View Diary: Dems Kill Retroactive Mortgage Fraud Bill (132 comments)

•  On the bright side... (3+ / 0-)
    ferallike, elwior, Fe Bongolan

the fact that the rethugs how have control of the House will give the country an inside view of how they will govern, or not, should they make a real run of the White House in 2012. So, this could be a good thing, especially if silly sarah gets the nomination. Keep the faith.

•  SHOULD give the country an "inside view" (9+ / 0-)

of how the GOP works.

Excuse me, but shouldn't the American people know already?

They don't, you say?

This is like praising Americans for cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I would have thought it would be BETTER to avoid as much republican control as possible to keep them from fucking up our lives any further.

I don't want to exist in a half-assed reality when a real, good, and proper reality IS possible and ONLY prevented by GOP ill will and Democratic commitment to compromising with failure.

Yes. I know this diary is about dems accomplishing something - the question is HOW DID THEY do something right and make it stick?

There are all sorts of things this country needs that the Dems need to make happen.

Obviously they can - how we can get them to do it all the time is probably still a mystery.

America legalized torture before they legalized marijuana.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:20:54 AM PST

•  We have already had that. (6+ / 0-)

It was called (variously) the "Bush/Cheney Regime".

We know how they work.  A reminder should not be necessary.

My life is an open book, and I want a rewrite!

by trumpeter on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 09:38:13 AM PST

•  Those who keep up with reality know (1+ / 0-)
        Ignacio Magaloni

Those who watch a lot of television have their minds filled with misinformation and empty "information".  And that would be most Americans:

The report, issued Monday and covering the last three months of 2008, shows that the average American television viewer is watching more than 151 hours of television per month -- an "all-time" high -- up from more than 145 hours during the same period the previous year, Nielsen said.

The increase in television watching is part of a long-term trend, said Nielsen spokesman Gary Holmes.

There is nothing reasonable being discussed as solutions to any of our problems. - pgm 01

by geomoo on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 10:45:26 AM PST

•  Oops. Those who watch television DON'T KNOW nt (0+ / 0-)

by geomoo on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 10:51:35 AM PST

•  Well gee (2+ / 0-)
          Tamar, Calamity Jean

when you're not working and don't have any money, TV is your only escape.

You want those viewing hours to go down, get people some JOBS.

•  "TV is your only escape" (1+ / 0-)
            tacet

Very sad.  You are saying that most of the country has no idea what to do with their own time.  No wonder the word "freedom" has lost most of its meaning.  It's either working for someone who tells them what to do or watching television.  That's all most people can come up with.  So. very. sad.

I disagree vehemently.  Television is an addiction, just like drugs.  As you acknowledge, it's an escape, just like drugs.  Imo, it's a national scourge, just like drugs.  Addiction to television is a prime reason corporations can get away with shipping jobs overseas while pinning the blame for the resultant poverty on those who fight for the working class.

by geomoo on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 12:31:37 PM PST

•  I think what mmacdDE meant was that (2+ / 0-)
              Calamity Jean, geomoo

people are depressed -- months spent looking and not finding a job, or finding a job that pays much less than the one lost, maybe knowing you're going to lose your house and there's nothing you can do about it -- all of that would certainly make people depressed.  Depression can make people who are otherwise energetic and creative exhausted and indifferent.  People in that state probably watch huge amounts of television.
              I know and understand this because when I was at the end of a bad marriage many many years ago, I just didn't feel like doing anything.  I couldn't find anything of interest, my future seemed dismal, and I dragged around doing as little as possible.  After a therapist helped me out of the marriage, it was amazing how different things looked to me.  It was as though a curtain had been drawn on a whole new world.

If, in our efforts to win, we become as dishonest as our opponents on the right, we don't deserve to triumph.

by Tamar on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 12:50:51 PM PST

•  I often see (1+ / 0-)
              geomoo

young people on facebook or craigslist moaning about how bored they are.

To me, that's just an indication that they have no imagination.  it has likely been leached out of them by the idiot box.

My life is an open book, and I want a rewrite!

by trumpeter on Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 02:57:59 PM PST