View Diary: Tax deal still in doubt. So are the parties to the deal. (317 comments)

•  Yeah, we all can't wait for President Palin. (1+ / 0-)
    CalliopeIrjaPearl
    •  You know. With all due respect... (11+ / 0-)

This argument (threat) just doesn't work on me anymore.

"Whenever a fellow tells me he's bipartisan, I know he's going to vote against me."-- Harry S. Truman

by irmaly on Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 07:15:23 PM PST

•  In America the winner will be either (2+ / 0-)
        TDreamer, CalliopeIrjaPearl

a Democrat or a Republican.  If you vote against Obama, it gets the Republican 1 vote closer to be President.  Since Palin is the leading Republican, she is the likely benefactor of a protest vote against Obama.

•  Whatever. (9+ / 0-)

I've been working Democratic politics for over 30 years. This "vote for us, we're better than the alternative" just isn't getting it for me anymore. Apparently it didn't work too well with the rank and file in November either.

by irmaly on Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 07:26:01 PM PST

•  I won't give the Republicans what they want... (0+ / 0-)

...and Obama isn't getting off that easy, unless he doesn't run again!

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 07:29:46 PM PST

•  Love this logic (4+ / 0-)
          cdreid, irmaly, Atlas5, jeopardydd

It's one of my favorite hits of the Defenders, a new retro rock a fella band.

So, by your logic so long as I don't vote for a republican (eg, I vote for a third party) I get the Dems 1 vote closer to being  president, right?

•  If Obama Does Not Improve, He Could Open the Door (3+ / 0-)
          cdreid, irmaly, Heart of the Rockies

to a possible Palin victory.

If Obama does not pull his head out of where-ever it's stuck, he loses large portions of the traditional base, large portions of the new base he brought in and large portions of the swing voters that went over to him in reaction against Bush and because they were insufficiently inspired by McCain.

At some point, if Obama continues to follow the negotiating approach, policy positions, key staffing appointments, PR approach (saving his toughest words and "passion" for those pushing for him to do more instead of those pushing against his every move), he might create the only circumstances under which someone like Palin could actually win.

He built up the hope and expectations for change very high.  He wanted and need the buy-in to his personal style, approach to DC, integrity and committment to the people (not ideological purity, but prioritizing us before all others).

The highest highs can lead to the lowest lows, and this time around both the Republicans and his own supporters will be dealing with body of work and 4 years of 'relationship'.

Right now, he's on a road that could open up the White House doors to Sarah Palin.  The level of doom that such an event would bring, I leave to your own assessment and potential individual response.

He is walking a very dangerous path, more dangerous than a second dip (when most of us are still solidly stuck back in the first.)

Vagabond Day - Christmas Consumer Strike http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/11/30/924311/-General-Consumer-Strike-Starting-12.19.10

by Into The Woods on Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 08:18:51 PM PST

•  Palin is not going to be the GOP nominee (4+ / 0-)
      cdreid, PZinOR, Atlas5, orestes1963

they now see the WH in their grasp and know Palin is unelectable. No one swiftboats better than the GOP, expect to see lots of anonymous dirt coming out on Palin in the coming months

Proud Member of the Vast Sanctimonius Wing Conspiracy

by polticoscott on Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 07:39:47 PM PST

•  And if people think HRC is polarizing (2+ / 0-)
        cdreid, Atlas5

they aint seen nothing yet.  Palin has no chance to be president, in the same way that Giuliani never stood a chance.  Neither can stand up to scrutiny.  I'd love to hear Palin explain why it was a smart political move to resign as governor in the middle of her term.

But then with whom would they try to scare us?  Political neophytes.

•  The GOP Thinks They're Riding the Tiger they (0+ / 0-)

created and nurtured in the Tea Party.

The events and changes would not have to be very radical for those folks to not allow anyone else to muster sufficient support.

The various factions within that party all have huge resources and frankly, I can no longer say that a sufficient number of Republican Americans would know better if presented with more than a few possible scenarios.

by Into The Woods on Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 08:22:04 PM PST