View Diary: Thwarting Gun Violence (104 comments)

•  Except it's not like a human fingerprint. (4+ / 0-)

It's easily changed manually or over time.

(RKBA) Right to Keep and Bear Arms: interested in a DKos RKBA group? Email in profile. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 10:23:00 AM PST

•  here's the thing, deliberately changing (0+ / 0-)

the ballistic fingerprint of your firearm is a virtual admission that you would be using it to commit a crime. just like filing off the serial numbers. you make that illegal.
      d.c. (before heller, at least) had mandatory sentences for unlicensed carrying of handguns. there was a considerably higher mandatory sentence for carrying a handgun with the serial number filed off. result? even criminals didn't want a handgun with the serial number filed off.
      i fail to see the argument of any safe, sane, law abiding gun owner to having on file a ballistic fingerprint of their weapon. why should cars have license plates? don't they wear down? can't they be altered or stolen?
      your argument that you don't think your collection shouldn't be documented because somebody else somewhere might alter theirs is a bit weak.

Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues. The Gita 3.21

by rasbobbo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 10:45:47 AM PST

•  You mean (5+ / 0-)

shooting my gun (which changes the fingerprint) is a virtual admission that I will be committing a crime with it?

You mean changing out my barrel to suit a different type of shooting is a virtual etc...?

Your argument is wrong. Ballistic fingerprints change when you use the firearm as intended.

by KVoimakas on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 10:54:57 AM PST

•  i mean if your intend to have multiple barrels (0+ / 0-)

& your intentions are as beneficent as you claim, you should have no objection to having a ballistic fingerprint of each barrel on file. you should likewise have no objection to having your firearms periodically inspected. i have to have my car inspected & reregistered every year. of course i don't change license plates to suit my sense of whimsy, if i decide to use stolen, er, borrowed or altered plates & i'm stopped? well, there are laws.

by rasbobbo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 11:05:41 AM PST

•  rasbobbo, do you know anything at all about (4+ / 0-)

firearms and their use?

Everytime I run 10 rounds through the barrel at the range, I change the ballistic fingerprint of the weapon. It's wear and tear on the mechanism as a result of normal use.

Maybe my extractor hangs when I'm doing a pre-hunting-season zero, or maybe my firing pin breaks while I'm trying to tune my eye and hand to a deer rifle; I repair or replace those pieces,and my weapon no longer marks casings and/or bullets exactly the same way as before I did that.

By your logic I've now committed a crime, because changing the ballistic fingerprint of the weapon is a criminal offense.

Such thinking is nearly laughable.

LBJ & Lady Bird, Sully Sullenberger, Molly Ivins, Barbara Jordan, Ann Richards, Drew Brees: Texas is No Bush League! -7.50,-5.59

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 11:49:11 AM PST

•  takes a simple thing like a boring bar (4+ / 0-)

I watched an episode of the ORIGINAL Hawaii-Five-O, sometime in the 1970s, where one of the things a guy did to cover up having shot someone was rebore his firearms afterward -- he had access to a machine shop evenings / weekends, though I don't remember now if it was at his home or some pro shop.

It foreshadowed the whole CSI franchise when Steve McGarrett (as played by Jack Lord) found the metal shavings in the shop, and got a lab match between those shavings and the barrel of the weapon suspected in the killings. That was the piece of evidence they used for the arrest, at the end of the show.

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 11:42:07 AM PST

•  yeah, exactly. the bore of his firearm was (0+ / 0-)

changed because? & if there had been a fingerprint of the weapon on file it would have been easy to prove that the bore had been altered even if there were no filings lying around. it might have been even easier to link the weapon to the crime in the first place.

by rasbobbo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 11:59:52 AM PST