View Diary: The Very Subjective Line Of "Objectionable" Entertainment (33 comments)

•  Woody Allen . . . (3+ / 0-)
    Rimjob, Neon Vincent, CMYK

I remember watching one of his films on DVD a few years ago from the late 80s -- early 90s (think it might have been Crimes and Misdemeanors or Husbands and Wives).  There's a scene where Woody Allen plays an uncle who takes his young tween niece to galleries and movies.  He raves about her.

Seeing that I couldn't help but wonder: Was this some kind of Soon-Yi proxy?

If I hadn't known anything about Allen's personal life, I wouldn't have thought about the detail with reference to anything outside the movie.

Woody Allen is a bit of a tough one, because he plays a character in his own movies, so it's a little harder to view Allen the character without reference to Allen the biographical figure.

With most films, if I know some details about the director, or the writers, its hard not to watch the material without any reference to the creator.   It's not something that gets in the way of my appreciation of the film -- I'd say it's more another layer of the experience (e.g. Did Polanski draw on his own experience in his treatment of the Prime Minister character in Ghost Writer? ).

To some degree I'm able to compartmentalize when it comes to my appreciation of art.   It's the same way with watching sports -- or even with politicians (e.g. I don't see Bill Clinton's life as being entirely relevant to his work as a president).   It's easier to cheer for players or artists who aren't total douche-bags in their private lives, but in terms of art appreciation, the douche-bag factor doesn't usually get in the way.

•  Yep, Woody Allen. (2+ / 0-)
      esquimaux, NotGeorgeWill

His classics are still classics to me and I love them, despite his ridiculously messy (and worse) personal life.

Roman Polanski has never moved me as a person or an artist, so I have no trouble avoiding both him and his work.

I'm not comfortable compartmentalizing my appreciation of art, however I've noticed some slipperiness where my appreciation for the art predates my awareness of the artist's ickiness. So Woody Allen gets a pass, Roman Polanski does not.

And then there are the exceptions, and the vast amount of art I appreciate without knowing a lick about the artist or genesis of the thing. So there ya go.

walk like an Egyptian

by CMYK on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 12:46:18 AM PST

•  Roman Polanski directed (3+ / 0-)
        LynneK, NotGeorgeWill, tardis10

a version of Macbeth that blew me away when I first saw it & still does.  For that alone, I'd call him brilliant.  Flawed in his personal life, yes, but that doesn't make him any less brilliant as a director.

Over the past 30-odd years, the Democrats have moved to the right, and the Republicans have moved into a mental hospital. --Bill Maher

by Youffraita on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 01:01:35 AM PST

•  His brilliance is wasted on me. :) (0+ / 0-)

I don't care for his direction. A bit ham-handed, IMO (what we used to call in film school: the 2x4 effect).

walk like an Egyptian

by CMYK on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 12:17:57 PM PST

•  Are you familiar with his early work? (3+ / 0-)
            NotGeorgeWill, Youffraita, CMYK

Knife in the Water is pretty exceptional, and for the most part extremely low-key, yet creepy, suspenseful, and effective all the same.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 03:31:24 PM PST

•  Yes, some of his early work, (1+ / 0-)
              pico

although not Knife. It sounds good, I'll have to check that out. I loved Chinatown, it's a great film. (Tess too, imo). But others I've seen (his apartment trilogy, for example), not so much.

I get that he's considered a genius filmmaker. For good reason, I'm sure. I don't hate Roman Polanski, I just don't care for his directorial style in most cases (so far). It has little to do with his private life, although that doesn't help.

walk like an Egyptian

by CMYK on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 05:54:54 PM PST

•  Nah, I hear you on this (1+ / 0-)
                CMYK

And he's got his fair share of clunkers, too.  Polarizing figure, has handled his legal case poorly and I get that people dislike him both for personal reasons and aesthetic ones.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce