View Diary: Jon Stewart to Sen Gillibrand: "Does anyone sit with you in the Senate cafeteria?" (292 comments)

•  Just You Wait (46+ / 0-)

After she's been re-elected five or six times, she will go back to her CONSERVATIVE roots.  This whole "reforming our country in a progressive direction" thing?  It's just an act she's going to put on for twenty or thirty years.

•  Pointless, lame joke (1+ / 0-)
      KiB

What was the POINT of your comment?  To use up bandwidth?

Sure, it was a 'joke', but you're pushing against NOBODY.

•  But she didn't have conservative roots, (3+ / 0-)
      devtob, mightymouse, KiB

that is the point. She joined the Blue Dogs because, to paraphrase what she told ME "I am a fiscal conservative and I hope to moderate them on social issues."

Check out her record when she was in Congress before you declare she was and always will be a conservative.

"LuLu does not write diaries. There I finally admitted it."

by LuLu on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 09:16:48 AM PST

•  "..." (3+ / 0-)
        devtob, Larry Bailey, liberalis

OK, I will.  Thanks.

•  hate to rain on the parade (0+ / 0-)

but Kirsten Gillibrand's father is a Republican lobbyist. She worked for Senator Damato earlier in her career. She switched to being a democrat.

She has strong ties to Wall Street where she worked.

We are supposed to be the reality based community. She has conservative republican roots. You can't deny that.

"I'll hold my nose and vote but I won't hold my nose and canvass or call or donate." Some Dkos Comment

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 09:59:54 AM PST

•  Gillibrand's father is not a Republican (2+ / 0-)
          devtob, Jane Lew

Never was.  Like most politically active people, he does have Republican friends.

•  sure thing (0+ / 0-)

but how many democrats do you know who made this donation in 2004?

RUTNIK, DOUGLAS P MR. JR.
            SLINGERLANDS, NY
            12159 RIVERSIDE TRAVEL PLAZA INC./OWNER $1,000 03/11/2004 P BUSH-CHENEY '04 (PRIMARY) INC - Republican

I guess four years wasn't enough for Mr. Rutnik.

Like I said, you want to kid yourself about who your new hero is, go ahead.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 12:32:38 PM PST

•  Have some reality (6+ / 0-)

Gillibrand is a lifelong Democrat who "worked" for D'Amato as a college intern.

She does not have "conservative Republican roots."

Despite her "strong ties to Wall Street," she voted aginst TARP and for financial regulation.

A public option for health insurance is a national priority.

by devtob on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 10:21:58 AM PST

•  dev tob (1+ / 0-)
            Crazy Leftist

I know how dedicated you are to Kirsten. I know you know local politics.

Must've warmed your heart when Kirsten said such nice things while endorsing Mayor Jennings last election cycle. Bet she did that for his progressive activism, right?

Perhaps you have a financial stake in this and are willing to look the other way.

But so soon after seeing Obama raise everyone's hopes and then crush them, it is interesting to watch people so quickly attach themselves to the next attractive young senator that they believe is going to fight for the people.

I guess her vote against TARP is why Goldman, JP, Citi, Blackrock and the rest made the top 20 list for donating to her reelection cycle. Just wanted to reward her for that?

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 12:20:25 PM PST

•  So shocking! (3+ / 0-)
              devtob, Predictor, Jane Lew

Goldman, JP, Citi, Blackrock and the rest made the top 20 list

Which of the other 100 Senators has more Wall Street employees living in his or her state?

Are you suprised when Texas Senators have the highest contributors from oil companies?

When Michigan Senators have the highest contributions from car makers?

When Iowa Senators having the highest contribution from agriculture?

"You can't hardly separate homosexuals from subversives."--Senator Kenneth Wherry, 1950.

by Scott Wooledge on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 12:35:59 PM PST

•  Clark (0+ / 0-)

Not shocking at all.

that is the point.

You are trying to make her out to be some rebel in the senate. She isn't.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 04:15:38 PM PST

•  Not I am not. (3+ / 0-)
                  devtob, PinHole, MRA NY

Your interpretation is flawed. I am not "making her out to be a rebel." I am making her out to be a competent politician who has worked hard and shrewdly to pass Demicratic bills I support.

When she morphs into this person who is suddenly doing the bidding of Republicans, Wall Street and Al D'Mato, please drop me a note.

