View Diary: GOP's CR budget would shut down Social Security (160 comments)

•  Chump Change (1+ / 0-)
    Fossil

To the repubs: Social Security is chump change
    To the rest of us: Social Security is survival
    How many Baby Boomers voted for the repubs starting with Reagan?
    What fools your were and are! See now what friends the repubs are to the working folks? While you voted for Guns, God and Gays, your party was stealing us blind.
    Of course many of you let race cloud your vote in 2008, right? Who will protect you now? Not the repubs/tea baggers! You better hope Obama and the Dems can protect you.
    How many Baby Boomers will still vote repub in 2012? Total fools!

•  Change the crap (8+ / 0-)

Boomers by and large voted more liberally than either the generation before or the generation after. Trailing end Boomers were only 16 in 1980 and many of the rest of us were still of an age with low voting participation. The whole 'blame the boomers' narrative comes from the exact same place as does the Social Security is broke narrative, that is the Cato sponsored "Leninist Strategy" of 1983 (see my diary from this morning via the link below). The only chumps are those who can't use a calender to compare the birth ages of boomers compared to who was running what when. Congress in the 80s and nineties was overwhelmingly controlled by the Greatest and Silent Generations, I mean it is not like those 70 and 80 year old Committee Chairmen were Boomers.

The whole 'Selfish Boomers' meme is pure crap devised by the enemies of Social Security in the largely successful campaign to convince Gen-X that it wouldn't be there because Boomers drained the pond. Who was it that paid the highest price in terms of extra taxes and increased retirement age than Boomers? Nobody,  not only did we get screwed we managed to catch all the blame.

Please visit, follow or join our Group: Social Security Defenders

by Bruce Webb on Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 08:22:09 AM PST

•  The fruits of the divide and conquer (2+ / 0-)
        Zinman, cassandracarolina

strategy: intergenerational attacks and recrimination.

It was elites who turned against the idea of social insurance, not voters, who overwhelmingly support it despite decades of bipartisan propaganda.

Politics is the art of the possible, but that means you have to think about changing what is possible, not that you have to accept it in perpetuity.

by David Kaib on Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 08:30:52 AM PST

•  Unselfish boomers (5+ / 0-)
        laurak, Zinman, rwgate, billmosby, David Kaib

As a boomer who has paid into Social Security since 1974 (and a life-long liberal/progressive voter), thank you for helping to dispel the “selfish boomer” narrative. I hope that those who have benefited from the money that I’ve paid into the system have been able to enjoy some measure of financial security in their golden years.  I’ve had my doubts about ever getting anything out of the system for my own golden years, but I never envisioned the sort of political brinksmanship we’re seeing now.  Rather than fueling inter-generational greed and terrifying people who rely (or expect to rely) on benefits to simply live, our leaders should be working to ensure the long-term viability of Social Security.

•  Didn't we vote to pay more back then? (1+ / 0-)
        Zinman

Or at least I believe the FICA deduction about doubled sometime around 1980 just to put some more aside for the boomers and those coming after them. And however it happened, I don't think it would have happened without the votes of boomers back then.

Moderation in most things. Except Reactors. IFR forever!

by billmosby on Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 09:36:54 AM PST

•  It was 1983 (1+ / 0-)
          billmosby

The Greenspan Commission recommended an increase in the FICA deduction from 4.2% to 6.2% for workers.  Congress passed this recommendation and made it law during the Reagan Administration.

The idea was to pre-fund SS for the baby-boomers by building up the SS Trust Fund.  It worked.  We now have a $2.5 trillion Trust Fund, paid for by baby-boomers to carry the additonal load of funding SS for their generation.

"11 dimensional chess" is a clever form of using magical thinking to obfuscate the obvious.

by Zinman on Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 10:44:08 PM PST

•  Thanks. I knew it happened (0+ / 0-)

sometime back in there. Looks like I paid in about 170k over the years, about what I put into what has become my IRA. So what I will be getting from SS is just about exactly what I will get from the interest on my IRA contents. Doesn't look like we're burdening anybody with all that considered.

Moderation in most things. Except Reactors. IFR forever!

by billmosby on Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 06:50:00 AM PST

•  I can barely tolerate this anymore (0+ / 0-)

And I am not even a boomer.  I am older than that, but have always been lumped into that group in spite of my date of birth.  I am sick of hearing all the stereotypes about "old white people vote repubican."

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~ George Carlin

by vigilant meerkat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 09:37:31 AM PST

•  You do not want to hear what I think of you (1+ / 0-)
      laurak

I am sick to death of this dammed meme, and here you are pushing it and pushing it.  You don't know what the hell you are talking about.  Stereotyping appears to be one the favorite things to do among a certain crowd on this blog.  Fuck you all!

by vigilant meerkat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 09:34:54 AM PST