View Diary: Governor Rick Perry Lays $30 Billion Rotten Egg on Texas (290 comments)

•  You realize there are more commercial sectors (5+ / 0-)

in Texas than just petro and refineries, right?

Like high tech, green and trade?

Not to mention Texas still has regional production because of our cultural bias to buy Made in Texas.

While the state government has defied our state constitution buy running a debt, the pieces are all in place for an economy built on the global village model.

Most states do not have this luxury as "Made in Florida" makes no sense to the global consumer, while "Made in Texas" will.

Though "Made in USA" is still the best label one can slap on box, and we still out produce China and Mexico combined.

•  john (5+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1, khereva, ilex, MGross, indubitably

i don't think they realize it.

they still think it's cowboys and oil wells.

which you can still find amid the wafer foundries, massive  spanking new high schools,  and of course, the freeways.

by LivesInAShoe on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:38:25 AM PST

•  I've lived in Texas a very long time (2+ / 0-)
      skohayes, Inspector Javert

and I know lots of people who buy only US made products to support domestic manufacturing, but I know only one person that goes out to look for Texas made products.  At our local chain of grocery stores they will label with big signs Texas grown or Texas made products and they will sit on the shelf.  When you can save $30 at the grocery store buying other items over local stuff its a given where people that are hurting will spend their money.

www.billwhitefortexas.com Liberals, fighting the conservative way since 1776...

by Final Frame on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:47:53 AM PST

•  Of course. Why would you even ask that. (2+ / 0-)
      jimreyn, Predictor

But Texas and Texans will suffer because they chose the race to the bottom.

Trumka: "Absolutely Insane" to Extend Tax Cuts for Millionaires

by TomP on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 10:05:51 AM PST

•  "made in texas" (3+ / 0-)
      jimreyn, TomP, arpear

is surely a marker for me to avoid.

sorry.  I realize there are lovely people in texas, but the texas model is not one I want to emulate.

and if you go around putting labels on stuff, that only helps me know what to avoid.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 10:33:12 AM PST

•  More Blue Bell Ice Cream and Zeigen Bock for me! (2+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1, khereva

In the global village market place of this century, Texas is alone among the states to have its own international brand.

Though other states love to hate on Texas, it is our cultural and economic independence that will save us a seat at the global marketplace table.

Made in Delaware means nothing to a shopper in Germany, though they will recognize Texas.

jimreyn, TomP

that no one has thought to create a "made in delaware" brand.  the mere idea of this disturbs me for its arrogance on several levels.  I have lots of personal reasons for my very subjective texas-anomosity, but there are also political and structural/ideological ones too.  And I have no trouble copping to them.  I feel a bit like Louise of Thelma and Louise fame, who insists they stay out of Texas no matter what.

On the whole, I'm glad most other regions or states see themselves as part of a larger whole rather than creating an economic ego/identity trip. I come from a place that has even more history than Texas and just as much local pride, so it isn't just "pride of home" that I object to here.  It strikes me a different level, and that is precisely what disturbs me so much about it.

And I appreciate your giving me the heads up for products to avoid, though I've never heard of either or the ones you listed.  Should I run across them, I'll know not to buy.

And I mean that genuinely, not as an attempt as belligerence. I appreciate the info.

by a gilas girl on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 10:59:47 AM PST

•  Also avoid Dell, NASA and gasoline. (2+ / 0-)
            BlackSheep1, khereva

And any product made of plastic, since 90% of the country's refined plastic material comes from Texas.

And cotton.

This list is gonna get pretty long.

I am also glad you live in a place that predates the Spanish arriving in the New World. I am all for more native American community pride on Daily Kos.

•  luckily (5+ / 0-)

I do avoid all three of those things too, at least as a direct consumer.  No Dell products, NASA and I have no contact and I don't own an automobile, so my gasoline purchases are extremely limited.  I'm not a big fan of the internal combustion engine anyway and seek to find ways to live my life that is not so private-transportation dependent (hence some of the dislike for the suburbs).

Every "place" in the Western Hemisphere predates the Spanish arrival in the New World, it seems to me, since the land has been here a long, long time.  Some of us are lucky enough to know that we have connections to those places that were inhabited by people living there before the Europeans arrived.  So, I'm not quite sure what kind of snarky point you are trying to make to me, in that classic "Texas" fashion of one-upmanship (lol).

And I have been blessed to have been exposed to quite a bit of native American awareness, given both who and where I come from.  I agree it is a valuable perspective that we need more of.

I don't deny that everyone should appreciate where they come from, and I hope I have been able to benefit from the particularities of my own biographical and geographical standpoint.  That doesn't lead me to want to establish my own economic fiefdom or to proclaim superiority.  It does help me understand particularities and specificities in a way that I wouldn't, had I come from some place else.  I, for one, am grateful for that, but I don't express that appreciation in the form of a home-town chauvinism (except during college basketball season).

But it is a long way from appreciation of your roots to the establishment of independent economic autonomous regions, it seems to me.  If folks want to establish those, however, as a consumer I have the right to avoid them whenever possible, as a means of protest. Every opportunity presents a equal opportunity for dissent, and all that.

by a gilas girl on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 11:42:08 AM PST

•  ...let's not forget Shiner. [n/t] (3+ / 0-)
          davechen, BlackSheep1, khereva
        •  Yes to the Blue Bell, (1+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1

however, you do know that Zeigen Bock is owned by Annheuser Busch, yes?  Were you meaning to say Shiner?

Culbert Olson is my hero!

by chemborg on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 11:32:49 AM PST

•  Shiner Dortmunder Spring Ale is pretty delicious. (1+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1
    •  Nothing wrong with being proud (1+ / 0-)
      TomP

of Texas as a state, its got a lot of wonderful people and wonderful parts.
      But as services are cut, schools defunded, hospitals closing, I imagine many of those workers might be moving to another state for more favorable conditions.
      By the way, I imagine most global consumers are very familiar with Florida's products, including their famous oranges, their beaches and keys, and their most famous product, Disneyworld.

How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove and doesn't have that dangerous beak. Jack Handey

by skohayes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 02:49:02 PM PST