposedly thought it was a gun.  The bullets started flying and two people were shot, including a child sleeping on the couch.  Nothing much happened to them either.

•  That is terrible!!!! When did this happen (6+ / 0-)

Aquagranny?

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 03:50:32 PM PDT

•  Oh gosh it's been over a year ago and I can't (3+ / 0-)
              blueness, Deoliver47, Larsstephens

remember all the details now.  My bad.  But there has been so much crap going on here that it is hard to keep track.  I'll try to look it up and email you.  The family was Latino if that matters and the police had the wrong address.  I mainly remember that the cops involved mostly skated out of any real blame and there were accusations of a cover up.  So what else is new.

I think I remember reading something about them dredging up some extended family member who had so called "out standing warrants" or something.  This person didn't even live there and had no connection to why the cops originally burst in that house.

Sorry, I don't have it all anymore.  I'm getting old and my outrage meter just gets overloaded.

•  Yes... (5+ / 0-)

I think Adept or TIMT may have diaried about it.  The little girl was murdered and then they tried to say the grandmother attacked them...if it is the same case.  Unfortunately, it may be completely different.  I know of a case in ATL, I believe where an octogenerian was murdered on a no-knock warrant at the wrong address.  You would think they would at least do some cursory work prior to knocking down someone's doors.  AND since they don't have to identify themselves as police, it is crazy.  With the increase of home invasions, it is really "sound" policy for no-knock warrants...really sound.

by princss6 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 06:06:28 PM PDT

•  An attorney I know... (2+ / 0-)
          Deoliver47, Larsstephens

was telling me a case of a man shot 90+ times in Philly.  Not a peep about it, though.

by princss6 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 06:03:07 PM PDT