View Diary: Governor Rick Perry Lays $30 Billion Rotten Egg on Texas (290 comments)

•  Your taxes are so high (4+ / 0-)
      LivesInAShoe, Philpm, Lujane, Gemina13

My California house - bought in 2001 for $630,000 worth $1 million today (though gone down a lot from the peak) has RE taxes of $8400.

•  i'm curious because i love cali (5+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, Samer, Lujane, judyms9, laker

and would love to live in such a beautiful place.....how does one afford a $600,000 house?

we could never afford it even though we are both degreed professionals (we have six degrees between us.)

what do people do to get the money to pay their mortgages there?

by LivesInAShoe on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:01:50 AM PST

•  About $3.5k / year (4+ / 0-)
        wader, LivesInAShoe, jayden, Actbriniel

for my $260k Denver area house.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:18:16 AM PST

•  Close to $5k for a $200K house in CT (1+ / 0-)
          wader

and our only "town service" so to speak is garbage pickup.  They are also supposed to plow roads, but don't even get me started on that one...

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. " - Buddha Shakyamuni

by Actbriniel on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:59:10 AM PST

•  depends on where you live in CT, too (3+ / 0-)
            side pocket, skohayes, Actbriniel

property taxes vary greatly.  We pay about $9,000/year on a $600,000 home in my town in CT (1.5%).  However, that same home in nearby West Hartford or Simsbury would have taxes of $12,000/year or more (2%), while if we lived in Farmington, we'd probably pay around $7,500 (1.25%).  And, a $600,000 place in Greenwich would have a property tax of around $6,000 (or 1%)... of course, $600,000 might buy you a garage in Greenwich.

"I'm not a member of an organized political party - I'm a Democrat." Will Rogers

by newjeffct on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 09:39:41 AM PST

•  And people wonder (2+ / 0-)
              newjeffct, Actbriniel

why we passed Prop 13. When you buy a house, your prop tax is 1% of the purchase price.

Ceiling Cat rules....srsly.

by side pocket on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 10:25:50 AM PST

•  but, you have higher income tax rates (1+ / 0-)
                Eugene Fitzherbert

and the highest sales tax in the nation.  Before Prop 13, California public schools were among the best in the nation, if not the best.  Now, California public schools are below average.

by newjeffct on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 02:23:05 PM PST

•  $600,000 won't buy you squat in Greenwich (3+ / 0-)
              newjeffct, Van Buren, skohayes

Of course if your house was in Greenwich it would likely be worth a whole hell of a lot more so your taxes would be more than $6,000 a year.  In the end it really kind of equalizes.

I pay about $400 a month on a 2 family in Danbury.  The home is worth about $250,000 to $300,000 today but at one point was worth almost twice that.  I suspect my taxes on it will go down next time they have a revaluation (next year) because multi family dwellings have seen a larger drop than the typical home or condo.

I also pay about $125 a month in taxes on a condo in Danbury that today is worth close to $200,000.  it's a 1 bedroom 1,200 sq ft unit.

Tax rates in Danbury are high compared to neighboring towns like Ridgefield or Brookfield but they offer less services and the values in thoose towns are higher.  Towns like Darien and Greenwich have the lowest tax rates but the values in those towns are some of the highest in CT.

For comparisons sake, I also own 2 houses in NJ which are literally under a bridge heading to Staten Island.  Those houses today are worth about $150,000 and $250,000.  The one house is old, small and even then I'm paying much more in taxes than my two family in CT and it's in a way shittier community.  The bigger house I pay more in taxes than the two in CT COMBINED!!!.  So I'm paying more for far less.  I would be okay with paying more for more but that's not the case.

I feel for people in NJ cause they think they're getting relief in taxes (cause Christie promised tax cuts and to cut spending, blah blah blah) but their property taxes are going up alot due to Christie cutting state aid to the towns so that he could give his rich buddies tax cuts.  Their tax burden is alot higher than in CT and NJ sucks in comparison.  Our cost of living might be a bit higher in CT but our quality of life is way better and we pay less for it.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 11:39:22 AM PST

•  We live in a town that (1+ / 0-)
              newjeffct

really does not have much of an industrial base, so it disproportionately falls on the average home owner.

by Actbriniel on Fri Feb 04, 2011 at 06:58:24 AM PST

•  Recently looked into a move to SoCal (2+ / 0-)
        LivesInAShoe, MGross

and, it was not feasible economically, and that was coming from Connecticut.  The housing costs are higher in Southern Califonia, which is partially offset by a lower property tax rate (approx 1% of home value in CA, while it's 1.5% where I live in CT) This location was about 20 miles NW of downtown LA.  We would have a home that was older and smaller square footage wise, and we'd also lose the basement we have in CT for extra storage.

Additionally, our state income tax rate would have nearly doubled in California to 9.3% from 5% in CT, and the sales tax is 8.25% in CA vs 6% in CT.  And, some areas of California have higher sales tax rates than 8.25%.

Plus, our town in CT has one of the top school systems in the state, and we were unsure if the schools in this area of CA would be as good.  and, if they were as good, we'd be paying an even greater premium for a home in that town/city.

So, after my wife got a promotion at work, we decided against exploring the move further due to the cost of living.

by newjeffct on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 09:34:12 AM PST

•  Local Taxes Suck (1+ / 0-)
      RenMin

Its why I moved out of San Antonio into the neighboring counties.

www.billwhitefortexas.com Liberals, fighting the conservative way since 1776...

by Final Frame on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:50:10 AM PST