View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Executing the innocent (267 comments)

•  I've been thinking about that a lot lately (2+ / 0-)
    Meteor Blades, Wildthumb

(actually I've thought about it on and off for about 40 years) and I think that building something loosely along those lines would be possible as a way of countering money in politics, the control of the media, unresponsive politicians in DC, or at lower levels, and winning elections. In a lot of places, it only takes a community of about 2% of the vote or less to swing an election, for example.

Oddly enough, I've come to the conclusion that in political terms, that's some of how the old urban political machines in places, like NYC, Chicago, KC, Albany, Boston and other places operated to an extent. At least they drew on features that involved mutual aid and interdependence.

You see some features of that even in things like the open source movement - I worked on software for years with people in the UK and Germany and the Netherlands that I've never met, spoken to, or even seen.

And where I live now is a small community of very like-minded people about 10 miles outside a small town that has some of those features too.

The revolution in communications makes approximations of co-operative, close societies possible, like this community does.

But in the end, I think you still need the frequent face-to-face contact that real communities offer - I think we're wired for that.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the administration.

by badger on Fri Nov 12, 2010 at 10:05:55 PM PST

•  I think Meteor Blades started a real discussion (1+ / 0-)
      badger

today. So much to say here.

If I could add to this "ideal society," I'd add a psychological or therapetic dimension. A kind of
      mutual counseling, (or "co-counseling:) set-up where we could dump our daily distresses safely and without fear of censure or ridicule. Nobody would be paid for this: it would be simply peer self-help.

O, it is excellent to have a giant's strength; but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant." --Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

by Wildthumb on Fri Nov 12, 2010 at 10:30:43 PM PST

•  Maybe someday I'll diary some of this (1+ / 0-)
        Wildthumb

and maybe you should too - I'd be interested to hear what you have to say, because my thoughts on it are still somewhat muddled, and you seem to have given it some thought.

A lot of people here, since the election, if not for other reasons, have been asking "What do we do next?" or "Where do we go from here?", and I think there are some answers in organizing groups or small communities and using them for outreach, helping people with local problems (which are things the old machines did) and building an electoral base.

Or it's just nice to build a community, do things for other people, and hopefully have people who'll be around to help you out too.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the administration.

by badger on Fri Nov 12, 2010 at 11:17:20 PM PST

•  The old machines were corrupt. They only did (0+ / 0-)

things for people to get their votes and the power to steal from the public. Buy elections, take bribes to hire firms and individuals to build things.

It's like the Mafia.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid (even in an off year election!)

by auapplemac on Sat Nov 13, 2010 at 12:40:40 AM PST

•  And the difference now is ... (0+ / 0-)

that politicians still use their power to steal from the public - buy elections, take bribes (excuse me, campaign donations) to hire firms and individuals to build things, just like the Mafia - except they no longer do things for people to get their votes.

That's progress, I guess.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the administration.

by badger on Sat Nov 13, 2010 at 09:01:03 AM PST

•  I keep thinking about writing diaries here but (0+ / 0-)

always manage to avoid it. It's a great topic, though, and again, it's always empowering to think about a society that could be nurturing and humane vis-a-vis the ones we have now.

Hey, you write the diary and I'll post lots of stuff!

by Wildthumb on Sat Nov 13, 2010 at 08:21:27 AM PST