View Diary: Is it even possible to stop, much less reverse our course? (113 comments)

•  there is always working locally (9+ / 0-)

And if that doesn't work for you, plant a tree. That's what I do. I planted some trees today.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:33:39 PM PST

•  I'm not much of a tree planter (4+ / 0-)
      jmaier, satanicpanic, science nerd, Miep

but I'm a big fan of working locally. Part of why we are in this fix is that we didn't build enough base locally to ground a progressive agenda. Some interesting stuff is happening in states. My city managed to come up with a universal health plan. There's plenty to do. And doing is the best remedy for despair.

Nothing against trees BTW. Just not how I do it. :-)

•  There's definately something to be said... (7+ / 0-)
      ...about local participation.

And that's going to be very important in the coming years as we try and build up our party.

can't grow a tree (literal or figurative) until you plant it.

I have a bag of wildflower seeds I wnat to make into seed balls and throw them in a vacant lot near my house.  that could be pretty.

The pie is a lie!

by DawnG on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:47:54 PM PST

•  that will work (2+ / 0-)
        Nulwee, science nerd

if you live in a rainy area.

If you don't live in a rainy area, find an abandoned ditch/lowlying area, if you want to get that going.

Also, think about when you do it. When is your rainy season? Do it right before then. Seeds don't survive forever.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:49:09 PM PST

•  we don't get much rain. (2+ / 0-)
          Nulwee, Miep

but we get a LOT of snow in february/march.

And they're wildflower seeds so they should be able to take it.  The coldest times tend to be in january here (although it's been an INCREDIBLY warm, dry winter thus far).

The pie is a lie!

by DawnG on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:55:52 PM PST

•  I"m even thinking about... (1+ / 0-)
          Miep

...tracing an outline of wildflower seeds so they grow in a pattern.  That would be cool.

The pie is a lie!

by DawnG on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:56:25 PM PST

•  I've seen photos of that done (0+ / 0-)

We get very warm and dry La Ninas where I live, too. But we get our rain in the summer.

So, if you get your snow in the winter, you should definitely get your seed out there early, like by January. If you want to cultivate it instead of broadcast it, I'd just plain dig up the soil and rake the seed in ASAP. It won't do anything until it warms up enough anyway, and meanwhile the soil will take care of it.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:59:19 PM PST

•  That's a great idea, DawnG (1+ / 0-)
        Miep

Sunflowers, if they'll grow ok on their own, are always great idea. They take up the heavy metal pollutants in the urban soil and feed bees.

Mel Gibson makes movies that look like snuff films shot by Abercrombie & Fitch's photographer. -9.38, -5.18

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:55:52 PM PST

•  I wonder. (2+ / 0-)
          Nulwee, Miep
          We have so many birds and squirrels I don't think I could even plant seeds without them getting eaten by something.

But that sounds like an awesome idea.  Or maybe something like daylilies.

The pie is a lie!

by DawnG on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:05:30 PM PST

•  I never have noticed my sunflowers (1+ / 0-)
          Nulwee

attracting bees. But they do attract birds, and besides; they're sunflowers. That's good enough.

I also love my Mexican sunflowers.

Tithonia again

These attract butterflies and hummingbirds like nobody's business. They're fairly drought hardy too, and grow up quickly if you give them some love.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:10:08 PM PST

•  Bees only see ultraviolet if I'm not mistaken (1+ / 0-)
            Miep

if you're in a flower rich area, they might be drawn towards the blue/purple flowers more... and I have noticed that blues/purples of manifold species do tend to get bee visitors fast.

Sunflowers are a favorite of scrub and blue jays... they quickly learn to perch on the flowers, waiting for the day the seeds fall out. Squirrels too.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:12:06 PM PST

•  I've heard basil is good for bees (1+ / 0-)
              Nulwee

which would make sense with what you're, since that whole family tends to have flowers that run to blues and reds (though not always, of course).

We don't have many jays here. Lots of sparrows and grackles. The sparrows are the main beneficiaries of my garden, aside from the grackles (and the doves) feeding upon the pecans.

The squirrels (fox squirrels, introduced) go after the pecans, but my dog chases them (along with the birds) and since the squirrels can't fly, they don't play this dangerous game too much.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:15:32 PM PST

•  That's probably for the best (1+ / 0-)
                Miep

squirrels are rather cute but out-compete birds, especially when homeowners give them an easy dole.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:24:07 PM PST

•  lol (1+ / 0-)
                  Nulwee

you just reminded me of something...my father's father used to feed birds, and he'd get out there and just freaking stalk housecats and squirrels...nothing got to compete with his birds!

He'd get really rowdy about it.

Gave me my first Audubon bird-whistle. The little red wooden jobs with the twisty chirpy metal piece.

I still have one of those.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:32:03 PM PST

•  Sounds like a fun guy. (1+ / 0-)
                    Miep

Birders are all right.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:46:18 PM PST

•  My stepfather is one too, and my eldest (1+ / 0-)
                      Nulwee

half-brother.

My mom says she's seen my stepfather get wild birds to light upon his arms. Nothing fancy, just your usual synanthropic birds.

Still.

Never been my knack. I do like the grackles, though. They get dissed a lot but they're pretty neat birds. Very complex little critters. Doves, not so much.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:56:09 PM PST

•  Owls catch my fancy (1+ / 0-)
                        Miep

they can be... truly spooky though. I once lived on the remnants of a farm. I'd climb the stairs to the upper barn and pop out of the stairway... right underneath a Great Horned Owls' nest. Nice place to test your inner fear, as they swoop down over your head.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 11:05:22 PM PST

•  I don't think I've ever seen an owl around here (1+ / 0-)
                          Nulwee

We do have a lot of raptors, though. And all the turkey vultures one could ever desire :-)

My mom's up in Washington State, and some months ago they had an owl visit their back yard, just sat on a fence for awhile so she could photograph it. She was pretty jazzed about that. Some kind of barred owl I think?

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

• Politics (16)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Media (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Barack Obama (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site