View Diary: Beck defends "Shoot Them in the Head" Comment (143 comments)

•  It's amazing to me how much he looks (3+ / 0-)
    Black Max, G2geek, corvo

Like Fritz Sauckel. Who was a Nazi swine of massive proportions.

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 02:13:59 PM PST

•  True. He also looks like the buffoon character (1+ / 0-)
      commonmass

in every UFA film from the 1930s.

•  I'll bet you know who Zarah Leander was (2+ / 0-)
        Angie in WA State, corvo

don't you. For those of you who DON'T know, she's a kind of gay icon in Vienna along the lines of Liza or Judy Garland.

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 02:17:23 PM PST

•  The Nazi Songbird? (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

(The one who wasn't Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, that is?)  You won't believe me, but I was actually listening to a CD of 1930s German movie hits in the car today while grocery shopping.  It's amazing how bad most of them were; Zarah could actually sing.

Lately I've been going on a big Max Raabe & Palast Orchester kick too -- another case of the imitation's being much better than the original!

•  When I lived in Vienna in the 90's, (1+ / 0-)
            corvo

I didn't have a single gay friend that didn't have Leander records. I don't know if she was a Nazi, but I like her films and records.

Humming a tune right now: to translate for our non-German speaking friends: "How Can Love Be a Sin?". Good tune. I think she sang "Servus, Servus" too.

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 02:23:44 PM PST

•  I'm not an expert on ZL, but (2+ / 0-)
              sidnora, commonmass

she was probably just a careerist.

Of course, when I lived in Vienna, every gay male I met who was of senior citizen age claimed to have slept with Horst Buchholz.  You never know.  But he was awfully cute in One, Two, Three . . .

•  Oh yes, I've heard that. (1+ / 0-)
                corvo

Including from the owners of Cafe Savoy and Alfi's Goldener Spiegel. If you ever knew those places, I forget how long ago it was that you lived there. For some reason, I had it in my head that you are, indeed, Viennese.

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 02:35:04 PM PST

•  I loved Cafe Savoy! (1+ / 0-)
                  commonmass

A genuine Kaffeehaus, the former Cafe Linke Wienzeile, restored and resurrected by gay men, so it's just a little bit kitschy.  But the coffee is just as good as beim Sacher. :-)

I knew about the Goldener Spiegel, but was never into the bar scene and so never went there.

I did live in Vienna for several years, but unfortunately could never call myself Viennese!

•  "Tuntenbarock" I once heard it called (0+ / 0-)

in a review, what with the feathers in the chandelier and all, and Hansi keeping all the tabs in his head until he heard someone calling "Zahlen, Bitte!". Oh, I loved that place. Of course, it's in close proximity to the Naschmarkt and when I lived in the Nikolaigasse (just behind Steffl) I used to go to the market every Saturday morning and then go for a coffee and a peek at Der Standard (which was quite new at the time, though "Aha! Sie sind ein Standard-leser! was used more than once as a pick-up line to me in the Savoy)at the Savoy, at which time on those mornings it was not "gay" per se. Then, I'd pop in for an Achtel Weiss after it re-opened in the evening and had a distinctively gay clientelle. I'd end the evening at "Das Versteck" because it happened to be located on the ground floor of the building I lived in and also to be a gay establishment.

I never had it so good as when I lived in the Nikolaigasse in Vienna!

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 02:59:01 PM PST

•  Oh, that was back when Standard (1+ / 0-)
                      commonmass

was a readable newspaper -- aspired to quality, just like Die Presse, but didn't consist of a bunch of Austrofaschisten with Nazi pasts.  But Der Standard went down seriously in quality after the latest turn of the century, and became pretty shrilly neocon as well.  Perversely, Kurier was looking good for a while; even had a pretty rowdy online forum.

Two of the happiest years of my life were in Huetteldorf . . . I also lived auf der Wieden, which was okay, and it gave me the opportunity to spend too much money at the ORF Shop and walk past Karl Kraus's apartment, but the year itself was decidedly mixed.

•  I probably should've been more precise and (1+ / 0-)
                        commonmass

said "Corpsgeister" instead of Austrofaschisten -- folks like Pia Maria Plechl really did long for a Habsburg restoration!

•  or, in the case of Presse editor (1+ / 0-)
                        commonmass

Otto Schulmeister, a Nazi and a CIA past!

(cue Judy Tenuta: "Not too redundant!")

•  Yes, I read Der Standard (1+ / 0-)
                        corvo

daily still on line out of habit, but you're right: it used to be a moderate Socialist paper but independent and far to the left of Die Presse, for sure. It has gone downhill. In fact, Austria and Hungary both have seen a frightening revival of rightist sentiment. Hungary is especially in trouble, as it takes up the mantle of the EU Presidency amidst serious authoritarian and press-freedom issues. (My Hungarian is very rudimentary and not good enough to read their papers but news can be had in German and English).

During my time in Vienna I also lived in Pensing and Liesing, which while lovely is pretty far out there. Though it was always nice, when I lived in Liesing, to get off the U4 by Schoenbrunn, a place where I once had a movie-perfect romantic picnic.

Der Kraus Karl! Love him. Remind me: why were you living in Vienna? I forget.

(During the time I lived in Austria, I also lived in Burgenland, too, in a place called Hornstein. Near to Schranawand in N.O. where I had great friends with a sugar beet farm and the best Bauernschnapps I have ever put my lips to!)

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 03:20:59 PM PST

•  Horst Buchholz (1+ / 0-)
                corvo

His name came up over dinner with German friends Friday night. When I saw him in 1,2,3, I thought he was the cutest boy I'd ever seen. I was 14.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 04:54:59 PM PST

•  Still pretty high up there, actually, (1+ / 0-)
                  sidnora

well, at that age at least.  He didn't age terribly well, if memory serves.

•  Many men (0+ / 0-)

who are achingly beautiful in their youth don't age well. Peter O'Toole, another teenage crush of mine, springs to mind. OTOH, a number of men who left me cold when they were young became much more attractive to me in middle age, and even later - Sean Connery, Paul Newman.

No idea why this is so.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 05:36:26 AM PST

•  This is totally off-topic, (1+ / 0-)
            corvo

But I think I've mentioned this to you before and I know I've brought it up with Dirkster: how about a German language forum over on DK4? I was thinking about it this summer, and now with the approach of a new format, maybe a good time? IF I can figure out how to use the damned thing, and I was a beta tester!

Mdmslle to commonmass: "You're a household name around here". Who knew.

by commonmass on Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 02:26:36 PM PST