View Diary: The anti-AARP campaign begins (677 comments)

•  That what John Kerry /Mary Beth Cahill thought too (4.00)
    on the Swiftboat vets ads

and now look where they are.

•  interesting articles on The Spectator (4.00)
      Hey,

So while that ad seems weirdly out of context, I clicked on it to see if there would be any explanation.  What I found was more disturbing.  Links to two articles that talk about the behind-the-scenes powerplay of the "establishment Dems" (read Pelosi...again) and Howard Dean.

Check them out here:

NANCY'S BOY

and

DEMZILLA DEVOURS DEAN

Anyone have any word or thoughts on the veracity of these articles?  If they are true, what can we do to help Dean?

On a side note, it is increasingly frustrating that not only do we have to fight the Radical Right, but also that we have to fight our own goddamn party, every step of the way...

•  Demzilla article (4.00)
        I read that too. It really irks me to read that Pelosi and Reid are doing things to undercut Dean from the start. Reid has generally risen in my estimation since becoming minority leader, and Pelosi has been dropping like a rock (and she better watch it, I live in her district and...I...vote).  Well, if this is true, I'm going to give money to the DNC in support of Dean, and I'm going to stiff the DCCC and the DSCC.  And I urge others to do the same, for a year or so.  We can target specific races with our money.

In loving memory: Sophie, June 1, 1993-January 17, 2005. My huckleberry friend.

by Paul in Berkeley on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 02:32:17 PM PST

•  Careful (4.00)
        This is the American Spectator you are talking about. They had lots of articles about what Clinton was supposedly doing and most of it was false. Don't trust them. Reid and Pelosi may have been leery of Dean, but they will come around. Patience.

Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. Albert Einstein

by DrSpike on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 02:46:30 PM PST

•  Exactly (4.00)
          Let's consider the source.  Regular phrasing like "Dean is steamed" and "Dean is privately fuming" makes me very, very suspicious, not to mention the implication that  a "Dean staffer" would talk to the Spectator in such a supposedly candid fashion.  Let's proceed with caution.
          •  In their dreams... (4.00)
            I'm a bit handicapped in discussing this, since I don't listen to conservative talk radio, but I have gotten the impression (through face-to-face contact with a couple people who unfortunately do) that those people are doing EVERYTHING they can to attack the confidence of Democrats in our new leadership team.

So don't "proceed with caution", just discard those tales as more freeper wet dreams.

What have you done today to take Bush and the Bushies down?

by JTML on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 03:53:48 PM PST

•  Consider the source (none)
            Agree. Repugs don't go around worrying about what the left thinks of them. If Reid and Pelosi do act up, we have to deal with them and support Dean. The list won't do them any good if people donate to the DNC.
          •  Take some strategy from Dean (none)
            "I don't respond to blind quotes."
            •  Indeed (none)
              It's also useful to note that The Spectator's spin is so intense that it's about as valid a political news source as The National Enquirer. And it's certainly not a valid source for insight into Democratic intra-party politics.

"...the definition of a gaffe in Washington is somebody who tells the truth but shouldn't have." Howard Dean

by colleen on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 07:52:38 AM PST

•  Will Rogers (4.00)
        An outstanding American and comedian during the Great Depression of the '30's said that he wasn't a member of any "Organized Political Party" he was a Democrat!

That drew a great laugh, at the time, and its still largely true because we-as Democrats-pride ourselves on being individualist's first!

However, in my opinion, it is time to rethink this thing and begin backing our own and stop eating our young if we ever hope to regain Democracy in OUR NATION.

•  Support every Tom, Dick, and Harry? (none)
            There are Dems and then there are Dems.  I have certainly met one or two that I'd rather not support because they are too wacky, even for me.  There are others who are too cozy with people I vehemently disagree with...like our esteemed Mr. Lieberman.  I certainly agree that we must support our candidates, but disagree that every dem politician deserves that support.

The great tragedy of science? The slaying of a beautiful hypothosis by an ugly fact. - Thomas Huxley

by eunichorn on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 09:02:36 AM PST

•  American Spectator: a far right-wing publication (4.00)
        The publisher is Alfred Regnery, of Regnery Publishing, the legendary publishing house for right-wing pundits such as Newt Gingrich, Anne Coulter, Pat Buchanon, Dennis Hastert, David Horowitz, G. Gordon Liddy, Michelle Malkin, Oliver North, John O'Neill,and many, many others. David Brock goes into great detail about Regnery in his book The Republican Noise Machine.

These folks do not have your best interest, or the best interest of the Democratic Party at heart. I suggest thinking the opposite of what they say about Dean, Pelosi and Reid.

If you need any other evidence about the American Spectator, check out their advertisements, including one for the recent CPAC hatefest. These folks are not our friends.

•  "Let's you and him fight" (none)
        These kind of stories are specifically designed to get Democrats fighting with each other. Don't go along with the scam.

Ancient Chinese curse: May you live in Interesting Times

by Chris Andersen on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 03:56:29 PM PST

•  Phone campaigns seem to work. (none)
        Who do we call?
      •  Ignore it (none)
        It's a right-wing magazine, so it's safe to assume that anything there that reflects badly on the Democrats is either a lie or badly distorted.
      •  Demzilla Dean Debate (none)
        Obviously this is the repugs divide and conquer strategy. There are so few sources in the story, only Faux Nooz would air it.

"Once fully enslaved, no nation, state, city of this earth ever afterward resumes its liberty." -- Walt Whitman

by hipsterdufus on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:37:31 PM PST

•  Don't under estimate a simple message (none)

• Recommended (141)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Health Care (18)
  • Barack Obama (18)
  • International (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site