View Diary: Bipartisan duo sues Florida Gov. Scott over rejection of federal high-speed rail money (129 comments)

•  I'm not sure he made a mistake (4+ / 0-)

What I've noticed about these Greedy One Percenter politicians is that they actually DO want federal money--from the stimulus, and from projects like these--they just don't want to SEEM like they do, so they can tell their corporate masters that they've been good boys and girls.

I would not be surprised if Scott actually worked this game up with the folks litigating against him, so Florida gets the jobs AND he gets enough Tea Party creds to get his pricey Koch fix.

If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people. --Tony Benn

by rhetoricus on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 04:01:58 PM PST

•  PS sorry if I jumped the jar (0+ / 0-)

Isn't the Tip Jar sposed to be automatic?

by rhetoricus on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 04:02:46 PM PST

•  Kind of cynical... (0+ / 0-)

I guess time will tell.

•  Excellent point... (3+ / 0-)
      rhetoricus, donnamarie, TofG

And they don't even think anyone will figure it out when they're having their picture taken in front of a medical center built with Federal money...

Garrhgsfsafasd! or...where the heck is Lieber?

by Hedwig on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 04:08:12 PM PST

•  Oh, there's no doubt they want money, but (2+ / 0-)
      Odysseus, donnamarie

they want to determine how it's spent.  In a rail project, a high percentage would go to wealthy Floridians for land acquisition, but some would slip through the cracks and end up in the hands of workers, even UNION workers.

A question I have is this:  how can we maximize the national media coverage this idiot gets for screwing workers in his own state?  Every middle class Republican needs to see the pattern.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal

by RJDixon74135 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 04:46:52 PM PST

•  Land acquisition (3+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, SLKRR, Eric Nelson

For clarification, the right of way for the Orlando/Tampa leg is already owned by the state.  HSR would run right down the median on I-4.  No need to purchase any land.

I think the same may be true of the Orlando/Miami run but I am guessing the situation is the same.  Florida has been working on HSR for 20 years.  We are truly a 'shovel-ready' project that could be a shining example to the rest of the country.

"make sure to put me back in the bed! I don't want to be on the ceiling!"

by donnamarie on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 05:03:46 PM PST

•  That's good to know, donnamarie, (2+ / 0-)
          donnamarie, Eric Nelson

I stand corrected. Thank you very much.

In many situations, repairing old infrastructure has resulted in more jobs on a dollar for dollar basis than building new because in the latter so much of the money has to go for land acquisition.

For the sake of Florida (one of my favorite places to visit), I hope this clown is the last Republican governor to be elected there.

by RJDixon74135 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 07:20:01 PM PST

•  Also will foil oil interests (0+ / 0-)

Rail means fewer people will be driving.

by rhetoricus on Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 08:07:22 PM PST