View Diary: RKBA: A Terrible Act of Domestic Terrorism (368 comments)

•  Crookshanks, I'm curious: if the CC had an order (3+ / 0-)
    ER Doc, theatre goon, MichaelNY

barring him from campus, doesn't that fall under the same rubric as a protective order banning somebody from contact (with a witness, ex, spouse, child, etc.)?

If there's a restraining order against you in Texas (and it's in the database) you can't get a CCW permit -- or at least, you couldn't the way the law was written before the current Lege got hold of it.

Peace only imagines what that insane clown posse in Austin will do this go-round. I can almost see them issuing hunting permits and bounties on ... never mind. If I say it out loud one of 'em will think it's a good idea.

LBJ & Lady Bird, Sully Sullenberger, Molly Ivins, Barbara Jordan, Ann Richards, Drew Brees: Texas is No Bush League! -7.50,-5.59

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 02:39:09 PM PST

•  I don't know how it would work.... (5+ / 0-)

.... but I think it's a moot point as I don't believe the college bothered to obtain any such court order.  They just had their police escort him off campus and tell him not to come back without a letter from a mental health professional.

To me that would have been the chance to get him the help that he needed.  Instead they solved THEIR problem without worrying about OUR problem.  This seems to be a recurring theme with cases like this.  People come out of the woodwork after the fact saying "I'm not surprised this person did this" but they never bother to try and get that person help before they snap.

From where I sit it really seems like this all could have been avoided.  Had this man gotten treatment six people would still be alive and he'd be living a relatively normal life rather than being on the express train to death row.

Seven lives ended and countless others scarred forever because our mental health care system sucks.  I really wish the Democrats would be talking about this rather than ranting about guns and/or Sarah Palin.  I thought you guys were supposed to be the party that looked out for the social safety net?  I'd be behind you on this issue 100% but most of your mainstream leaders and pundits are too busy blaming guns and right wing pundits for this catastrophe.

Words can not express my disappointment in our political process right now :(

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box. Use in that order.

by Crookshanks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 06:58:03 PM PST

•  Crookshanks: from your lips to Rachel Maddow's (2+ / 0-)
        Crookshanks, KVoimakas

ears.

It's not the big bad scary black Glock or the extended magazine that's the problem here.

It's the crazy person who doesn't get the help s/he needs.

Really.

I mean, honestly, we could talk all night about how awful it is that a Glock will pass thru a metal detector, and how you ought not be able to buy a 30-round magazine for any handgun, but ...

Nobody's talking about Jared Lee Loughner, 22.

Nobody's talking about Seung-Hui Cho, 23.

Nobody's talking about the whole host of others  who, for whatever reason possessed them, opened fire on masses of people.

Everybody's talking about how awful the guns are.

Nobody's talking about the lack of mental health screenings, or the paucity of affordable care, or the backlog of reports to make the FBI background check system a real-time, working tool to keep crazy people from getting guns.

It's so much simpler to focus on the guns.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 08:55:52 PM PST

•  there's another list, going back to '66 (3+ / 0-)

I don't know if Charles Whitman is the first such incident, but I think what happened at the UT Tower that year might've been the oldest one this story's writer found.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 09:03:59 PM PST

•  minor nitpick but the Glock will NOT pass through (4+ / 0-)

a metal detector without setting it off.

The slide, firing pin, extractor, magazine spring, magazine itself and ammunition all contain more than enough metal to set off metal detectors.  The only part of the Glock that's polymer is the frame.  The magazine has a polymer coating but it's still metal.  The slide is metal.  The springs and firing pin are metal.

by Crookshanks on Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 06:51:07 AM PST

•  I stand corrected. There *is* some polymer (0+ / 0-)

pistol, though, isn't there, that'll go thru a metal detector unfound? Heard talk about it on the TV machine last night.

As of sometime in the late 1980s, supposedly, banned in the USA, though.

Hmm. Wonder if I'd ought to go down to harbor freight and buy myself a ceramic paring knife, to replace the little one that lives in my backpack with my spoon, immersion heater, cutting board and folding cup for travel. The whole outfit occupies about the space and mass of one of those 'briefcase thermos bottles' and makes life so much easier if one wishes to eat in one's room ... Last time I checked a bag with it was 'o7, and I bet it wouldn't go aboard today...

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 12:51:28 PM PST

•  I don't see how it would be possible.... (1+ / 0-)
              KVoimakas

... you can't make a gun barrel (needs to contain pressures ranging from 17,000 PSI to 40,000 PSI, depending on the cartridge) out of polymer.  You can't make a firing pin out of polymer.  You can't make cartridge cases or bullets out of polymer.

I suppose you could make a plastic air gun that shot plastic projectiles that would be deadly enough at close ranges but that's not exactly a firearm is it?

by Crookshanks on Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 08:20:34 AM PST

•  well, you know, in the days of Conan Doyle (1+ / 0-)
                KVoimakas

they were used in murders and assassinations -- air-guns, that is.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 01:37:57 PM PST