Otherwise it seems it's you who is "making her out" to be something she has clearly not been these last two years.

by Scott Wooledge on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 05:24:18 PM PST

•  Re: the Jennings endorsement (1+ / 0-)
              Clarknt67

I didn't like it, but I understand the realpolitik reason for it.

Gillibrand is not perfect, but she is pretty good. Her record in less than two years in the Senate is solidly progressive, and her work ethic is extraordinary.

Most Democrats in NY have come to recognize, and reward, that.

A public option for health insurance is a national priority.

by devtob on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 01:37:55 PM PST

•  right (1+ / 0-)
                Crazy Leftist

so she has a family history and a career history of doing whatever it takes to get ahead.

Most democrats haven't rewarded her for anything. She was appointed and then the president and Schumer and everyone else told any real candidates to back off and then wall street filled her coffers.

Democrats in NY have not had a choice.

She may do a fine job. But lets not start off by creating some alternate history of who she is.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 04:19:01 PM PST

•  Those pols contacted by Obama, Schumer, etc., (2+ / 0-)
                  Clarknt67, bobbiewick

could have run anyway -- Sestak and Romanoff did.

Carolyn Maloney did run a semi-campaign for a few weeks, then gave it up because there was scant support.

Likewise, Harold Ford.

NY Democrats had two chances to vote for Gillibrand in 2010, and they did so overwhelmingly.

You may not like her, but most NY Democrats obviously do.

As do the vast majority of DKos commenters from across the country.

A public option for health insurance is a national priority.

by devtob on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 05:40:29 PM PST

•  devtob (0+ / 0-)

You fascinate me. I've been reading your comments for at least the last five years. Back from the Sweeney days.

Doesn't it suck that you have to argue these sort of points? Imagine if you wanted to run a candidate because you didn't think it was a good idea to have Senators be appointed by governors who were never elected. And that perhaps the people of NY should be able to vote for someone else on the issues. And then the president of the united states called up and told you to back off.

You have campaign experience, right? How do you think it works when you pick up the phone to call donors and everyone knows the POTUS has told you to back off?

yeah, not so good. Obama and Schumer killed any realistic chance at a primary challenge.

You are buying into a corrupt and broken system. I'm sure you know that. I hope you can make some change within it. But to argue that the voters of NY "chose" Gillibrand is beneath you. Or perhaps you just had me fooled back in the day.

by onemadson on Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 05:43:31 AM PST

•  You kind of fascinate me (1+ / 0-)
                      devtob

You seem, I'm sorry to say, to epitomize the idea of a purist. You object to Gillibrand accepting any amount of donation from Wall Street employees, one of the biggest ($) employers in her state.

You want a candidate who has no friends or relatives who are Republicans. A candidate who would never intern in college at her own state's US Senator's office if he was a Republican, would never work for an industry YOU disapprove of (can anyone build a career while not working in any industry SOMEONE will disapprove of?).

What are participation rates of voting? 30%? Most citizens don't select their representatives at all is the sad reality.

I commend you for your idealism.

by Scott Wooledge on Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 06:38:37 AM PST

•  I don't object to any of it (0+ / 0-)

I was just pointing out we shouldn't represent Gillibrand for something she is not. This is supposed to be a reality based community.

I think she will be a fine addition to the US Senate much like Senator Schumer. They will continue on in the great work they do there and will do so with donations from large corporations. And they will represent these corporations well

What I want is for people to realize reality. And if in one of the bluest states there is the best we can do is have a Senator with Gillibrand's background, we are doomed. I would prefer that we had someone who spent their career prior to being elected fighting for the people, not fighting for big tobacco. I realize you don't feel this way. You should enjoy the way the country progresses in the next few decades.

by onemadson on Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 01:33:37 PM PST

•  "We are doomed" (1+ / 0-)
                          Clarknt67

because Kirsten Gillibrand is the junior senator from NY!?

That's about the most absurd thing a pup-tent-Democratic opponent of Gillibrand has ever written here.

And the competition, last year anyway, was quite intense.

A public option for health insurance is a national priority.

by devtob on Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 06:51:42 PM PST

•  devtob (0+ / 0-)

Not what I said and you know it.

"pup tent democratic opponent"

Nice. When unable to defend your position just insult the other person.

I'm not an opponent of Gillibrand. I'm just stating the facts.

