View Diary: Bernie Sanders Filibuster Liveblog #6 (381 comments)

•  Hmmm wonder why more bankrupt (9+ / 0-)

or unemployed or completely fucking homeless voices aren't heard.

Maybe it's cause they can't afford a fucking computer and internet connection.

"An exact science is one that admits loss" -- Genesis P-Orridge

by jethrock on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 03:37:51 PM PST

•  Oh yeah I forgot... (2+ / 0-)
      Russgirl, Sagebrush Bob

they really can't make campaign contributions either.

"An exact science is one that admits loss" -- Genesis P-Orridge

by jethrock on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 03:43:09 PM PST

•  Or a stamp (9+ / 0-)

Yeah. I'm unemployed and running out of savings.

Literally, I hesitate when I consider using a stamp.

Nobody really understands how the cost of a lousy stamp becomes a decision about priorities until they have been where I am right now.

Until that happens, it's an abstract concept.

"All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats" - Groucho Marx

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 03:45:56 PM PST

•  hang in there (2+ / 0-)
        KimD, DontTaseMeBro

I hope it gets better.

•  I totally understand (1+ / 0-)
        GrumpyOldGeek

it is hard to make any kind of decisions with very, very, limited funds.  Yet, your not alone, there are many of us struggling and Washington need to open their eyes and see the true America.

And not the America that Republicans believe is where employees on minimum wage or the average salary is $100,000.00 or more.  It was never a true reality and it has been killing us for far too long.

Certain violations of the social compact are too terrible to utter aloud: this is the meaning of the word unspeakable. Herman.

by zaka1 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 03:51:13 PM PST

•  It's a bizarre state of mind, isn't it (3+ / 0-)
          zaka1, jethrock, Maverick80229

There is more irony than I can explain to anyone who hasn't experienced uncertainty and fear at this level.

We're invited to attend an annual gathering of about 2 dozen close friends next week.

The host is the president of a holding company that owns dozens of power generating faclities to be adapted to renewable and green fuels. His wife is an international recording artist and is currently founding a state-wide orchestra. Another is a fairly well-known published author. His wife writes a syndicated news column and recently lost her first attempt as a candidate for state representative. Another was an incumbent state rep and lost this time. Another, if he shows up, is the retired founder of a very successful international investment bank. He's obscenely wealthy and a true live free or die Republican. We always give him a hard time, but he loves us because he says he has never met real people before. Really. He is a kind and gracious person, but he lives on his own planet.

Then there's our recently divorced friend who is now greatly relieved because she just turned 65. There's a high school English teacher, a part time surveyor, and a few more that I don't know so well.

There are many kids there, too. Some are extremely bright and have advanced degrees and decent jobs. MIT, Harvard, and Columbia, iirc.

One young man is on active duty in Afghanistan.

Among all this, I think about whether to spend money for a haircut or just to have my wife trim it a bit.

This is how it is.

This is not unlike elderly folks who struggle to get by on Social Security because that's all they've got.

I am well aware of people who are much worse off. I volunteer to help the desperate and homeless when I can. They know I'm one who understands. It's not the same attitude of the church groups and other volunteers who aren't in the same place. Their help is appreciated, but it's not quite the same.

The retired banker volunteers, too. He serves on the board of several well-funded museums and the like. That's his concept of charitable service.

Life goes on.

"All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats" - Groucho Marx

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 04:32:55 PM PST

•  There's a difference... (2+ / 0-)
            zaka1, GrumpyOldGeek

It sounds like an eclectic group of friends you have there, and since it's become an annual affair, you all must get along pretty well.

I can see a difference between those I'll call the 'haughty rich' and the 'understanding who are well-to-do'.

The 'haughty rich' lord their status over those of us who don't have as much, e.g., you, GOG, who has to consider the use of a postage stamp.  Unfortunately, too many in the Congress and in this country's power structure are in this category.

The 'understanding' are folks that are well off, but you'd hardly know it by their actions or their life style.

Your honesty comes through in this entry, and if you're ever in Denver, I'll spring for a cup of coffee.

Or two! :-)

Y'all take care.

WE are the Minutemen of the 21st Century defending our beloved Constitution and the United States of America.

by Maverick80229 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 04:53:18 PM PST

•  Thanks, Mav. (1+ / 0-)
              Maverick80229

It could happen some day. I haven't seen purple mountains' majesty for a long time.

I kind of think that the poster child for the 'haughty rich' is Leona Helmsly. IMO, Barbara Bush comes awfully close to this ideal. Neither would be comfortable with this group of friends. No ass-kissing. Of course, it would be awkward with a dead Leona Helmsley at the dinner table.

"All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats" - Groucho Marx

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 06:55:43 PM PST

•  I think (1+ / 0-)
            GrumpyOldGeek

you make an important point.  Although, there are many different careers or financial levels everyone should be able to mix in a group.  This stopped happening in the 1980's, my family went through the Great Depression and some survive the Holocaust, but everyone was welcomed, educated, laborers, we all ate supper together.  Each person was valued for the person they were.

The point is the attitude in Washington and some who are wealthy, degreed, etc., has been separating the classes and there has been a devaluing of humans and it has become only the wealthy being valued.  But, it is really bad thinking.

How many times I've seen a comment stating that someone lives in a big house and has a lot money, but they are empty people and in my book not worth much value if all they have to offer is their material worth.

by zaka1 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 07:01:43 PM PST