Skip to main content

View Diary: Christian War On TX Gays Sustains Collateral Damage: Cops, Fireman (304 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Hmmm . . . (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:

    I suppose that's possible, but if the feds were to do something like what you propose, there would still have to be some sort of eligibility criteria.  Otherwise, any two people could sign the form and qualify for benefits.  So I think that in the end, there would have to be some kind of legal recognition of some kind of relationship.

    Maladie d'Amour, Où l'on meurt d'Aimer, Seul et sans Amour, Sid'abandonné

    by FogCityJohn on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 10:43:12 AM PST

    [ Parent ]

    •  But that's fine. (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      musing85, Calamity Jean

      The government sets individual eligibility requirements all the time for all sorts of programs.

      As long as the eligibility to sign the form is per individual (presumably age), and not some kind of interdependency between the two people (e.g., must be of different sexes! or must reside in the same household) I don't see the constitutional issue.

      I suppose you have the old bugaboo of father-daughter, brother-sister being able to civil unionize; I'm they could come up with some way around that...

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site