View Diary: WI Protesters Sing National Anthem Spontaneously (118 comments)

•  I hope you saw this diary (5+ / 0-)

View from Madison. Hardly a riot. I hope you are wrong about provoking things.

I know this to be a fact:

Even school districts in the northern boonies of the state were closed because teachers took off for Madison.

Everyone in Wisconsin knows someone who is a state worker. Walker and Koch trying to turn them into villains will not work.

Wisconsin governors  used to shoot strikers.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
    (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 02:30:43 PM PST

•  I've been downtown most (6+ / 0-)

days this week. It most definitely was  not a riot, but that's what the nutters are saying. Remember WI State Journal lede: STATE OF CHAOS!!!!!
      A literally boldfaced lie.

What I want (no violence) and what I think could well happen (some altercations) is, to me, a reality we have to accept and be prepared for, have our plan in case something breaks out. If it doesn't escalate, great.

But I've been in Madison for years, have seen provocation, deliberate provocation and have been a victim of random violence by police myself and I'm a committed pacifist, with my lawbreaking limited to sometimes jaywalking and driving 5-7 miles over the speed limit on the interstate.

I also witnessed some teabagger/one of us jawboning on Saturday. They would have escalated had others not intervened. And the word on the street was that some (not all) of the baggers were there with the intention to engage and create a ruckus. Didn't happen, fortunately.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. -- Sir Winston Churchill

by bleeding heart on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 04:48:39 PM PST

•  Today's WI State Journal (3+ / 0-)

showed an equal number of pro-Walker signs and anti-Walker signs. As though they were equally visible.

I'm sure they had to go looking for the pro-Walker signs. And they were all pretty ugly. The tea party hates working people ... why is that?

My favorite sign was "Let the republicans plow the snow tomorrow". Ha. Yes. And send them to the sewage treatment plants. I want clean water.

I actually expected a bit of a ruckus because of the college students. Their youth sometimes leads them to react rather than think about how their actions will look.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
        (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 05:56:56 PM PST

•  Well, it is the State Journal (3+ / 0-)
          Julie Gulden, JanF, princesspat

after all. Can't expect journalism out of a bird cage liner. Showing an equal number of signs means that they had to look really hard to be "fair and balanced." I hate to tell them about basic math, but 2,000 folks can't carry as many signs as 70,000 folks.

Details, details... why should a newspaper have to worry about silly stuff like that?

by bleeding heart on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 07:04:34 PM PST

•  bh, this is just an idea (2+ / 0-)
            JanF, bleeding heart

you have said so many important things here, perhaps you should consider doing a diary of this thread.
            Just post it as is.

It would be a bit unusual but it is a fascinating discussion....and everything else is new and different, take it to another level.

Just a thought.

What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?

by Julie Gulden on Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 09:36:02 PM PST

•  Hmmm, interesting thought. (1+ / 0-)
              Julie Gulden

I reviewed the thread. It is interesting, but the topics change sort of dynamically. I'm trying to organize how it could work in my head, but right now, my head isn't working! (just had a dentist app't).

If you have ideas of issues to highlight that haven't been mentioned elsewhere, let me know. In the meantime, I'll try to defog myself!

by bleeding heart on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 10:33:21 AM PST

•  I noticed that they got more right-wing (2+ / 0-)
            Julie Gulden, bleeding heart

after I renewed my subscription. Grrr.

If there was another place to get sports information that did not involve a computer, I would drop them in a minute.

I wrote an LTE about the foolish idea that eliminating collective bargaining gives you the "tools" to balance the budget. In Texas ($47 billion deficit) and Virginia ($4.2 billion deficit) it is illegal for state employees to have collective bargaining. North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia are the  other 3 . All with shortfalls.

The only tools here are Scott Walker right-wing tool of Koch Industries and Wisconsin State Journal, right-wing tool of Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
            (and blogging at BPI Campus)

by JanF on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 02:53:56 AM PST