View Diary: Another tax deal ticking bomb: State aid excluded (86 comments)

•  Yeah... (11+ / 0-)

They'll love it. Their whole ideology is predicated on a deep belief that government cannot work so that when they intentionally drive the country off the cliff it "proves" their ideology.

They create their own evidence for their end-time mythology. Sociopaths.

•  That attitude always mystifies me (3+ / 0-)
      Pd, ssgbryan, xaxnar

They want huge armies invading foreign countries so they need a federal goverment. They want the states to have more control then the federal goverment so that implies a need for a decent sized state government. And they usually want lots of cops to arrest brown people and put them in jails which requires a county/municipal government. But they HATE government. Sociopaths? More like lunatics.

I have a purpose in life, I am my cat's doorman.

by ontheleftcoast on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 02:33:06 PM PST

•  Seems to me... (6+ / 0-)

That they're fairly consistent. I mean, just look at how Republicans approach each of those issues.

Their solution to the cost of police and prisons? Privatization and slave labor.

Their solution to the cost of foreign adventurism? Privatization and eliminating health, salary, and basic safety protections for the (largely non-white) troops.

And regarding "states rights," they don't want states to do more or to replace the federal government. They just want to be able pass racist exclusionary laws.

I'll give you the lunatics thing, though :).

•  listening to Bernie Sanders read letters (6+ / 0-)

and experiencing something I have never experienced before, finding myself weeping uncontrollably. Its unbelievable to me that Republicans can have absolutely no empathy for the suffering they cause and that they can be a Scrooge at Christmas as you say even for the 9/11 police and fire, the troops, the sick, the elderly, the unemployed, the homeless and those who have to choose between keeoing the house warm enough that the pipes don't freeze, and buying baby food, or gas, burning the furniture to stay warm.

What they want is just as you say deregulation, privitization, ways to get around the safety rules that might save lives but affect the bottom line.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 02:48:31 PM PST

•  Is this why we call them Red and Blue States? (2+ / 0-)
          Van Buren, ontheleftcoast

Continental Poverty Divide

And, no, it's not poverty from just Reservations:

Reservations Map

Maybe when the whole country suffers from want, mayhem, and chaos, the voters will pull their heads out of the sand and elsewhere.

Not that The Congress Death Panel listens to the voters any more.

Look for higher food prices, unemployment, and the privatization of the air you breathe.

If Milt Friedman were alive.....oh, he is.  He's even in the oval office advising the President.  Great!

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 02:54:29 PM PST

•  That poverty rate map is scary (1+ / 0-)
            War on Error

The mountain states buck the trend and if you look at the poverty in ND/SD you could easily count them as red in that map. Wow, poor and voting Republican. WTF is that all about? Is it just xenophobia? Maybe religious zealotry? I don't get it.

I have a purpose in life, I am my cat's doorman.

by ontheleftcoast on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 02:59:36 PM PST

•  or gerrymandering, redistricting, suppressing, (2+ / 0-)
              ontheleftcoast, trumpeter

and out and out voter fraud?

Who knows.

It's crazy.  But the map needs more exposure, and always include the Reservations map, as the other side will try to blame it on those.  I keep that barrel loaded when I present the Poverty Divide map after many experiences of the same rebuff.

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 03:03:52 PM PST

•  That reminds me of (0+ / 0-)

maps we studied in college, showing Europe in the 'modern age' and overlaying that with the realms of Alexander, Rome, Charlemagne, etc.

The realms of Charlemagne roughly define western Europe.

This map overlays very neatly with the Confederacy and the territories aligned with it.

"Morally bankrupt", indeed.

My life is an open book, and I want a rewrite!

by trumpeter on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 03:42:20 PM PST

•  The Obama-Norquist tax cut plan? (2+ / 0-)
      ssgbryan, Van Buren

Heh.

I understand Obama's short term view, that he needs to find "stimulus" for the economy anywhere he can get it because he has no chance of being re-elected if the 2012 economy is as bad as the 2010 economy.

But it's a very short-sighted, Machiavellian approach.

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America this holiday season.

by MJB on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 02:56:32 PM PST

• Media (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site