View Diary: I have a headache in my eye (27 comments)

•  The leaders of the public employee (9+ / 0-)

unions conceded early last week on the health insurance and pension contribution increases.  They asked ONLY to keep the right to collectively bargain and Walker said NO.

As Ed G said above me, this fight is solely about public employee unions retaining the right to bargain.  The governor is being unreasonable.  Public employees in WI have had the right to be represented by a union and bargain collectively since 1959.

The public employee union leaders tried to meet with Gov. Walker SIX times following his taking over.  He refuses to meet with them face to face and have NEVER met with them individually OR as a group.  He says he's "not comfortable" doing so.  Jesus Christ!  What does he think they're going to do?  Smack him around?!  Instead of being a man and meeting with these people face to face, he runs to the media where he holds interviews or press conferences.   Odd--he's not afraid of the media but he "isn't comfortable" speaking with ordinary human beings who happen to lead unions.

In addition, Walker was soundly criticized by the Milwaukee media when he was Milwaukee County Exec. because he gave favorable treatment via salary AND benefits to certain individuals who worked for him.  In one instance I'm aware of, a 12 1/2% raise when NO ONE was getting that kind of "gift" elsewhere in the state.

He handed out millions of dollars in tax cuts and other preferential treatment to BUSINESSES that supported his campaign and I heard today that he is likely to "forgive" over $1 BILLION in taxes due to the State of WI by businesses.

That's just a few things I can come up with right off the top of my head.

If the people stay united, they cannot be defeated. Solidarity!

by 3goldens on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 05:50:02 PM PST

•  PS Make him source every "data" or (3+ / 0-)
      pHunbalanced, TigerMom, tobendaro

"fact" he gives you unless you know that he's being accurate.  A LOT of people are repeating disinformation that is spread sometimes inadvertently and some of it is deliberate in order to confuse people.  People can't get away with spouting opinions that are based on nothing but the rantings of people like Limbaugh, etc.

If the people stay united, they cannot be defeated. Solidarity!

by 3goldens on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 05:53:43 PM PST

•  3goldens (1+ / 0-)
      JamieG from Md

Would you please provide links for your info?  Unfortunately, as a mom of two young boys, I don't necessarily have the leisure of spending time with the Google.  Right now, I'm responding between the pasta cooking and draining it.  ;-)

Thanks.

I am the real TigerMom. My UID proves it! That poser is sullying my good name!

by TigerMom on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 05:59:30 PM PST

•  I'm so sorry, TigerMom (1+ / 0-)
        TigerMom

I just saw this comment from you.  I left the blog for a bit because I had some household chores to do.  I do not have a list of specific links for the items I listed to you, however, I live in WI (born and raised here and I'm now in my 60s), and I live near Madison.  My husband was a teacher here for 32 years (now retired); my mother was a secretary at the UW-Madison in the office of the Secretary of the Board of Regents for 22 years; I, myself, taught for 7 years on the high school level and I have a sister who taught in an elementary school near Milwaukee for 15 years.  My father was employed by the City of Madison for 40 years.  Oh--and my oldest sister was a Program Assistant for approximately 20 years at the UW Memorial Union Theater.  So I'm pretty familiar with public employment in the State of WI.

Again, I'm really sorry I didn't see this earlier.  I have been pulling information daily in from websites like the South-Central Federation of Labor (in WI); the SEIU local website for Madison; the WEAC (Wis. Education Association Council); from this blog; and from watching/listening to Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller, and Thom Hartmann.  I don't have a compiled list of those links--things have been on the fly in Madison and we're all pitching in to help those on the front lines of this fight so I'm reading and grabbing info literally on the run.

If the people stay united, they cannot be defeated. Solidarity!

by 3goldens on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 07:28:37 PM PST

•  Here is one link I found quickly (1+ / 0-)
        TigerMom

that I've referred to at times in talking with others.  It's from the website of Paul Soglin who is a former mayor of Madison and who is now running again for mayor after being out of politics for several years.  This is from his blog, Waxing America and is titled   What Scott Walker Does Not Say About Public Employees.

If the people stay united, they cannot be defeated. Solidarity!

by 3goldens on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 07:41:20 PM PST

•  And here is another perfect (1+ / 0-)
        TigerMom

set of information that just hit the diary list a few minutes ago.  Here's your  link.  This diary should answer a LOT of your need for things to strengthen your argument.

If the people stay united, they cannot be defeated. Solidarity!

by 3goldens on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 07:45:59 PM PST

•  Facts are facts (3+ / 0-)
      pHunbalanced, 3goldens, TigerMom

They mean nothing to the true believers.

And she's good at appearing sane, I just want you to know. Winwood/Capaldi

by tobendaro on Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 06:36:45 PM PST

•  This is worth a diary (1+ / 0-)
      TigerMom