View Diary: Egypt Liveblog: Sub-Diary #99 (354 comments)

•  Suleiman would not have stepped down (5+ / 0-)

as Torturer in Chief™ he would have kept control. US propped up dictators this way for years and he would have been one more.

Too damned old sometimes - too many memories of gawd awful CIA / US control.

The only thing you get from sitting on the fence is splinters in your ass. My Granddaddy!

by SallyCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:24:41 AM PST

•  You say that as if it is fact. (1+ / 0-)
      erush1345

It didn't happen, so we can't know.

"Intolerance is something which belongs to the religions we have rejected." - J.J. Rousseau

by James Allen on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:30:01 AM PST

•  Has history ever shown a US / CIA installed (3+ / 0-)
        conchita, Picot verde, cybrestrike

dictator leaving without a people based revolution?

Give me one historical change and I will give up the certainty of my position.

by SallyCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:34:01 AM PST

•  In other words you won't allow me to cite (1+ / 0-)
          erush1345

Suleiman leaving right now.  He did just give up power.

by James Allen on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:36:39 AM PST

•  Suleiman did not have full power.... (1+ / 0-)
            cybrestrike

he was still VP not President.

He didn't give it up it was taken from him.

by SallyCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:45:44 AM PST

•  You've gone way off of the original argument, (1+ / 0-)
              erush1345

which was that we don't know what the intent of the Obama admin was to do have Suleiman do.  According to reports yesterday, there was a split within them on whether they even wanted him involved.

And now that he has left, it's useless to say he wasn't going to leave.  He HAD to leave.  There was no way the people were going to let him stay.  What purpose the Obama admin wanted him to serve we don't know, and won't until we get leaks.  All we know is that he's gone.

by James Allen on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:56:24 AM PST

•  Ahh...got it - this is all about Obama - I'm done (1+ / 0-)
                cybrestrike

I don't do Obama comments.

by SallyCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:57:54 AM PST

•  "This is all about Obama" (0+ / 0-)

the original comment I was responding to was, and you responded to me, so whatever.

And if you knew me, you'd know I am not a fan of Barack Obama's.

by James Allen on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 12:02:13 PM PST

•  Then go read about US in Iran and Nicauragua (1+ / 0-)
                    cybrestrike

and yes Egypt.

I stand by my original comment: no dictator ever "installed", aka approved by, the US left without a people's revolution.  Sulieman never had power and does not count.

by SallyCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 12:04:48 PM PST

•  Kossacks always assume people they argue with are (0+ / 0-)

ignorant.

I studied Latin American history and politics during college.  I'm well aware of our history.  I'm just willing to admit when I don't know something, like what Obama's intention was.

by James Allen on Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 12:13:13 PM PST

•  What do you usually (0+ / 0-)

hire a torturer to do?  The man's area is repression.

This is what Obama and Clinton wanted Suleiman for in the transition period: 1) an immediate assertion of continuity and continued impunity, and 2) moving forward, a constant security state apparatus threat shaping the developing democracy towards (perceived by dumbass neocons) US interests.

Or maybe they wanted him to take up something positive, like cake decorating?

Please don't feed the security state.