View Diary: House GOP targets student aid for spending cuts (77 comments)

•  Ok, I'm baffled by several comments (6+ / 0-)

above.

-Obama and the Democrats increased Pell Grants.
    -Republicans want to cut them.

-Therefore, Obama and the Democrats. . .suck (??)

In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people!

by cardinal on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 06:20:34 PM PST

•  which is exactly why we need pell grants (3+ / 0-)
      jmaier, cardinal, mr market

Our kids ain't learning

According to my sources in the White House, President Obama is a closet Republican.

by bluefaction on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 06:22:39 PM PST

•  They don't suck yet. (1+ / 0-)
      Free Jazz at High Noon

But we're bracing for more awesome deals like the one for the tax cut. Maybe next we'll trade away student loans so that we don't fire all the bank regulators? You don't want the SEC to shut down, do you?

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” ― Emma Goldman

by Code Monkey on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 06:26:43 PM PST

•  I can hear it now. (2+ / 0-)
        susanala, Code Monkey

"Those bank regulators have families!"

"Why can't those college kids just get a job? I worked my way through school..."

The latter remark kills me, particularly when I tell these folk how much a typical college education goes for these days.

"Well, let them go to a cheaper school!"
        "That is the cheaper school!"
        "Let them go to a community college!"
        "Sure: if they can get in!"

"Space Available!" is the biggest retail chain in the nation.

by Free Jazz at High Noon on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 06:31:30 PM PST

•  Tuition increases are mind boggling (1+ / 0-)
          Code Monkey

My nephew attends the same public university from which I graduated in 1986. Tuition has quintupled in 24 years.

Has minimum wage quintupled? Don't think so. And that or little more is all most students can expect to make.

How about parental income? Hah! Even with more two-earner households, many families don't even have double the income.

Just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean that you don't have to keep time. -- T. Monk

by susanala on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 07:11:44 PM PST

•  I understand. However, (0+ / 0-)

this seems like an odd place to make that argument.  Here we have an Obama-initiated and Democratic-supported policy change that we all agree is good, and that Americans have tangibly benefited from.  On the other side we have Republicans vowing to kill it.  And we don't have a single shred of evidence -- other than our cynicism from being jilted on other policy fights -- that Obama or Dems will yield an inch on this one.

Thus, such remarks, whether intended as such or not, seem to scream "I won't let the facts on the ground get in the way of my Obama bashing."

In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people!

by cardinal on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 06:38:20 PM PST

•  Fair enough. (1+ / 0-)
          cardinal

But it's hard to shake the feeling that the Dems are the enemies and the GOP is just the terrain. We can't change the GOP any more than we can level a mountain.

(Well, we can change the terrain, but it's a decades-long process and we have shit to fix now.)

If I had more confidence that Obama is fighting on our side, that Republicans were the only ones standing between us and our agenda, it'd be easier to focus on them. But it wasn't Republicans that put off tax negotiations until it was far too late to get a decent deal out of it in time for the midterms. And if the predictions are right and Obama doesn't stand firm against cutting Social Security in his SotU address, it won't be Republicans that wrote the speech.

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” ― Emma Goldman

by Code Monkey on Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 07:14:02 PM PST

•  Also: "I won't help elect Dems anymore" (2+ / 0-)
      cardinal, mr market

"Because I'm mad about the compromises that result from too many Republicans in Congress"