View Diary: It's not the disagreement. It's the disrepect. (249 comments)

•  why even use a sexist and crass phrase (3+ / 0-)
    fhcec, Nashville fan, lightshine

if you KNOW it's going to be interpreted by some as racist, to boot?

Any war requires forces that use their pen against the enemy, not in foolish tirades against their own leader, abetting the enemy. ~qua

by mallyroyal on Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 10:41:59 AM PST

•  I don't use it, but the point.. (0+ / 0-)

....is that it isn't racist, and Obamacrats do not get to redefine the meaning of the English language to suit the political needs of the moment.

Faith? Hope? Trick.

by Alec82 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 10:43:32 AM PST

•  people get to redefine language (4+ / 0-)

ALL THE TIME.  that you deny some the right or ability to do so in a case like this is interesting, I guess.

by mallyroyal on Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 10:47:18 AM PST

•  I deny it.. (0+ / 0-)

...to people who insist that all criticism of Frank is homophobic, of Secretary of State Clinton sexist, of evangelical Christianity bigoted, etcetera.  Because they are simply engaged in opportunistic manipulation of the language in service of a political agenda, oftentimes one that I do not agree with, sometimes one that I agree with.  The point is that they are manipulating a norm against bigotry to suit interests unrelated to that norm.  That is almost as bad as the underlying bigotry.

Faith? Hope? Trick.

by Alec82 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 10:50:16 AM PST

•  see but nobody thinks ALL (2+ / 0-)
            fhcec, Nashville fan

criticism of the president is racist.  just certain kinds.

but I noted this strawman you tossed up in my first post in the diary because it's SO FUCKING TYPICAL and happens every day on this site:

I've not gotten used to so many people PRETENDING that people like me have problems with every single criticism put to this admin and to the president, but I guess if I stick around another two years I will have.

by mallyroyal on Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 10:54:07 AM PST

•  well it is but more to the point (3+ / 0-)
        fhcec, mallyroyal, Nashville fan

language is redefined all the time, because it affects people's thinking about a subject.

If we hadn't redefined certain phrases that were allusions to spousal abuse, those phrases and the ideas that go with them might still be acceptable.

Bumper sticker seen on I-95; "Stop Socialism" my response: "Don't like socialism? GET OFF the Interstate highway!"

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 10:49:43 AM PST

•  well, it may not be racist to you, but... (3+ / 0-)
        mallyroyal, Nashville fan, lightshine

it is racist to a lot of people on this site and in the world.

You may consider that in using it - do you intend to make a racist statement or not?

If not, you might select another term.

That's part of getting along in the world and avoiding unnecessary offense that stops the conversation.

At least, so it seems to me.

•  I don't -- my analogy what overly simple (1+ / 0-)
      mallyroyal