View Diary: Greeting Cards for Rape Victims: 'You Got Bad Touched' (157 comments)

•  Yeah, it's offensive and sending messages (1+ / 0-)
    CuriousBoston

to the person offering these wares seems appropriate, just to let them know that some folks don't appreciate the extremes of their content.  But, the content was obviously intended for an insensitive (and worse) segment of the population, so I'd wonder if this person would even care about obtaining negative feedback - i.e., the content is obviously intended to inflame reasonable sensibilities.

I wonder if Etsy has a policy on content being too hostile according to their judgement, allowing them to pull such products under their own terms and conditions of providing a venue for sellers?

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:18:00 PM PST

•  Yup, as I said in the diary (1+ / 0-)
      CuriousBoston

the artist obviously has no sensibilities at all, so the only way to deal with this is pressure Etsy to remove it.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:19:58 PM PST

•  I don't think that's the only way, as (0+ / 0-)

mentioned in my post - was just wondering if their agreements with Sellers allowed for such an action.

If we an directly send feedback to the seller, that would seem more direct.

Honestly, as much as it's good to provide pushback against hateful and insensitive speech when it's made, I think that the perspective to keep in mind is that we can't blame Etsy for this unless they say in their own site terms and conditions that they monitor all content, etc.

Plus, people - and therefore, the Internet - can be full of relatively offensive imagery and words on a daily basis.  I would tend to send a message about this stuff to the seller, downrate them if possible, etc. and then move on - because it's just one example of so much else that's still backwards and even purposefully offensive out there.

People like that don't mind goading reaction, is my guess.  Sure, trying to see if Etsy or negative feedback can push them off the selling venue is a good effort to try, but let's not imagine that will solve the underlying issue of why those wares are for sale in the first place.

by wader on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:26:27 PM PST

•  This is why we keep getting our asses (1+ / 0-)
          CuriousBoston

handed to us. We can't take a simple action like pressuring a commercial vendor to remove a card that brutalizes rape victims without having to have the obligatory circular firing squad.

Fine, you guys fight it out. I'm off to other venues to try to find other people who give more of a fuck about the rights of the victimized than of having meaningless theoretical discussions.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:34:30 PM PST

•  Okay, I didn't leave. (1+ / 0-)
            CuriousBoston

I officially suck.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:53:11 PM PST

•  Er, I never said don't work on the channels we (0+ / 0-)

can use - specifically, I said we could and probably should.

I was trying to put your somewhat breathless initiative into a perspective that this isn't an unusual circumstance in some ways, so I can see the organizing being helpful against it, but let's think through why and what to do - without acting like Etsy is automatically the problem, in this case.

by wader on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 09:06:43 PM PST

•  Do you believe the seller will change? (2+ / 0-)
          wader, Black Max

He won't. He needs to be kicked off that site. A warning is not enough, he will behave for a time, then return to his horrific wares.

•  No, I don't believe the seller will change (0+ / 0-)

by our actions.  If we help kick him off, that would simply keep him from using Etsy and he'd look for another venue, is my guess.

That was my point, actually: it's not a bad thing to constructively get this person realizing that people are trying to kick him off the Etsy site - noting in our negative reactions why that is our immediate goal.  But, it wouldn't get this person to change their ways in the short term, is my guess . . . that would take far more "feedback" over time, if I know this type of attitude well enough.

by wader on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 09:04:42 PM PST