View Diary: WI Protesters Sing National Anthem Spontaneously (118 comments)

•  Too late but thanks! (7+ / 0-)

I got up Tuesday morning, got ready for work, worked all night until 9 a.m. Wednesday, went to the Capitol all day. Attended my work meetings Thursday, went out again. Couldn't move on Friday, so I went out today.

It's cold out there. I'm supposed to go tomorrow after church, but the weather is supposed to be awful and mr bh is driving home from 250 miles north in what could well be blizzard and ice conditions.

As much as it wears one out, the activity is also heartening. The many people there are in great spirits, energized and positive even tho we suspect that this part won't get won. But I see that as a short-haul challenge. We'll win the long haul. People are ticked. And we know the world is watching, not to mention that we know we're only the beginning of the assault. I think they tried it here because they thought folks would roll over, even more proof of their ignorance!

But there's no way someone who has spent time in Madison will roll over when bullied with the National Guard (nothing against the National Guard, BTW. I have 2 nephews who are honorable Guardsmen). But there's a history that a prudent person would take into account.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. -- Sir Winston Churchill

by bleeding heart on Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 09:49:34 PM PST

•  You rock, bh. (6+ / 0-)

Thanks for reporting.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
      (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 08:08:07 AM PST

•  "...only the beginning of the assault." (5+ / 0-)

That is both chilling and exciting. This has begun the real grass roots movement we so desperately need and it represents not only those in unions, but those who might have been ambivalent before, and that, sadly, includes me.

I've learned more since this began about the history and contributions of unions and the life and death importance of keeping unions alive than I've ever known before.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 11:28:28 AM PST

•  WI has a long (5+ / 0-)

and some bitter union history. WI, unlike many assume, is known for being a progressive state. That's why messing with unions is a hot button issue here. Even school districts in the northern boonies of the state were closed because teachers took off for Madison.

The bill may well get shoved through. However, that will be far from the end, far from the end. So, if diaries start appearing that "WI caved" don't believe it.

It's chilling because we know (and we all said before, during and after every event) that this is only the beginning. We also understand that things could get worse. Everyone -- on the liberal side, at least -- wants things to be peaceful, but I have a side bet placed that walker will try to provoke something.

I say that because I feel and see the setup in the press that supports walker. For example, today's paper said [paraphrased] "things remained peaceful due to large police presence." walker is also using words like "riot" and "uncontrolled."

That's blatantly false. The people wanted peace. Among the many signs were regular appeals for "Tea Partiers: please keep this peaceful. We have our children here."

But the setup is there. I love to be wrong in these instances so let's hope I am!

by bleeding heart on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 01:08:36 PM PST

•  when we look back on this (6+ / 0-)

I think we will remember comments prior to the protest of "we need our own tea party"....when many of us at DKos were trying to figure out how to start a progressive grass roots movement.  Ha!  Little did we know what was coming.

Well, your gov. figured out how to do it.  This isn't a "manufactured" grassroots uprising, it's the real deal.
          His legacy may very well be that he was the turning point for when Americans did rise up and take their country back.

The Michigan gov. has now said that he would not try to mess w/the unions and would make every attempt to work with them.

It's coming, you can just feel it in the air!

Oh how I wish I could be there!

What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?

by Julie Gulden on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 01:56:54 PM PST

•  I hope you saw this diary (5+ / 0-)

View from Madison. Hardly a riot. I hope you are wrong about provoking things.

I know this to be a fact:

Everyone in Wisconsin knows someone who is a state worker. Walker and Koch trying to turn them into villains will not work.

Wisconsin governors  used to shoot strikers.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
          (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 02:30:43 PM PST

•  I've been downtown most (6+ / 0-)

days this week. It most definitely was  not a riot, but that's what the nutters are saying. Remember WI State Journal lede: STATE OF CHAOS!!!!!
            A literally boldfaced lie.

