View Diary: Jared Loughner, Mental Health and the Law (248 comments)

•  thanks for this, I'm so tempted to (1+ / 0-)
    bronte17
    want to post that he's the prototype for Tea Bagger corps: confused, not well educated, marginal mental health,...easy prey for dissemblers and liars who would sacrifice such a person to further a political goal, and further it they have. This has accomplished a goal for the rwers, in spite of their (an incidental benefit) of the pr they get by calling for calm.
       Right.
       Stay calm under your beds, don't come out for rallies and GOTV.
       That kind of calm.

I'm tempted, but I won't, I mean I did..

........................

Mark Potok , SPLC, was saying it was just such people with a small mental margin who will indeed act first, he made the point that he felt McVeigh wasn't insane, but dedicated..he mentioned others, in an interview with KPFK's Ian Masters.

This was a calculated "fire' in a theater moment imo.  Canadian law was mentioned earlier today, that's interesting.

But back to the narrower confines of this diary, and thanks again.

Does this rec make my head look fat?

by KenBee on Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 07:00:08 PM PST

•  You mean just the type to go off the deep edge (0+ / 0-)

when people call him an American Taliban and otherwise dispute his legitimacy as a human being?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 07:03:38 PM PST

•  Sure. Agree .001% (2+ / 0-)
        Pluto, dinotrac
        that happens when you are confused and then listen to evil babblers who hope you act on their behalf.

My point, if I had one, is that people have agendas, and his violence lines up with the agendas of rw people now calling for calm, acting 'serious and reasonable', yet lit this fuse with their violent imagery.

Feedback from fellow citizens just part of the effect of their lies, on the unstable and uneducated.
          And if you are saying we caused this by calling him 'American Taliban'...sure I'll agree with you to the extent that I think exactly .001% of his emotional energy is derived from some third level effect of Markos' book title. I get it, I don't agree with it, really...if you are saying we need more love and less harsh discussion, sure .....

I lean in sympathy to the families of striking coal miners who stood up to gun thugs, so....I'm peaceful and loving, but I have my limits as well, as do we all.

And yes, this could have happened with a 'left wing' person as well, but we don't have the huge and out of balance rhetoric like the RWers do, not even close.

I don't see anybody doubting his humanity, just the opposite, we all have somebody or are somebody someone has 'worried about'.

Does this rec make my head look fat?

by KenBee on Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 07:27:18 PM PST

•  I don't know what set the guy off any more than (0+ / 0-)

you do, but I also know that the right has no monopoly on inflammatory and hateful rhetoric.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 07:37:51 PM PST

•  any list of rw vs lw elected officials that say (1+ / 0-)
            cdreid
            even close to violent and/or hateful speech is off the charts different.
              Not even close.
              Confusing grumpy commentors at dkos or the like with Gifford's election opponent for example? seriously?
              No serious comparison, but yes, no monopoly.

Does this rec make my head look fat?

by KenBee on Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 07:44:41 PM PST

•  So how much hateful and violent rhetoric is (0+ / 0-)

actually coming from elected officials?

After all, Keith Halloran lost his election and Timothy Horrigan resigned his seat.

The really hot rhetoric comes from other sources.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 08:00:13 PM PST

•  How much hateful and violent rhetoric is (0+ / 0-)

coming from "left wingers" with a major media platform? You know, like a nationwide television or radio show? Because, yaknow, I really don't see random comments on blogs as comparable.

• Recommended (146)
  • Community (72)
  • 2016 (57)
  • Elections (47)
  • Environment (46)
  • Media (42)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Hillary Clinton (37)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (34)
  • Law (33)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Civil Rights (32)
  • Barack Obama (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Climate Change (30)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Economy (25)
  • Labor (25)
  • Bernie Sanders (21)
  • Congress (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site