View Diary: Poll: It's not just Democratic politicians who lack a spine (290 comments)

•  Are you serious? (2+ / 0-)
    Sherri in TX, citizenx

Given all of the reaction I've seen to the elections just held, self-questioning is the last term I would use to describe Democrats.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:07:02 AM PST

•  Democrats as opposed to liberals (10+ / 0-)

As an old liberal I know the difference, I wish other people did too. Its just that its the ONLY party that comes even close to what I believe and since they're the only ones who can even put up a semi adequate defense against Republican rule, I support them.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:20:28 AM PST

•  I usually disagree with you (1+ / 0-)
      dinotrac

You earn your name well, but at least you are open with it, and I respect that.

On this point, though, I agree with you.  But, I'm coming at it from a different angle I suspect.

I get both arguments, I like the progress that we have made, but feel that Obama has ignored the Progressives too much we didn't pass some of the changes we need.

They are both valid.  I disagree that tearing Obama down is an effective political strategy.

"Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected" ~Mahatma Gandhi

by Kiku on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:58:31 AM PST

•  Obama is guilty of being young and inexperienced (0+ / 0-)

more than anything else.  He's a smart guy and may yet assert himself in a useful way.  At least he didn't invade Cuba.

My not-so-humble opinion is that the Democrats tried to do some good things in a bad way.

More smaller bills might have been better received, and might not have consumed so much of the administration's attention that it failed to seriously address the conditions forcing many of us to live in extended joblessness.

Plus...there is an arithmetic element to large complex bills that tends to water them down more than smaller ones.

Any bill has to garner a majority, but the problem of a big bill is this:

If you have 3 initiatives, A, B, and C -- each one has to win a majority, but they don't have to win the same majority.  Put them in the same bill, say, X, and they do have to win the same majority.  That makes a problem winning over people who love A but don't think much of C.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 11:09:01 AM PST

•  Agreed on young and inexperienced. (2+ / 0-)
          dinotrac, PhillyJeff

I don't think there's any training to be President.

There's also a counter argument to breaking things down, and that is that they have to keep having the same fight.  I think that make it's harder to bring up new pieces on old arguments, the energy gets spent.  For example, the public option hasn't gotten any new momentum.  For that reason, I tend to think Obama's method was better, but I'm hearing what you are saying.  They do seem to be passing other smaller pieces now.

Obama did learn from Clinton's mistake, every time he injected himself, Congress told him to back off.  We got some good legislation passed with that, not everything.  And, we can use your strategy of coming back at it again to get the new pieces.

Personally, I think Obama is brilliant, and I'm very happy with what he's gotten done.  I understand the frustration too.  I think Obama was trying to thread the needle, get good legislation passed for support from Dems, and not threaten the establishment too much to maintain their support as well.

With the country suffering, it seems we needed to lash out, or at least to not be motivated, and the right was in no mood to be charitable on reforms that increase regulations and taxes.

by Kiku on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 12:56:03 PM PST

•  It's a lot more than lashing out. (0+ / 0-)

Reasonable minds may differ, but, as my employment (without benefits, I might add) stretched longer and longer, I kept wondering when my problems (and those of others in my boat) would become a priority.

Honestly, I had the impression that something would always be more important than my family's welfare.  That made it very hard for to vote Democratic in this last election, and, beyond strictly local offices, I didn't.

Now we get a chance to see if anybody's learned anything.
            Both parties, whether they know it or not, need an improving economy.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 01:06:35 PM PST

•  There were a lot of forces suppressing (0+ / 0-)

the economy.

Banks weren't lending, corporations weren't spending, people were scared and they weren't spending, Republicans were filibustering.

We would have done a lot more if not for the Republicans.

by Kiku on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 02:10:46 PM PST

•  Could have done a lot more by matching actions (0+ / 0-)

to words.

I keep up better than 99% of Americans, and I didn't see much serious effort aimed at job creation other than the badly aimed stimulus package at the very beginning of the Obama administration.

One thing I do know is this: I have never been unemployed for as long as I have been now.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 02:40:05 PM PST