View Diary: CBS/NYT poll: Support for repeal of health care provisions nearly non-existent (75 comments)

•  Bring up mandate repeal. (5+ / 0-)

The only reason that the mandate is in the bill is to protect insurance companies and reduce cost.

Score it and bring it up.  The GOP is the one that is in bed with the insurance companies.

The only option without the mandate is the PUBLIC OPTION.

(new sig line)

The Speaker of the House is not an alcoholic!

by NCJim on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 02:21:53 PM PST

•  I actually think even with the public option (4+ / 0-)
      Matt Z, mon, Mr MadAsHell, James Allen

it would nigh unworkable without a mandate. To my mind, the only option without a mandate is single payer.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

by NMDad on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 02:24:48 PM PST

•  Single payer is a mandate... (7+ / 0-)

it's just one enforced through a power that Congress unambiguously has, the power to levy direct taxes to fund policies, rather than a power that Congress may (or may not) have, the power to require everyone to purchase something in interstate commerce.

But, since under a single payer system, nobody would be able to not pay the tax and not use the benefit, it is, in fact, a "mandate".

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
        "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 02:36:44 PM PST

•  I hope, eventually.... (0+ / 0-)

...we can get to single payer from this. Hopefully Congress will be forced to conclude it's the only workable solution.

•  Actually, I'm in favor of the Swiss model... (0+ / 0-)

Universal, low-cost basic coverage delivered through a private, not-for-profit system, with for-profit insurance relegated to things like cosmetic surgery and upgraded rooms... mostly because I'm not ideologically wedded to government solutions as opposed to private ones, if they will both work.

But I'll take single-payer.

--Shannon

"Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 03:13:51 PM PST

•  Ah yes...U.S. and Switzerland...same/same (0+ / 0-)

Let's see now...Switzerland is the size of what...Arizona?  Little bigger?  Little smaller?

Yeah...what they do there with health care (or most anything else)is bound to work here in the U.S.

And, um...demographics?  Well...okay, not so much but hey, they ARE a bona fide country so......

•  I think that the incentive structure, (1+ / 0-)
                Odysseus

rather than demographics, is the relevant part. Basically, if you take the profit motive away, the cost of coverage falls to a point where everyone can afford it, and government management isn't necessary.

But as I said, I'll try anything that I think will work. I'm not going to favor government (or private) solutions just because they are government (or private.)

If the solution works, I don't really care who does it.

--Shannon

"Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 05:06:11 PM PST

•  I think you're right (2+ / 0-)
        Matt Z, NMDad

The only way to avoid having people choose not to participate is to make it mandatory.

Mandate is one way.

Just folding it into everyone's taxes where it's sort-of hidden is the other.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 02:37:31 PM PST

•  significant parts of both parties (5+ / 0-)
      RichM, DelRPCV, MTmofo, Matt Z, mon

are in bed with the insurance industry.  That's why this bill is as is in the first place.

"Intolerance is something which belongs to the religions we have rejected." - J.J. Rousseau

by James Allen on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 02:25:19 PM PST

•  No, there's another option (0+ / 0-)

No bill at all.

I keep seeing people ask the republicans what about pre-existing conditions?  What about the 50 million that won't have coverage under the republican proposals?  The answer is: They Don't Care.

I think they'd be quite happy repealing HCR and replacing it with nothing. No problem here.  Nothing to see.   Nothing to do.  Which is why they don't really have any replacement blil. They don't care. They plan to replace Health Care Reform with I Don't Care.

Frankly, I blame everything on Nixon.

by J Orygun on Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 03:25:31 PM PST