View Diary: Poll: It's not just Democratic politicians who lack a spine (290 comments)

•  Compromise is OK so long as we get what we need (5+ / 0-)

and this "at least I got half a loaf" shit doesn't really get us anywhere.

The GOP gets the loaf, we get the crust.

Dems could fight a lot fucking more than they do.

They are wimps, for the most part.

Yes... I have little respect for constant nonstop compromise.

America's Priorities 11.8.10: Torture - Yes, Marijuana - No.

by xxdr zombiexx on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:08:24 AM PST

•  that sounds like the GOP (5+ / 0-)

we'll compromise as long as we get everything that we wanted!

compromise is almost by definition splitting the loaf.  If you're against "splitting the loaf" then you're against the very idea of compromise

•  Let me be really clear. (1+ / 0-)
        slinkerwink

I do not respect compromise.

I view it as losing.

I don't have this rosy warm feeling that you seem to get from getting less than what you have worked for.

Compromise is one reason this country is so fucked up" dems always compromising with the fucking repubs.

Nest time your the victim of some robbery, try not to fight back, try to give the robber something, see if he will let you keep some...

America's Priorities 11.8.10: Torture - Yes, Marijuana - No.

by xxdr zombiexx on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:12:50 AM PST

•  except (3+ / 0-)

that Democrats don't "own" the government or anything for that matter.

The GOP has the right to cast their votes their way as much as Democrats do.

•  Yes but they are a bunch of antisocial fuckwits (0+ / 0-)

who needs to be compromising with them?

America's Priorities 11.8.10: Torture - Yes, Marijuana - No.

by xxdr zombiexx on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:18:01 AM PST

•  How, then, do you propose achieving something? (0+ / 0-)

Do we just try to vanquish them? Isn't war pretty much the physical manifestation of people who can't compromise? You all decide the only way to solve this problem is to kill each other until one side gives in. Usually, both sides end up losing more than either would have gained by compromise.

I'm not saying give up your principles; rather, I am saying understand why you have those principles and what it is you would like to accomplish. Because if you aren't interested in accomplishing anything, then you're just standing on a soapbox, preaching to the air.

•  Too bad everything they want is bad for us. (1+ / 1-)
            buzzybodhi
            Hidden by:
            FleetAdmiralJ

I still think you'd compromise with a carjacker.

And then brag about it.

America's Priorities 11.8.10: Torture - Yes, Marijuana - No.

by xxdr zombiexx on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:21:27 AM PST

•  That's unfortunate because they (0+ / 0-)

are fucked up people.

We should fight back against them because they have only shitty ideas.

I wish they had good ones, but they don't and you know it.

Compromising with them is fucked up.

America's Priorities 11.8.10: Torture - Yes, Marijuana - No.

by xxdr zombiexx on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:36:14 AM PST

•  compromise is fine (2+ / 0-)
          Aspe4, Whatithink

as long as both sides are doing it. Realistically that is the only way anything will get done in DC. The problem is when the Dems compomise and the pugs don't. Then we just give, give, give, sacrificing our convictions until we are at their position.

True compomise is fine. Unfortunately, it is an endangered species in modern politics.

Where there is no joy there can be no courage; and without courage all other virtues are worthless. -Edward Abbey

by beefydaddy18 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:24:38 AM PST

•  "I do not respect compromise" (0+ / 0-)

I do not respect compromise.

I view it as losing.

How do you apply this dogmatic stance to, say, buying a house?  Or deciding what to get on a pizza?

"No mushrooms!  I view it as losing!  I will not be cowed!  I do not compromise!"

•  Note that's not the allegory. (1+ / 0-)
        xxdr zombiexx

The crumbs are not adequate.  Half a loaf would be.

But that's NOT. WHAT. WE. ARE. GETTING.

The administration has done virtually nothing designed to reward its partisans. - Kos 8/31/10

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:13:58 AM PST

•  your argument rests on the fiction that (1+ / 0-)
        Aspe4

progressive ideas are unacceptable to the majority. you're wrong. as you can see from poll after poll, progressive policies are popular with people of all political stripes, so they're good politics.

msnbc = fox = bullshit

by output on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:38:23 AM PST

•  Exactly, it Depends on How a Pollster (1+ / 0-)
          Mr MadAsHell

asks the question. If you ask someone "do you favor liberal policies," many will answer "no" because of the liberal label. But if you ask about specific policies without attributing it to any ideology or political party, then you will get a different answer.

My back is spineless. My back is yellow. I am the American non-voter. -The Simpsons, Episode 2, Season 3, "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington"

by Aspe4 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:42:48 AM PST

•  The Concept of Compromise is Fine When Both Sides (1+ / 0-)
        Mr MadAsHell

are negotiating in good faith. But they way politics is now, the GOP becomes ever more radical and extremely conservative and they expect the Dems to move to their ever more extreme position. Example: health insurance reform was an old republican plan from the early 1990's, back when repugs actually posited ideas. But in 2009, they posited no plan and the Dems used the old repug plan and they attacked Dems for it. Cap and Trade is also an old repug idea championed by the first president Bush. The Overton Window continues to move rightward. At this rate, in 20 years, Sarah Palin will be considered left-of-center.

by Aspe4 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 09:39:39 AM PST