View Diary: Is it even possible to stop, much less reverse our course? (113 comments)

•  I don't know that it's optimism (6+ / 0-)

it's just a sense of the trends. Because it's easy to get lost in the information overload, and much harder to get that ladder-high perspective, let alone an aerial-based view.

Liberals and conservatives both are left to mourn things that are dying so ugly that it's shocking to take in. The idea is that we can save those things, but really justice demands we create new things radically. These are trying times.

Some of our hard battles will look insignificant someday, and many of us are going to rise from minor note to legend or admiration, but for reasons we are too short-sighted to appreciate or expect.

Mel Gibson makes movies that look like snuff films shot by Abercrombie & Fitch's photographer. -9.38, -5.18

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:40:26 PM PST

•  what a lovely comment (5+ / 0-)

No wonder you get along with conservatives. If I had a mindset like that, I could likely get along with anybody..

Meanwhile, this aerial-based view is just killing me.

Must.Plant.More.Trees.

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:41:58 PM PST

•  Heh, heh. (3+ / 0-)
        satanicpanic, science nerd, Miep

I can get along with some conservatives, but there are some I have the ugliest flamefests with, too.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:50:40 PM PST

•  Not! shocked, I tell you. (eom) (1+ / 0-)
          Nulwee

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 09:53:41 PM PST

•  That is a prettier purple (1+ / 0-)
            Miep

than you'll usually find in the northwest. You also have coneflower, yarrow and, my personal favorite, Sand Lily.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:22:46 PM PST

•  We had yarrow growing wild (1+ / 0-)
              Nulwee

in New England. And from what I hear from friends and family in the PNW, everything grows there, and usually too much.

I've never seen yarrow growing wild here, though I could probably grow it tame if I tried; likely even get it to naturalize (if I watered it).

I'm not in Colorado, though...perhaps I've confused you? I'm down in SE NM.

I was just thinking that maybe this aster would work in Colorado because it is so hardy here.

We have Mexican hats here, though. They are lovely.

Mexican hats 2

"Moral high ground, meet mountain top removal." - David Kroning II

by Miep on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:27:36 PM PST

•  Sorry, I meant DawnG (1+ / 0-)
                Miep

I think she's in Colorado. Yarrow is cicumboreal (Achillea millefolium) although the subspecies differ. I know that various subspecies extend across the northern part of the 48 and it's in Alaska. Not surprising it would be on the subpolar coastal plains of New England.

by Nulwee on Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:48:03 PM PST

•  Yeah, pretty much everything grows here (2+ / 0-)
                Charles CurtisStanley, Miep

except lemon trees, much to my sorrow, as I love Meyer lemons.

The things that grow here best are blackberry bushes. Also moss (you get it on your car, even), scotch broom, and more blackberry bushes.

Living kidney donor needed; type B, O, or incompatible (with paired donation). Drop me a note (see profile).

by Kitsap River on Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 01:10:12 AM PST

•  yeah, probably not warm enough (1+ / 0-)
                  Kitsap River

for citrus.

I know about those blackberries...they line the roads for miles. And the moss, and the scotch broom...don't forget that variegated white and green leafed stuff that escaped from planter boxes, what is that called? (wracks brain) Lamia. False lamia.

Yep, y'all have a great climate for invasive things. I have a broom plant in my yard; they don't invade here. Not enough rain. No moss. Mushrooms sometimes, though.

"You can call it whatever you want...you can call it a very long speech." -Bernie Sanders

by Miep on Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 08:20:47 PM PST