View Diary: The Community Spotlight Effect (160 comments)

•  I do dislike it when diaries make the Rec List (1+ / 0-)
    Got a Grip

because of an e-mail or Facebook or Twitter alert.  The question is how to distinguish between diaries going R2R (should there be a new term for it now?) because they are great diaries versus ones that go because they are prominent.

Yes, you guys do have great taste -- I'm not sure I've ever seen a rescued (or spotlit) diary that I didn't appreciate reading.  But don't you think that even theoretically it could be possible to have too much influence -- like if the Rec List were composed only of diaries that had first been Spotlighted?

If you don't think that there could ever be too much influence, then we just disagree.  If you agree that somewhere there would be a negative return on additional influence, then the question is just where we draw the line.

My bottom line is that I want as many meritorious and popular diaries as possible to be as visible as possible.  It's only the simultaneous appearance of currently Spotlit diaries on the Rec List that has made me think that we're not maximizing that.  If they did wait for Rec List consideration until they scrolled off of the top bar, then I agree that that would be better than my initial suggestion.

Unplug the Koch machine! It's swallowing people's money!

by Seneca Doane on Wed Feb 23, 2011 at 11:12:24 PM PST

•  I think we are going to have to agree to disagree (2+ / 0-)
      vcmvo2, Seneca Doane

at least up to a point.  As we discussed earlier, I think the idea that a diary doesn't go from the box to the rec list until it scrolls out of the box has merit.  It keeps both lists from being redundant if nothing else.  Where we disagree is on capping the number that could go on the list.  The rec list is calculated to the most extent by the number of recs and comments a diary gets, and when others with more of that weight come along then others get bumped off.  That's as fair as it gets.  So if there's lots of recs and comments for a diary in the CS that weights it more than others on the rec list, then it should go to that list.  But holding that off a bit by allowing a diary in the CS box to only go to the rec list once it passes out of the CS box to subsequent pages is fair, I think.  If, at that time, it still has enough weight to rest on the rec list then it's on its own at that point.

As to R2R being a new terminology, it's been common terminology in the ranger lexicon for years now.  In a group doing what we do you find you have quite a bit of terminology that finds it's way into the common language of that group.

For instance, when we had the nightly post on the front page, the posting function for that was known as "the Shredder," as the posting function for the FP was decidedly picky and prone to taking your carefully crafted coding and spitting it back in your face.  We have quite a few terms like that, things that apply to what we do.

We've recently added a new one to our lexicon - BQD, or Blank Queue of Death.  When we're faced with a dearth of well-written diaries to keep the CS box rolling along.  As with everything, good writing can be a feast or famine situation, some days are full of great diaries, others are a dry as a desert.  So when you're staring at an empty queue and there are slim hopes of having anything come along to keep things rolling, you're faced with BQD, or the Blank Queue of Death.  The mere mention of BQD sends a shiver down the spines of a dedicated ranger.  ;-)

One of these days I'll have to write a diary on the ranger lexicon.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway

by Got a Grip on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 08:08:22 AM PST

•  Also, SD, (1+ / 0-)
      Seneca Doane

if you could provide me a link to the comment you've mentioned about holding diaries from the actual rec list until they scroll out of the box I'd appreciate it.  I gave a cursory look for it a couple of times but I can't find what you're talking about and I'm too swamped with the work involved in getting CS running smoothly to give a thorough search.  So if you could give me a link to that comment I'd be very grateful.

by Got a Grip on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 10:20:00 AM PST

•  Happy to do so (1+ / 0-)
        Got a Grip

It came from Alfonso Nevarez, here.  It makes enough sense to me that I happily withdraw the "capping" idea -- and I appreciate your constructive dialogue on this.  I hope it's clear that it's nothing against you or the Rangers; it's a Federalist Papers "this is a government of laws not men" sort of observation that the system should be designed not only to work with enlightened people running it but also to protect against the possibility that someday less enlightened people may be at the helm.

Here's an unsolicited suggestion for the "BQD" problem you mention above.  Some days you must have a surplus of eligible diaries, no?  Have you considered keeping a cache of those so that, as and if needed, you can go back a few days for one of the ones where the timeliness hasn't expired?  I don't think anyone would complain!

Unplug the Koch machine! It's swallowing people's money!

by Seneca Doane on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 11:21:20 AM PST

•  We've been getting on top of the BQD issue. (0+ / 0-)

We're learning to adjust our posting times according to what flow we're getting.  This is all new to us, a great difference from the old way of putting out a nightly rescue that encompasses the entire day with a limit on what we can save as opposed to no limit but still adhering strictly to our criteria.  So it's taken a few days to adjust, but we're getting there.  Most days we don't have this problem, there are lots of good writers out there banging away in obscurity.  And I actually expect the flow to pick up as people start to adapt to the new tools and embrace having the option to post more than once a day.  So time will tell, but we're not nearly as panicked about BQD as we were in those first few days.

by Got a Grip on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 11:35:52 AM PST

•  Oh! And thanks for the link. (1+ / 0-)
          Seneca Doane

I appreciate the help.  I've enjoyed the discussion, as well.  ;-)

by Got a Grip on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 11:37:02 AM PST