View Diary: An Executive Order Allowing for Indefinite Detention ? (311 comments)

•  we shoot down your racism HR and (6+ / 0-)

you switch to threadjacking in order to justify your own bad HR? it was your bad HR that was threadjacking.

own the bad HR and get over it.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 09:52:02 AM PST

•  Okay, went to lunch - back now. (1+ / 0-)
      rock the ground

Nothing dubious about the racism claim.  To claim that white people can't understand this because of their race is flat-out racism.  Turn that statement around and look at it the other way:  What would be the reaction if somebody had said black people can't understand a concept purely because they're black.  Would you think that's okay, or would you think it racist?  Hint:  It would be racist.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Ben Franklin

by IndieGuy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 10:11:04 AM PST

•  no it fucking wouldn't! (4+ / 0-)

mention of skin color does not make a statement racist. especially when that mention is used to point out a certain type of white privilege.

your comment is simply reactionary and incorrect.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 10:17:00 AM PST

•  Claiming that somebody can't understand (3+ / 0-)

something purely on the basis of skin color DOES make it racist.  You can deny that all you want, but it's a simple fact.

I repeat:  If somebody were to claim that all African Americans are unable to understand something BECAUSE they're African American, what would be your reaction?

by IndieGuy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 10:22:24 AM PST

•  this is a racist society. (4+ / 0-)
            Roadbed Guy, OHdog, kyeo, lunachickie

there is no getting around that. racism is a social construct designed to steer benefits to the ruling powers. in this country that means, first and foremost, white males with lots of money. so as a comment on white privilege he was absolutely correct. he did not say all white males are bigots, which is what you seem to think he said.

if you don't get that then all you do is display your own incomplete understanding of what racism is. he may have utilized a stereotype, but even that isn't always wrong, especially in this case where he is talking about the power class in a racist society where EVERYONE is inculcated and enculturated from birth in the that racism either as someone that benefits from it or as someone victimized by it.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 10:41:22 AM PST

•  Pay attention. (2+ / 0-)
              geomoo, strangedemocracy

I've never said this isn't a racist society.  Ever.  And frankly, I agree with that whole "white privilege" thing.  You know nothing about me, and have no way of judging the veracity - or background - of the statement, but read my comment history if you want.  You'll not find anything saying otherwise, and if you dig deeply enough you'll learn just how much I do get it.  Asked and answered, as they say.

What you will find, if you dig deeply enough, is my speaking out about this kind of crap in whatever form it takes.  There is a small subset of people on DKos who seem to feel it's perfectly fine to lump all "white people" into one large, amorphous "privileged" category consisting of nothing but racists.  The OP - at least in this thread - seems to be one of those.  That attitude is unacceptable from anybody, for the simple reason that it's utterly and demonstrably false.

And here you are, defending the use of stereotypes by one group while saying it's wrong for the other.  How is that acceptable?

by IndieGuy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 10:50:10 AM PST

•  I think you misinterpreted his statement. (4+ / 0-)

Apparently no one else saw racism in his statement.  He made a valid point.  When we see people who look like (the) Dick Cheney in Gitmo, then his point probably wouldn't make sense.  Anyway, I uprated as well because I don't think your point was valid.

•  Well, I saw racism in the statement. (3+ / 0-)
          zedaker, IndieGuy, Blizzard

And I agree with him that, given the environment around dkos lately, it's worth pointing it out.

I'll add, what is possibly gained by bringing in the issue of race?  Sure, if you think it's racism that explains the new American empire, operating without the constraint of law, then the remark is pertinent.  And in that case, the objection is pertinent as well, because I don't think racism explains who is in Guantanamo and who is not--profit is the explanation for that.

In addition to being racist, in the opinion of at least two people, the remark clouds the issue, as this comment thread makes plane.  Just as race often clouds the issue wrt the current world-wide attack on the poor.  Racism is rampant, but dragging race into every discussion is no solution.  If anyone white person feels safe from being imprisoned indefinitely without trial in the new America, then they are delusional.

How many hours did Scooter Libby spend in solitary confinement?

by geomoo on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 11:44:09 AM PST

•  You are right as well. (1+ / 0-)
            geomoo

I see your side.  I agree that it was unnecessary to bring race into it, but I didn't make the original comment. I absolutely agree with you about imprisonment in the new America.  It can and most likely will be an equal opportunity incarcerator.  But I don't want to belabor this any longer on this important thread.  Thanks for your comment.

•  Thank you, Blizzard. (1+ / 0-)
              Blizzard

My wife is pulling me away from the computer, and she is correct.  I need to do Christmas prep with her.  I need to get off this debilitating blog treadmill.  How wonderful that I come by to check one last time and find a thoughtful, respectful reply.  Your decency has had a significant impact on making my day feel better.

Merry Christmas to you.  Or whatever merry celebration you care to have.

How many hours did Scooter Libby spend in solitary confinement?

by geomoo on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 12:29:32 PM PST

•  if he had simply taken the guy to task for (1+ / 0-)
            geomoo

stereotyping i wouldn't object. the HR for racism is just incorrect in the case of that comment, though, since the comment was actually decrying racism.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 12:30:12 PM PST

•  No. The comment was using a stereotype to malign (0+ / 0-)

an entire race of people.  Again, for the umpteenth time:  Suppose the OP had said, "No black person could ever understand [whatever] because - and ONLY because - they're black"?  Would you be defending the statement?

by IndieGuy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 01:53:08 PM PST