View Diary: Obama to issue signing statement on Guantanamo restrictions (219 comments)

•  I wouldn't "want" it but I'd support it. (0+ / 0-)

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 09:52:38 AM PST

•  Then why not for the "dangerous 48"? (0+ / 0-)
      •  The child molester is an American I presume, (0+ / 0-)

a citizen who committed crimes on US territory? That would be the difference. Look, if a guy joined up with al Qaeda, the organization that attacked us on 911, he should have known that by signing up and going to their training camp that he was making himself an enemy of the United States. To me, if we know that they are part of al Qaeda, we should not have to wait for them to execute on their intentions. I say this as 25-year member of the ACLU and 15-year member of PFAW and contributor to the SPLC. Our system of rights just don't extend to enemy foot-soldiers.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 10:01:15 AM PST

•  But they have not been proven to be (2+ / 0-)
          eglantine, happymisanthropy

members of Al Qaeda.  You are ASSUMING.

Standing for justice and accountability,
                          For Dan,
                          Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it to whom.

by Chacounne on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 10:04:59 AM PST

•  I don't know. Perhaps there is (0+ / 0-)

incontrovertible evidence that a guy did indeed join al Qaeda. That would not be a domestic crime, but would justify holding him IMO.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 11:30:48 AM PST

•  The only way to prove that there is (0+ / 0-)

incontrovertible evidence is with a TRIAL, a fair trial.

Standing for justice and accountability,
                              For Dan,
                              Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it to whom.

by Chacounne on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 12:34:26 PM PST

•  If they really joined Al Qaeda (2+ / 0-)
          Chacounne, happymisanthropy

they can be prosecuted under any number of criminal laws and locked up for an extremely long time.  The question is whether they really did join Al Qaeda.  We can't just rely on the assertion of some government official.  That thinking has led to the destruction of many innocent people's lives.

•  what criminal laws? Simply joining (0+ / 0-)

al qaeda, when you are a foreign national, is a violation of the US Code?

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 11:31:30 AM PST

•  Joining Al Qaeda (2+ / 0-)
              Chacounne, happymisanthropy

counts as "providing material support in furtherance of a terrorist act."  Material support includes personnel, which includes oneself.  And joining a known terrorist organization counts as furthering a terrorist act.  The "material support" law has been used to successfully prosecute a large number of people for joining Al Qaeda and similar organizations.  Other laws also cover a wide area of "inchoate" terrorist activity.  Where terrorism is concerned, our criminal laws cast a very broad net.  All this is covered in the indispensable report by Human Rights First, In Pursuit of Justice.

•  Yup ... (0+ / 0-)

it was used, among people, against Omar Khadr ... even though he was a child.

Standing for justice and accountability,
                             For Dan,
                             Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it to whom.

by Chacounne on Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 12:39:24 PM PST