View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: MONDAY (379 comments)

•  BIG JEERS to The Simpsons.... (4.00)
    sheesh...what was that about? a guy hiding out in Ladies' Golf....what the? I smell a cop-out.. feh!

...Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things....

by PhillyGal on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:06:31 AM PST

•  More Simpsons jeers (4.00)
      I also didn't know what to think about choosing Patti.  I mean, I don't want to say she's not a popular character but she is portrayed kind of negatively.  I think it would have meant much more if one of the more popular or more frequent characters came out.

Did seem like something of a let down, weasel-esque portrayal.

"It's not like I never want to bite people...I just know it's wrong." Satchel Pooch

by Mrs Pastor on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:18:28 AM PST

•  It was just so clunky. (4.00)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a comedy show ever treated interracial marriage like this.  I was a little insulted, actually.
        •  Compare The Simpsons, for example... (4.00)

...with "Guess Who's Coming For Dinner," which I rented a few weeks back.  Now that's how you tackle an issue with humor.
          •  that was a good movie! (4.00)
            I saw it a few years back and enjoyed it.  Much better portrayal, you are right.

by Mrs Pastor on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:07:40 AM PST

•  One of my all time favorites. (4.00)
            Kate Hepburn was so fucking beautiful in that movie.  What a treasure she was.

"Our representative democracy is not working ... I believe the chief reason for this is that it is ruled by a small group of old men."-Shirley Chisolm

by JLongs on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 11:10:41 AM PST

•  I've tried a few times (4.00)
            to find the lines by Sidney Poitier in that movie that kept going through my head after Bush was re-elected.  Poitier says to his father something along the lines of, "Not until your entire generation has laid down and died...."  Probably a little harsh and a very broad stroke, but it kept popping into my head.

Speaking the truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

by TracieLynn on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 12:07:09 PM PST

•  Patti made sense to me, Mrs. P; she does (4.00)
        have an established history.  And in my scenario:  it would've been cool for Patti to marry her lady, then the couple would just become an extension of the Simpson family --- get togethers at holidays, etc., --- just fold in, set another plate, as it were.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.  Jeers to me! :(

...Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things....

by PhillyGal on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:38:46 AM PST

•  no Jeers to you, PG (4.00)
          Your opinion makes sense.  I do agree that it would have been a better ending if Patti and Veronica had been married and became an extension of the family and an ongoing story.  Maybe for me it was the overall feeling that this was a once and done story, and well, not that well done overall.

by Mrs Pastor on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:06:12 AM PST