Skip to main content

View Diary: AFL-CIO poll: Scott Walker overreaching in WI, respondents side with unions (88 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Please Read Carefully (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    cdreid, Question Authority

    I'm asking you for reasons why you believe something.  You aren't providing any beyond you choose not to believe the union line (why not?) and the truth must be in the middle somewhere.  Critical thinkers have reasons for what they believe based on logic and evidence.  If you don't have any good reasons for what you believe, then really, I think enough said.

    People rarely read the comments at the bottom of a thread.

    by stewarjt on Tue Feb 22, 2011 at 07:54:33 AM PST

    [ Parent ]

    •  maybe you should read carefully (0+ / 0-)

      and realize that unionized labor makes up less than 15% of the total American workforce - and that the remaining 85% aren't really that sympathetic to them anymore - especially in the public sector.

      your determination of what a "good reason" for my beliefs is hilarious - though i'm sure you're the arbiter for everything union, you are not me.

      "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." -John Adams

      by rcnewton on Tue Feb 22, 2011 at 08:03:22 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

      •  I hate to dogpile (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:

        But newton, what you're committing is called a golden mean fallacy. The truth is not necessarily the average of all stated beliefs.

        And yes, it's statistically true that public sector workers make less than their private sector counterparts when adjusted for education. This is also including the storied benefits of public sector workers, which aren't that great anyhow.

        I will agree that public sector unions introduce some measure of rigidity into state budgets, but HR costs will always be high for states, and we should rightly be trying to draw people into the public sector (particularly teachers) so I see nothing wrong with public sector unions trying to negotiate higher benefits for their members. That is their stated purpose, n'est pas?

        As far as whether Americans are unsympathetic or not, it's a question of getting the relevant facts out there. Our friends on the right have created a convenient and emotionally satisfying narrative for voters.

        "Those union fat cats make more than you do! And they take your money!"

        It's not strictly true, but it's effective, as you've proven.

        •  so you agree? (0+ / 0-)

          but feel the need to be a douche about it regardless? go you.

          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." -John Adams

          by rcnewton on Tue Feb 22, 2011 at 11:10:49 AM PST

          [ Parent ]

          •  Agree with what? (0+ / 0-)

            Respectfully, you've yet to make any points other than reveal a type of antipathy for teachers, which you believe earn disproportionately high wages. Oh and some vague references to the differences between public and private sector unions.

            I do actually agree, they are different and we should certainly guard against undue public sector union influence. However, at this point they're a counterweight to corporate influence, which is always good, and they fight for relatively underpaid public sector workers, which is good for improving the quality of services and thus drawing in investment and encouraging economic growth. Might there be a justification for differing regulations on public sector and private sector unions in the future? Possibly. For now, keeping them is a win-win scenario.

            Other than that, I'm vaguely amused, since I thought my post was basically a mild correction of some factual errors which you've made.

            I'd also advise you to take a chill pill, dude. Or whatever delightful couplet for 'calm down' you prefer. I disagree with you. No need to be so snippy about it.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site