View Diary: "Not Close Enough to Death" (149 comments)

•  Incredible (7+ / 0-)

There were nearly 14,000 abortions covered in the report I cited. Of the 13,843 cases, 10,190 women responded "Does not want children at this time." And yes, women could choose more than one response. That's why there were no totals.

Why is it so difficult to accept that abortion is sometimes used as birth control? I'm not saying women shouldn't have that right. I'm just saying it happens.

"The real power is in the hands of small groups of people and I don't think they have titles." -- Bob Dylan

by nonprofit jim on Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 01:05:39 PM PST

•  Sorry to say this, but your pro-choice halo is (2+ / 0-)
      Jane Lew, Sand Hill Crane

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 03:50:23 PM PST

•  Maybe you could try reading what is written (3+ / 0-)

instead of assuming you know what the poster is thinking. I am definitely forming an impression of you as well....

•  I'm talking about the impression his/her words (0+ / 0-)

are making on me.  It has nothing to do with any assumptions about what he/she is thinking.

You have illustrated this perfectly when you say you are forming an impression of me.  Of course you are.  The thing that matters is what your impression is, not what was my intention.

I often don't understand why people write things here.  One would assume it is to get a point across yet when they have pointed out to them how someone receiving their message is interpreting it, they get all in a hissy fit instead of saying, oops, that wasn't the impression I wanted to convey, how do I re-word what I wrote.

by Observerinvancouver on Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 05:19:48 PM PST

•  Sorry, I have to call BS on that. (0+ / 0-)

Sorry to say this, but your pro-choice halo is really starting to slip.  A little matter of protesting too much.  That is my opinion and that's the impression I'm forming of you.  If that's not your intention, maybe you should re-think how you're expressing yourself.

What exactly is your opinion based on if not assumptions? You clearly do not know the commenter personally so when you say you aren't making assumptions then I have to assume that you are not a human being.

Perhaps you should consider your words more carefully next time before commenting. Understanding what you are writing is generally wiser.

•  The point I was (1+ / 0-)
              Jane Lew

attempting to make was that by repeatedly and gratuitously saying he/she is pro-choice it raises doubts in my mind.  Hence, my use of "protesting too much".  It's like someone saying, "It isn't about the money".  The more frequently this is said, the less likely it's true.

Perhaps you might want to think a little bit more before making such a condescending remark as your last paragraph.  Since I was explaining my reactions to nonprofit jim's comments I think it goes without saying that I understood what I was saying.  Tough beans for you if you didn't.

by Observerinvancouver on Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 06:17:23 PM PST

•  Keep trying, maybe you wil lget it one day. (0+ / 0-)

I think it goes without saying that I understood what I was saying

Obviously it didn't. So tough beans for you. Keep working on those assumptions, you need some practice.

•  Lost in Texas, thanks (2+ / 0-)
                  LostInTexas, marykk

I had to go out for a few hours to take my daughter to a basketball game, and I just wanted to say thanks for jumping in during my absence.

I can't believe the crap directed toward my comments. "Doesn't fucking happen," "buying into a right-wing meme," "halo is slipping."

Jesus. That was disappointing, and that's the nicest way I can put it.

by nonprofit jim on Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 07:16:20 PM PST

•  Well, of course, you are entitled to your opinion (0+ / 0-)

no matter how ill-founded and lacking it is.

by Observerinvancouver on Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 10:16:59 PM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • International (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site