View Diary: Greeting Cards for Rape Victims: 'You Got Bad Touched' (157 comments)

•  Tolerance is what liberalism is (3+ / 0-)
    Khun David, PBCliberal, fizziks

all about. Some people find gay marriage "intolerable", but what do we tell them? We tell them that it is none of their business, that gays marrying doesn't hurt them, even if they find the concept horrific. Basically, if this doesn't personally hurt you, Black Max, why go out of your way to put a stop to it? Not really consistent with our principles IMO.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:20:50 PM PST

•  You're fucking kidding me. n/t (2+ / 0-)
      soothsayer99, CuriousBoston

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:21:47 PM PST

•  You are not the final arbiter (2+ / 0-)
        Khun David, fizziks

for what is funny in this world. If people want to buy his stuff, who exactly is being harmed? You are acting like the Church Lady, deciding for others what they should be able to buy or sell. Moral crusades are as awful coming from the left (though they're rare) as from the religious right. Do you also try to shut down movies you find "intolerable" and books that offend you?

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:26:29 PM PST

•  I think there's a difference (2+ / 0-)
          Black Max, CuriousBoston

between  a movie that people might choose to patronize and a greeting card that is designed to be sent to a victim of sexual abuse.
          One of these things is not like the other, because one of these things is specifically designed to further traumatize an already traumatized person.
          This is not my idea of a victimless situation.

•  You are supposing that these (4+ / 0-)
            Khun David, PBCliberal, fizziks, gailwax

cards are supposed to be sent to victims of sexual abuse. Yet that is not how they are advertised (they are supposed to be sent to people undergoing colonoscopies, TSA searches, etc.). While it is entirely possible that some rape victim could receive one, that to me is not a good enough reason to censor the product. Aren't you tired of people telling you what you can watch, read, and smoke? For me, a product or artistic work must be very dangerous to justify censoring it. Think about it - what if this was something you liked but others found offensive...

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:43:22 PM PST

•  Aw hellfire, don't go here. (3+ / 0-)

Look at the tags. Look at the other "products" this asshole is selling. You're defending the right of an asshole who is hiding behind the concept of "freedom of artistic expression" to insult everyone whom he personally hates.

Yes, fuck yes, he has the right to do it. We have the right to ask Etsy to remove it. End of problem.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:52:32 PM PST

•  Yeah, the search tags were the giveaway- (1+ / 0-)
                Black Max

not seeing any tags for TSA or colonoscopy.  Do see, however, both "rape" and  "raped".  So it would seem that that's his intended audience- people searching for rape "products".

Not to mention the image on the card itself-- naked woman curled into a fetal position and weeping in the shower-- that does not say TSA patdown to me.

•  You and Phyllis Schaffley (1+ / 1-)
        doc2
        Hidden by:
        Black Max

must be good friends.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 09:25:03 PM PST

•  I'll let my troll rating (0+ / 0-)

speak for what I should say. And if you're going to smear me with this kind of insult, learn to spell the person's name.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

• Education (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Racism (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site