View Diary: RKBA: A Terrible Act of Domestic Terrorism (368 comments)

•  I don't assume it. (2+ / 0-)
    Sandy on Signal, Miss Blue

I accept it as a possibility.  But what's a possibility of saving six lives in one circumstance, or six lives total nationwide over time, compared to the true freedom and liberty that comes with a high capacity magazine?  Nothing.  Some things are more important than the possibility of lives being saved.

Nobody ever bombed a pro-life office.

by Inland on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:24:04 AM PST

•  yes, that's exactly right... (9+ / 0-)

.... somethings ARE more important than vague possibilities.  We don't infringe on rights because of vague promises that such infringements will keep people safe.  We could muzzle the KKK and other hate groups by gutting the 1st amendment.  Most people would not regard that as acceptable public policy though.  We could keep more violent criminals behind bars if we gutted the 4th and 5th amendments.  Would you regard that as a fair trade?

It's a moot point anyway my friend.  My state has had a magazine restriction in place for over a decade now.  Our last mass shooter (in my own hometown no less....) just ignored it.  They found his dead body in possession of multiple "high capacity" magazines.

Meanwhile I've gone through an intensive background check, interview with our County Court Judge, firearms and legalities training and had my friends interviewed by the police and I'm not allowed to own such a magazine?  Really?  This is sound public policy?

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box. Use in that order.

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:28:48 AM PST

•  Not "some things". High capacity magazines. (0+ / 0-)

In the same way you demand specificity in showing that THIS SPECIFIC number of deaths would not have happened, we have to be clear about WHICH SPECIFIC god given, inalienable right we are talking about.

The high capacity magazine, which as we all know, is not only our right as humans but is the safeguard of all our freedoms.

Nobody ever bombed a pro-life office.

by Inland on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:33:38 AM PST

•  now you are putting words in my mouth.... (6+ / 0-)

... I dispute that such a ban would be effective at saving lives and you flip it around and try to portray me as some sort of god fearing gun clinging nut job.  Clearly you aren't interested in an actual dialog on this issue.

Have a nice life my friend :)

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:37:14 AM PST

•  How effective does it have to be? (0+ / 0-)

How many lives have to be saved?  One?  Six?  Ten?

Answer: No answer is required.  High capacity magazines are a right.

Everyone look away.

Nobody ever bombed a pro-life office.

by Inland on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:42:49 AM PST

•  that's right, they are.... (3+ / 0-)
              gerrilea, fizziks, theatre goon

.... I have the right to possess any item I want that does not harm my neighbor.  My possession of a non-neutered magazine harms no one.

Why don't you start acting like the Progressive that you think you are and ask yourself why our mental health care system utterly failed this individual?  I think you'll find that fixing that broken system will save far more lives then a ban on non-neutered firearms magazines.

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:53:52 AM PST

•  And your neighbors... not in Tucson. (0+ / 0-)

They aren't harmed at all, yet, and when they are, they'll be a bunch of people demanding certainty that the high capacity magazine caused it.

Because we need that sort of certainty before abridging the human right to high capacity magazines.

Nobody ever bombed a pro-life office.

by Inland on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:59:31 AM PST

•  the mentally unbalanced individual caused it (5+ / 0-)

Why you have to affix your blame to an inanimate object when there is a living breathing human being that used said object to commit evil is beyond me.

This guy should have received mental health care treatment ages ago.  If he had six people would still be alive and he'd be a free man instead of destined for death row.  Why don't you direct your bile towards the failure of our social safety net to save him instead of directing it at the millions of non-neutered magazines that have never been used to harm anything but game animals and paper targets?

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 08:02:53 AM PST

•  Not about inanimate objects, it's about rights (1+ / 0-)
                    Miss Blue

and the blessed freedom that are secured by people exercising those rights to possess and use those objects.

Trying to downgrade magazines into "objects" as if they were merely things like cars or explosives or poisons or money or homes or children or nuclear arms that the govenrment has a right to control is degrading and probably the first step to fascism.

They aren't just things.  They are the sine qua non of freedom, different from anything else.

Nobody ever bombed a pro-life office.

by Inland on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 08:13:36 AM PST

•  go away troll (0+ / 0-)

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 08:17:30 AM PST

•  You have no basis for labelling (1+ / 0-)
                        Miss Blue

Inland as a troll. He is disagreeing with you in a respectful way. He has no history of trolling or being a troll.

Stop the abusive namecalling.

•  I'll call him whatever the hell I want (1+ / 0-)
                          gerrilea

... and he is being a troll.  He is attacking the motivations of the people who put up this diary.  He has put words in my mouth and attempted to stereotype me.

I don't care what is "history" consists of, in this particular conversation he's being a troll.

If you think my "name calling" is "abusive" then I suggest you HR me, though I rather suspect that such an HR won't stand and even if it does could care less.

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 08:34:28 AM PST

•  there is a guy who can get 12 shots off (5+ / 0-)

out of a revolver with a reload in 3 seconds....

magazine size makes no difference n the real world....

because the shooter used crappy hi caps, the mag that he managed to get into the gun failed so he was unable to keep shooting....that's from Dupnik....the nut was reloaded, his magazine failed....it failed because magazines like that are range toys for plinking, not actual use.....

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
      I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
      Emiliano Zapata