The funny part is that you Gillibrand supporters are all bent out of shape about the facts even though your person is now Senator for life. Enjoy your success. You like the current system, it is working for you. Live it up. Why worry about pup tent democrats commenting on blogs?

The competition was intense?  Yeah, collecting that $13 million she raised probably was quite tiring. I wouldn't call the vote totals indicative of "intense" competition but again i'm coming from a reality based perspective.

I do imagine it was intense when the obama and schumer people were telling everyone else to back off. Those phone calls can be quite intense. But that all happened rather early on.

Admit it devtob. You know it takes serious compromise to make it to the big leagues. You never thought you'd be backing some former big tobacco lawyer with close ties to the NY republicans you used to despise. But that is what it takes in the big leagues.

Meanwhile I get to remain pure at heart in my pup tent and earn your scorn.

To each their own.

Now, I recommend scouring the ranks of lawyers working for big tobacco for your next liberal champion. Stick with your winning formula.

by onemadson on Fri Jan 07, 2011 at 09:55:24 AM PST

•  also (1+ / 0-)
            Crazy Leftist

did you live in NY when Damato was in office. Perhaps your Democratic family would've had to debate about whether you should work for him but mine wouldn't.

Of course we wouldn't have taken money defending tobacco companies either.

I believe Rahm would call us fucking retards. He is probably right. Ms. Gillibrand has a long and high lucrative career ahead of her.

And, FWIW, I was at her announcement when she was running for congress and donated money to her for run for office. I also deal in reality. Better than Sweeney yes? Some one who won't do what Wall Street wants? No.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 12:28:50 PM PST

•  If you're talking to me .... (2+ / 0-)
              devtob, Clarknt67

yes, I lived in NY while Al D'Amato was senator, and I'd have had no problem with any of my countless offspring doing clerical work in his office, with the object of learning about the process.   It would be even less of a problem if D'Amato had been a personal friend of mine for many years.  Gillibrand's votes have been consistently anti-tobacco, and she voted against extending the tax cuts -- so much for doing Wall Street's bidding.

•  And I had Republican parents (8+ / 0-)

and the founder of this site is a former Republican. People can change and grow as they mature. That's also part of reality.

Now to try to end the wars we ask our gay and straight soldiers to fight. -- Chris Hayes

by Cali Scribe on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 10:57:39 AM PST

•  yes they can` (0+ / 0-)

but people also can rewrite history to make it fit their worldview.

If this sounds like the background of a long time progressive hero to you, let me know?

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 12:22:33 PM PST

•  also, here is Talking Points Memo on her dad (0+ / 0-)

link

Let's back up:

By most accounts, Rutnik, a well-connected Albany Republican lobbyist and power-broker, has been the prime architect and fund-raiser for Gillibrand's political career.

Rutnik is tight with just about every powerful Republican in the state, including former governor George Pataki, and former senator Al D'Amato -- in whose office Gillibrand got her start as an intern, before running for Congress as a Democrat.

Rutnik is also close with Bruno. In fact, as the Albany Times-Union (via Nexis) has reported, in the 1990s, Rutnik and another lobbyist, James Featherstonhaugh, bought hundreds of acres of isolated swampland in New York's Rensselaer County, which they planned to develop. Bruno and his brother ultimately invested in the venture, known as the First Grafton Corporation.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 01:05:52 PM PST

•  That memo is incorrect (2+ / 0-)
                devtob, Clarknt67

and has been contradicted elsewhere, including:

and

•  the man is tied (0+ / 0-)

into the republican party. They are his clients and friends. Several of them also are criminals.

Again, you can quibble about party registration but this man has a track record of working for republicans and their interests. A long one.

That has not been contradicted.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 04:22:08 PM PST

•  Party registration is hardly a quibble (4+ / 0-)
                    devtob, Clarknt67, Jane Lew, MRA NY

You said he is a Republican, and that's simply not the case.  Judging people by who their friends are resembles old-fashioned, McCarthyite "guilt by association."  Some of my best friends are Republicans -- that doesn't make me one.

•  Not his friends, his causes (0+ / 0-)

As anyone inside Albany politics knows, Doug Rutnik is a hired gun who has often lobbied for causes near and dear to the heart of Republicans and Conservatives. It's just as wrong to label him a Democratic lobbyist, because that's his party affiliation. But, I'm not sure why any of that matters. I'm not drinking the kool-aid over Gillibrand, who I still think is more opportunist than progressive, but she's not her father.

•  Lawyers and lobbyists are both paid advocates (1+ / 0-)
                        devtob

And perhaps experienced advocates are better at getting the job done than mere ideologues.  I'm sure you've heard the argument at least a thousand times that because a lawyer defends criminals doesn't make him/her pro-crime.  But the incorrect information about Doug Rutnik's party affiliation seems to have leached into the annals -- to the extent that people who claim to be knowledgeable have it wrong -- and that's never a good thing.

•  I stand corrected (0+ / 0-)

he is not a republican. The people he takes money from to advance republican causes are. Perhaps most of the democrats you know do this as well. Not the ones I know. It is easy to claim you are one thing. Actions speak a bit louder. It isn't guilt by association. Its "guilt by who you are willing to take money from".

And he is a lobbyist. And he is her father and worked to get her elected.

So, I think it is fair to say that we can judge her by the fact that her family and one of her chief fundraisers has no problem working for some of the worst republican's in NY.

That is a fact. If that is not a problem for you when it comes to choosing your senators in one of the bluest states, I understand.

I live in Albany and understand the local political scene rather well. Very few if any of the elected officials have any moral character. And many are downright corrupt and have no problem working with criminal politicians if it benefits them. Gillibrand's grandmother was a fine example of this and her father also has a record of it. You seem to have no problem with this. I hope you get some sort of political appointment with that sort of attitude. If you don't have any real values to worry about, politics can be quite lucrative.

Anyway, best of luck with the new great hope for the democratic party.

Sorry to be all McCarthy with the facts.

Read "Oh Albany" if you want to get a flavor for the type of things Gillibrand's grandmother supported.

I'm sure Senator Gillibrand will follow in the fine footsteps of Senator Schumer. She will never get challenged by anyone other than a self made multi millionaire because Wall Street will fund all of her campaigns. And as a NY democrat I will be told by people on dKos that if I have a problem with that I'm like Joe McCarthy or Ralph Nader or some other fun thing while Wall Street continues to destroy this country. Hope you are getting your piece of that pie. Only so much to go around.

by onemadson on Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 05:36:58 AM PST

•  If you engage in guilt by association arguments (2+ / 0-)
                        devtob, Clarknt67

then the McCarthyite epithet fits.  I am a lifelong Democrat -- very very far to the left, with no connections at all to Wall Street -- but as a adult person with pretensions to common sense, I don't exclude people who don't share my views from my business or personal circles.  My family are from Albany, and I lived in the Albany metro area  for a while.  I don't care what Gillibrand's grandmother -- or her father -- got up to; that's like condemning Caroline Kennedy because her grandfather was a crook and a bigot, and her father was a philanderer.  I certainly wouldn't want to be judged by stuff my mother and father did.  Again, Doug Rutnik may associate with Republicans, but he is not a Republican, and to make that claim as part of your argument is wrong.

•  Her Grandmother (1+ / 0-)
          devtob

Polly Noonan was a long-time Democratic activist in Albany.

•  now that is some funny stuff (0+ / 0-)

I live in Albany. Do you? You want to tell me about Noonan's activism? Do some research. Next you'll be telling me Mayor Corning was a progressive hero. And Dan O'Connell was a civil right's activist.

Keep living in this fantasy where a Senator from NY isn't a pawn of Wall Street.

by onemadson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 12:15:52 PM PST

•  BWAH (0+ / 0-)

Polly Noonan was the then long-time mayor's long-time mistress, who's "activism" amounted to lording it over the group to which women in the party were relegated at the time.

•  Nobody actually "knows" for certain (1+ / 0-)
              devtob

what Polly Noonan's relationsip to Mayor Corning actually was.  It's shocking that some posters have such a cavalier disregard for facts, that they present rumor and innuendo as "information."

•  what is a "fiscal conservative" anyway? (1+ / 0-)
        devtob

like so many phrases in politics, it needs defining.

Te conozco bacalao, aunque vengas disfrazado - Hector LaVoe

by mightymouse on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 10:37:02 AM PST

•  Well ... (4+ / 0-)

I got it, if that's any consolation.

•  Good funny TooFolk. (4+ / 0-)

Learn more about second-class U.S. citizenship at http://www.equalitymatters.org

by Larry Bailey on Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 10:09:47 AM PST

• Recommended (149)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site