View Diary: Greeting Cards for Rape Victims: 'You Got Bad Touched' (157 comments)

•  It's up to Etsy to understand the difference (3+ / 0-)
    karmsy, soothsayer99, CuriousBoston

between removing something because flaming liberals or raging teabaggers don't find it suitable for their beliefs (sorry about equating the two), and allowing a vendor to promote something that does nothing but brutalize victims of major felonies.

Some people in this thread are so fucking quick to run to Etsy's defense that they obviously don't care about the victims. And this isn't legitimate artwork, it's a fucking greeting card that's being sold. It's a commercial property.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:37:50 PM PST

•  You keep using that word. (9+ / 0-)

I don't think it means what you think it means.

I am one of those victims you're talking about. You want to know what "brutalizes" rape and sexual assault victims? Rapists and assailants.

This is a fucking piece of paper. No matter how horrific its content, you do me no favors by trivializing the real brutalization of rape victims.

Seriously.

It's fucking grating.

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog.

by hyperbolic pants explosion on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:45:45 PM PST

•  So is my wife. (2+ / 0-)
        soothsayer99, CuriousBoston

I don't dare tell her about this because it will trigger her.

Different people have different thresholds.

You have my sympathy and sorrow for what you were forced to endure. You have obviously come to terms with it better than others. I salute you for your strength. I also ask that you understand others may not handle it in the same way as you.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 06:50:12 PM PST

•  The person who brutalized her... (2+ / 0-)
          sturunner, belinda ridgewood

... is the person who brutalized her.

That something might trigger her memories and feelings about the event does not mean that that thing is brutalizing her. If you told her about it, and your words to her triggered her, would it be accurate to say that you brutalized her? If I'm triggered by the smell of sunflowers, does that mean the sunflowers are brutalizing me? No. My triggered reaction to the sunflowers would just be one more tendril of the vine my attacker planted the day he did what he did.

Frankly, I think you're letting the person who originally did this to her off easy when you lay something like that at the feet of an offensive piece of paper rather than at the feet of the waste of blood and hair that hurt her in the first place.

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog.

by hyperbolic pants explosion on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 07:04:47 PM PST

•  You are speaking for yourself. Other people have (1+ / 0-)
            Black Max

differing opinions. I want that shop down. Is this the behaviour toward women, toward relationships, that you are okay with?

•  I had to delete two responses (3+ / 0-)

to HPE's post because I became infuriated in writing them.

My wife was not raped not just once, and not by strangers; I don't know what response this diary would have elicited, but it wouldn't have made her happy, and I spend a lot of time and effort either trying to make her happy or shield her from further brutalization. I've seen her get triggered by an episode of Law and Order. We can debate whether it's the show's fault or what, but when something triggers her, I don't spend my time debating, I remove the trigger and try to comfort and calm her. How many rape victims have been triggered by this card? Who is caring for them?

In this diary, the number of people showing any care and concern for the rape victims subjected to these cards is far less than the number of diarists scampering to defend the artist, or at least the principle by which the artist continues to sell his wares. Better yet, the mistaken interpretation of said principle.

I don't want Etsy shut down, I want the cards removed from its sales pages. But if Etsy refuses to stop selling this shit, then I would boycott them no matter what other "cool" and "acceptable" stuff they sell. I have a line. For me, and for at least some others, this crosses it.

"That kind of ignorant must hurt." -- Mrs. Max on teabaggers

by Black Max on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 08:36:06 PM PST

•  Is that what you really read in my words? (0+ / 0-)

Really?

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog.

by hyperbolic pants explosion on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 08:47:23 PM PST

•  Yes, you have one opinion, I have (0+ / 0-)

a differing opinion.

•  You didn't answer my questions. n/t (0+ / 0-)
                •  Your strawman doesn't deserve a response. (2+ / 0-)
                  maxomai, Mortifyd

If you think this:

is an even remotely appropriate response to what I've said, you are either badly in need of a reading comprehension course, or you are deliberately setting up a strawman so that you can feel righteous.

Does it feel good? I bet it feels awesome, doesn't it? Mmmm... sweet righteousness.

Let's get something crystal clear here:
                  I AM one of the victim's Black Max is trying to protect. If you'd read what I wrote for comprehension rather than righteous indignation, you'd know that. I object to the trivialization of the real brutalization of rape by characterizing a god damn piece of paper, no matter how (WOOT! WOOT! SIREN ALERT! IMPORTANT WORD APPROACHING!) horrific (WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!), as "brutalizing" someone. You'd know what, too, if you were reading for comprehension instead of righteous indignation.

But, I know, righteous indignation is tasty.

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog.

by hyperbolic pants explosion on Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 09:10:19 PM PST

•  Not righteous indignation. I'm one of the (0+ / 0-)

survivors. I asked you a question, I wanted to learn what you think. I don't agree with you, am trying to understand why you feel that way.

Horrific is my response to the sellers wares. It's a word. My opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion. Did I treat your opinion that way?

I'm trying to read to understand you. Not set up a strawman or be righteous. I have stated we have differing views.

How does your response further the discussion? Stating I have righteous indignation, objecting to my use of a word, questioning my reading comprehension, overreacting, does not prove your point, increase my knowledge of your reasoning, or encourage me to discuss further.

• Recommended (144)
  • Labor (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Texas (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Environment (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site