What I want (no violence) and what I think could well happen (some altercations) is, to me, a reality we have to accept and be prepared for, have our plan in case something breaks out. If it doesn't escalate, great.

But I've been in Madison for years, have seen provocation, deliberate provocation and have been a victim of random violence by police myself and I'm a committed pacifist, with my lawbreaking limited to sometimes jaywalking and driving 5-7 miles over the speed limit on the interstate.

I also witnessed some teabagger/one of us jawboning on Saturday. They would have escalated had others not intervened. And the word on the street was that some (not all) of the baggers were there with the intention to engage and create a ruckus. Didn't happen, fortunately.

by bleeding heart on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 04:48:39 PM PST

•  Today's WI State Journal (3+ / 0-)

showed an equal number of pro-Walker signs and anti-Walker signs. As though they were equally visible.

I'm sure they had to go looking for the pro-Walker signs. And they were all pretty ugly. The tea party hates working people ... why is that?

My favorite sign was "Let the republicans plow the snow tomorrow". Ha. Yes. And send them to the sewage treatment plants. I want clean water.

I actually expected a bit of a ruckus because of the college students. Their youth sometimes leads them to react rather than think about how their actions will look.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
              (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 05:56:56 PM PST

•  Well, it is the State Journal (3+ / 0-)
                Julie Gulden, JanF, princesspat

after all. Can't expect journalism out of a bird cage liner. Showing an equal number of signs means that they had to look really hard to be "fair and balanced." I hate to tell them about basic math, but 2,000 folks can't carry as many signs as 70,000 folks.

Details, details... why should a newspaper have to worry about silly stuff like that?

by bleeding heart on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 07:04:34 PM PST

•  bh, this is just an idea (2+ / 0-)
                  JanF, bleeding heart

you have said so many important things here, perhaps you should consider doing a diary of this thread.
                  Just post it as is.

It would be a bit unusual but it is a fascinating discussion....and everything else is new and different, take it to another level.

Just a thought.

What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?

by Julie Gulden on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 09:36:02 PM PST

•  Hmmm, interesting thought. (1+ / 0-)
                    Julie Gulden

I reviewed the thread. It is interesting, but the topics change sort of dynamically. I'm trying to organize how it could work in my head, but right now, my head isn't working! (just had a dentist app't).

If you have ideas of issues to highlight that haven't been mentioned elsewhere, let me know. In the meantime, I'll try to defog myself!

by bleeding heart on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 10:33:21 AM PST

•  I noticed that they got more right-wing (2+ / 0-)
                  Julie Gulden, bleeding heart

after I renewed my subscription. Grrr.

If there was another place to get sports information that did not involve a computer, I would drop them in a minute.

I wrote an LTE about the foolish idea that eliminating collective bargaining gives you the "tools" to balance the budget. In Texas ($47 billion deficit) and Virginia ($4.2 billion deficit) it is illegal for state employees to have collective bargaining. North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia are the  other 3 . All with shortfalls.

The only tools here are Scott Walker right-wing tool of Koch Industries and Wisconsin State Journal, right-wing tool of Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
                  (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 02:53:56 AM PST

•  I've also had that sense, bh... (3+ / 0-)

Nothing would reinforce the union stereotype more than rioting and violence and Walker telegraphed his intent from the beginning by threatening to call in the National Guard.

My guess is that the Koch Baggers were instructed to provoke, but it appears that they were so few in number and probably intimidated by the size of the crowd.

It's obvious that people are taping events and that is the best proof of what transpires.

The 'police presence' also includes those who are participating in the protest, so that is insurance against being set up.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 03:44:32 PM PST

•  You are not the only one learning btw (5+ / 0-)

This guy is thankful for Walker:

Wisconsin based labor organizer Andy Gussert told me the other day, “Thank you Scott Walker! If we were given a million dollars, there is no way we could have taught so many kids about solidarity, labor organizing, and the power of the people when they unite”.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
        (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 02:36:52 PM PST

• Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Politics (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Police (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site