View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Roe v. Wade at 38 (376 comments)

•  Interesting poll but I disagree with... (0+ / 0-)
    I think this poll is first to ask the general DK consensus on abortion.  Great idea and breakdown of catagories.
    I agree with health/life and rape/incest exceptions but don't believe our tax $ should be used for any other abortion.  Just as I disagree with our tax $ going to wars.  Those who don't want to kill, if you see it that way, shouldn't be forced to support killing.  Let it be a democratic choice.  If the issue loses too much support and funding then the issue must die.
    I don't know why this is a problem for anyone.

"Put on your high-heeled sneakers/it's Party time" - Steely Dan.

by rainmanjr on Sat Jan 22, 2011 at 03:12:18 AM PST

•  yes, women are just wombs with legs (2+ / 0-)
      Christy1947, tardis10

why should we consider any other aspect of their life and, of course, if there is a fetus inside them, the woman is completely invisible

people rights should NOT be put up for a vote

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!" - The Shoveler

by Pandoras Box on Sat Jan 22, 2011 at 04:31:48 AM PST

•  Sorry, but I don't see it as people rights. (0+ / 0-)

I know you'll point to freedom over your body and, like I said, I would not legally, physically or mentally restrict you from that.  But nor would I so force those who object that it is murder, whether they go hassle doctors and patients or not, pay for something deeply abhorant to them.  I would want such an exclusion for war, as well, since lives are at stake.  Making our voices heard, through taxpayers having the right to opt-out of a life or death issue, is the only way to respect all points of view.  It is also fair, IMO.

"Put on your high-heeled sneakers/it's Party time" - Steely Dan.

by rainmanjr on Sat Jan 22, 2011 at 05:35:27 AM PST

•  But that's not how it works (3+ / 0-)
          Pandoras Box, schnecke21, tardis10

We don't really have any say in the way the government spends our taxes. I would much rather spend my tax dollars on low cost women's health clinics in poorer neighborhoods than on the wars, but I don't have that choice.
          It's the old "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride" thing.

How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove and doesn't have that dangerous beak. Jack Handey

by skohayes on Sat Jan 22, 2011 at 06:30:50 AM PST

•  I don't believe it's been proposed. (0+ / 0-)

You may say that I'm a dreamer...but we fight for all kinds of other things so why not this?  No, it probably won't gain traction but it might open up a discussion that leads to a mutually acceptable idea.  How about a special account you can choose to have a percentage of your taxes go to (like the Presidential election fund)?  This is not a normal issue and, therefore, must be treated as a serious exception for tax use.  I would not use this fund for any abortion outside the sphere of mother's life or fetus development, though.  You want an abortion in order to have a better life then go pay for it yourself.  Acts have consequences.

"Put on your high-heeled sneakers/it's Party time" - Steely Dan.

by rainmanjr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 09:57:22 AM PST

•  well, you don't live in libertarian land yet (1+ / 0-)
          tardis10

and you DON'T get to "opt-out" of your tax dollars going to fight wars.

There is this concept called "the tyranny of the majority" and that is why you don't let VOTERS decide people's rights

by Pandoras Box on Sat Jan 22, 2011 at 06:45:07 AM PST

•  Does your avoidance of killing (1+ / 0-)
      tardis10

only apply to humans?  How about taking a medication that kills the parasites in the body?  A fetus is really parasitical until it is born.  A few stay sorta parasitical well into their 30's, but I'd draw the line at birth.
      Your proclamation also generates the question of when does life begin?  At conception?  What about the egg and sperm prior to conception, are they not alive?
      Would you therefore not want tax dollars to pay for any contraception?
      What about tax dollars paying for the abortion of a fetus with Trisomy 18 which causes a horrible brief "life" with the specter of its death hanging over all involved?  Would you deprive a woman the ability to protect herself and her other children from having to endure such a tragedy?
      How about just having tax dollars pay for all health care (yay, single payer) and let the woman decide what is best for her own body?
      Taxes are not discretionary.  You don't get to choose from a menu as to what your dollars support.  How is your wanting to avoid paying for killing any different from a right-winger not wanting to pay for birth control?  Both of you claim moral motivation.  Your morals are for you.  You may not extend them to me or my body.

I was wise enough to never grow up while fooling most people into believing I had. - Margaret Mead

by fayea on Sat Jan 22, 2011 at 09:58:18 AM PST

•  Whose tax money is that now? I live in one of (0+ / 0-)

those states which gets back much less than a buck in Federal services and much less than a buck in state services for every dollar we pay in. Some states get multiple bucks back for every dollar in. What about my tax money? Don't I get an opinion about it as you do? There is a funny correspondence between my condition and Blue states, and overreturn and red states as it is, also between blue and red counties in my state.

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (73)
  • 2016 (57)
  • Elections (47)
  • Environment (46)
  • Media (43)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Hillary Clinton (37)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (35)
  • Civil Rights (33)
  • Law (33)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Barack Obama (32)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Climate Change (30)
  • Economy (27)
  • Labor (25)
  • Bernie Sanders (21)
  • Congress (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site