View Diary: URGENT: Last chance to get a better tax cut deal (163 comments)

•  NOBODY HERE SUPPORTS THIS CRAP! (15+ / 0-)

Get over it already. Obama has ZERO credibility.

•  I do (1+ / 0-)
      Sophie Amrain

Please don't call me names for being a liberal with a difference of opinion.

~a little change goes a long way~

by missliberties on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 02:14:35 PM PST

•  Oh please (3+ / 0-)

Some people are shouting louder than others.  And by "here" you certainly don't mean the public in general.

They tortured people to get false confessions to justify invading Iraq.

by yet another liberal on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 02:18:18 PM PST

•  Here (6+ / 0-)

I've been here since 2004 so that at least should earn me the right to state my opinion on this site. I'm not going to be shouted down so get over it.

•  I do not agree with him but he has a right (8+ / 0-)

to state his opinion.  This response is over the top.

Curt, you should care about the deficit because the Cat Food Commission recommendations will get passed with the deficit as an excuse.  I recommend this piece by James Galbraith:

Large countries can and do fail, they have done so in our own time. And the consequences are very grave: drastic declines in services, in living standards, in life expectancies, huge increases in social tension, in repression, and in violence. These are the consequences of following through with crackpot ideas such as those embodied in the Bowles-Simpson deficit commission, as Jeff Madrick again outlined, such notions as putting arbitrary limits on the scale of government, or arbitrary limits on the top tax rate affecting the wealthiest Americans.

This isn't a parlor game. The outcome isn't destined to be alright. It will not necessarily end in progress whatever happens. What we do, how we proceed, and how we effectively resist what is plainly about to happen, matters very greatly for the future of our country, of our children, and of another generation to come. We need to lose our fear, our hesitation, and our unwillingness to face the facts. If we thereby lose some of our hopes, let's remember the dictum of William of Orange that "it is not necessary to hope in order to persevere."

Take the pledge on Social Security

by 2laneIA on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 03:03:14 PM PST

•  Cat Food Commission (4+ / 0-)

I'll be there fighting against them if President Obama or any other Democratic politician tries to weaken Social Security. I'm in favor of a much stronger safety net than we currently enjoy and completely agree that the Simpson-Bowles plan was a travesty.

I don't agree however that this tax deal really does endanger the future of Social Security. There's a thread below where I lay out my reasons for that belief.

•  I see the commission as an opportunity (1+ / 0-)
          Sophie Amrain

to seriously revamp the tax code in the name of reducing the deficit.

But don't dare say that around here. Some are so blinded  hysteria they can't even comprehend what an opportunity it will be in the next Congress when the folks start shrieking about the deficit to set out such reforms.

~a little change goes a long way~

by missliberties on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 04:12:16 PM PST

•  Maybe that would be true in a Democratic congress (1+ / 0-)
            We Won

Some are so blinded by [followership] that they can't even comprehend what an opportunity it will be [for the Republicans] in the next Congress when the folks [on the Cat Food Commission continue] shrieking about the deficit to set out such reforms.

Take the pledge on Social Security

by 2laneIA on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:02:29 PM PST

•  I appreciate the sentiment. (1+ / 0-)
          We Won

Your confidence is misplaced.  It's late in Iowa and I'm not going to go looking for another thread without a link.  Here's why you should worry.  Read the whole thing.  There's a lot more out there on this subject, but Nancy Altman knows more than almost anyone about it.  Jed Lewison explained why the Repubs are so excited about it earlier today.

Take the pledge on Social Security

by 2laneIA on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:58:58 PM PST

•  Nobody? I think you're confusing (4+ / 0-)

happiness with taking a good hard look at the situation.

I second Curt.

I could care less if the Bush tax cuts expire. Wouldn't bother me in the least. However, unemployement benefits for millions are also going to expire. So are the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Child Tax Credit and the American Opportunity Act.
      All of which are vital for millions of Americans.

And it's those Americans that the Republicans could care less about.

Ezra Klein spelled it out very succiently the other night on Lawrence O'Donnell's show.

The Republicans said if they didn't get a deal on the Estate Tax, at a cost of 10 billion over two years, then we were not getting the Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit and American Opportunities Credit, at a cost of 40 billion. The EIC, CTC and AOA are all due to expire at the end of this month.

Get it!? They were holding 13% of the American people AND the unemployed hostage.

So yes, the monied few got a 10 billion break on the Estate Tax that won't stimulate the economy. Though it helps a little on this deal to know that they would have been paying zero, nada, zilch in Estate Taxes this year, otherwise. And yes, the Bush Tax Cuts are sill in place. Temporarily.

More importantly in my view, is that those who need help the most will get far more - 40 billion and that money is stimulative. As is unemployment.

Helping the poor and struggling far outweighs temporarily helping the rich.

Unless, of course, like the Republicans you're willing to sacrifice them up to political goals.

Does that mean I'm happy? Hell no.

But it's about time that everyone woke up to the fact that the Republicans have been playing hostage takers with this country for a very long time.

And they aren't planning on stopping.

So go ahead, kill this compromise.
      Go for it.

Let the Bush Tax Cuts expire.

Let the unemployed keep on adding to the ranks of the Disappeared.

Let the EIC, CTC, and AOC expire too.

Then what are you going to do?

Have fun getting anything you want done with the Republican controlled House with a Republican Chair of the Ways and Means Committee.

What leverage will we have then?

What would we have to give up?

Elizabeth Warren for example?
      Finance Reform?
      Student Aid Reform?
      Health Care Reform?
      VA funding?
      Green jobs initiatives?

Who would be hurt or do they even matter?

Where are the votes going to come from?

What's the damn plan if this compromise fails?

And who's really going to pay the price?

In spite of the President's repeated requests to do so, Congressional Democrats refused to vote on extending the Bush Tax Cuts for those making $250,000 or less before the mid-terms. Then we've got Republican's like John Boehner who want to freeze government spending at 2008 levels. You know, Republican speak for cutting the Federal work force by 10%. And he'd like to continue the moratorium on the federal estate tax. That's our next Speaker of the House.

Given all that can we get a better deal?

I don't know.

But we should be responsible enough to consider the fallout if the whole thing falls apart.

Again I ask, what's the plan?

And again, all I'm hearing is crickets.

Portraying this compromise as a betrayal by or sole responsibility of the President is illogical at best.

"I get up, I walk, I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing." Daniel Hillel

by Onomastic on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 03:07:07 PM PST

•  You think THIS deal is crap, (3+ / 0-)
      Sophie Amrain, Curt Matlock, pengiep

you ain't seen nuttin' yet if this gets pushed into Jan. when the repubs take over the House, and the Dems majority shrinks in the Senate. I say pass this bad boy.....NOW!

•  I do support it. (0+ / 0-)

He who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

by Sophie Amrain on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 04:38:47 PM PST