View Diary: New GOP House rules pave the way for more tax cuts for wealthy, slashing spending (102 comments)

•  I'm not recommending aligning with another... (0+ / 0-)

...political party. Most cities of any size have several progressive organizations working on single issues or a broader agenda. You have to hunt them down and find one that works for you.

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 04:37:09 PM PST

•  I disagree. Join the Green Party if you can (0+ / 0-)

Joining up with issue groups that advocate for certain causes doesn't really do us a whole lot of good.  First off, their inability to unite around a single issue is one of the big problems the Democratic party has with keeping the party and base on message.  Sure it seems like the Party and it's leaders often don't even bother, but the liberal issue groups just don't work together.  I remember seeing people carrying signs for a woman's right to choose and to legalize pot now... at an anti-war rally when I was in college a few years back.

On top of that, the Democratic party, in Washington in particular, has become remarkably adept at flat out ignoring their base.  Our little scatterbrained issue groups don't really intimidate them.  They know they'll get their donations and foot soldiers because who else are they gonna side with?
      The Democratic leadership HATES it's base.  They HATE US.  They aren't afraid of us at all when they need to be like the Republicans are of their base..

So why should we instead focus on building up the Green Party?
      First of all, the REASON we should do it is if the Democratic party and it's elected officials aren't afraid of liberal advocacy groups, then the only way to get them to pay attention to us is to threaten their jobs.  Damn right we're all still gonna vote... just not for the Democrat this time.  The Greens will align alongside and caucus with the Dems  most of the time anyway so the only potential problem along the road would be the issue of congressional majority power... but that can obviously be tinkered with, as the Filibuster debate and the incoming 112th House rules change demonstrate.

We need to put pressure on the Democrats and the old ways just don't work any longer.  They haven't since the Clinton years, quite honestly.

I say that if you're looking for a way to help, join your local Green Party chapter (or hell, START one).  It's not the kind of thing that will change over night, but ultimately we need to build a viable progressive, liberal party in the USA.  If the  Dems want to be the party of moderates so badly, LET THEM.  Electing "better Democrats" has pretty spectacularly failed, in my opinion.

My style is impetuous.
      My defense is impregnable.
      YOU'RE NOT ALEXANDER!

by samfish on Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 05:17:22 PM PST

•  There may be a few places where... (0+ / 0-)

...the Green Party is doing something. Most places they are a waste of time, running symbolic campaigns for offices they have not a ghost of a chance of winning now or in the future. In California, for instance, where they have been on the ballot for 19 years, they've seen their membership plummet by more than 25% in the past five years. Despite being arguably one of the four or five most receptive electorates, not a single Green has ever been elected in California to any office higher than mayor - not one for the state legislature in two decades.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 05:45:52 PM PST

•  True here in Ct. as well (0+ / 0-)

WE had two lousy candidates for our congressional district and one dynamic Green Party candidate.  Needless to say, the Green Party candidate didn't even come close. Frustrating.  The level of apathy and unawareness of the electorate is startling-and this is Ct. for christ's sake.  I really do like the anti-corporatist message of the Green Party, but...am I alone??

"This country is not overrun with rebels and free thinkers. It's overrun with sheep and conformists." Bill Maher

by willkath on Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 05:54:43 PM PST

•  Bernie is a Socialist (0+ / 0-)

It'd sure be nice if he had some company in the Senate.

(big fat evil grin)

As a historical aside, to the best of my recollection the Socialist Party still remains as the most successful third party---it won an awful lot of local elections back in the 1910's and sent quite a few members to state legislatures, and even a couple folks to Congress. Heck, Debs got over a million votes for President while he was in jail on sedition charges.

Alas, many of the elected Socialists were forcibly removed from office during the Palmer Raids.

But I can't think offhand of any other third party that has done as well. Maybe the Progressives . . .?

•  Thanks for the advice (0+ / 0-)

filled with strong insight.  In may ways I have to agree with you. I am concerned not only with the path the DNC is on, but more importantly, the lack of a strong voice that represents progressive ideals.  I just finished reading the Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges-and I have to say that it really resonated with me-inspiring but also in a fearful way.  We as a country are shifting dangerously right-good hard working class people being brainwashed by right wing talk-creating anger and hate that is not being countered by any strong viable liberal voice.  I find it here on Daily Kos thankfully-but out in the real world, at work, ball games, etc. these conversations are not talking points-rather Glenn Beck is.  Makes me want to puke.  When I try to counter this with tact, politeness, and logic, I am immediately and ruthlessly turned against.  Even members of the local DTC seem so right wing to me-complacent and filled with more conservative talking points than they are with progressive ideas.  One prominent member writes editorials that supports the privatizing of social security for God's sake.  Well, I'm ranting now.  You got the idea and your acknowledgement gives me hope. Thanks again.

by willkath on Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 05:49:20 PM PST

•  cheer up--our day will come (0+ / 0-)

It is simply impossible to keep a people in voluntary submission forever.  Sooner or later, the explosion happens.

And what an explosion it is going to be . . . . . . It will make the 60's look like the 50's.

•  I believe (0+ / 0-)

you are absolutely correct. It is a matter of time before others begin to see through the cheap veneer of crony capitalism and the exploitative political machines that support it. What's a little disheartening is that despite the grand financial escapades of the last few years, the public anger and frustration have been misdirected quite successfully into the opposite direction. Quite remarkable,really.

by willkath on Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 06:35:30 PM PST

•  Thanks for taking the time. (0+ / 0-)

It means a lot.