View Diary: Wolcott on the Beautiful Keller-Jarvis Friendship (76 comments)

•  No offense Armando (none)
    But who died and made you gatekeeper of the Left?

As for my research, I read Jarvis' blog on a daily basis and I've followed his career as its weaved in and out of the MSM.  He may take some irritating positions from time to time, such as defending the pro-occupation Iraqi bloggers to the point of accusing other pundits of blood libel, but one contrarian political stance does not a conservative make.

But why not let the man speak for himself:

: I voted for John Kerry, though reluctantly.
    : I voted for Bill Clinton, eagerly.
    : I am dying to vote for Hillary Clinton.
    : I vote Democratic in local races in my corner of New Jersey, when they have the guts to run.
    : I am pro-choice.
    : I opposed the Bush tax cuts.
    : I am against school vouchers.
    : I am for gay marriage and quit the Presbyterian Church over its bigotry against gays.
    : I am for universal health care.
    : I fight for free speech in America and elsewhere.
    : I wrote a cover story for The Nation.

Yeah, he's a regular Zell Miller.

•  As a Media Gadfly (none)
      he is right wing.

So I stand by my statement.

His coverage of the Media is Right Wing. The funny thing is he can't point to his coverage so he must explain his politics. Very telling.

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 11:11:06 AM PST

•  Huh (none)
        So he's a liberal right-wing media gadfly?  Now you're just making my head hurt.

Again, I see those other conservative media critics just lining up to lambast the FCC and file FOIA requests on behalf of the entertainment industry...

C'mon, Armando.

•  You and he say he is liberal (none)
          All I say is he is a Right Wing Media Gadfly.

You are too cute by half for me to take you seriously on htis. You know what I mean and choose to willfully misunderstand.  Have your fun, people know what I mean.

Your new project - rehabilitating Mickey Kaus.

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 03:27:16 PM PST

•  Back at you (none)
            No, I don't know what you mean.  You have constructed a nifty straw man that you've labelled Jeff Jarvis and demolished with glee, but it bears little resemblance to the real individual, who whether you believe it or not does more good than harm for the liberal cause.

I can't for the life of me understand why it's so important for you to make your "right-wing" label stick, when clearly it was an overreach.  Is it so hard to admit you may have gotten a little carried away with tarring and feathering?

Even Jarvis knows when to print a retraction.

•  You're the only liberal I know (none)
              that thinks this. Are we all crazy and you the one sane liberal left?

Do you really believe that?

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 10:08:32 PM PST

•  Please (none)
                I really doubt I'm the only liberal blogger who thinks Jarvis is getting unfairly tagged here.  Even if I were, though, it wouldn't change my opinion (should it?).
                •  Should it? (none)
                  I suppose not, if you feel you are right. I consider it circumstantial evidence though. And I really don't know of any liberal save you who feel as you do.

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sun Feb 27, 2005 at 04:55:16 PM PST

•  I'll retract it (none)
              if you can show me that my conclusions are wrong. I've read his blog, and after the complaint form him, reread his blog for 2004.

I think, no, I am sure, that my view is sound.

Case in point, he thinks Keller is liberal. Do you think that too?

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 10:10:01 PM PST

•  I'll say this (none)
                Keller isn't "right-wing" - and neither is Jarvis, for that matter.  I'd call the editorial bent of the present NYT corporatist, not conservative.  There's a huge difference there.

I also went back and re-read Jarvis' blog as well  Going through January 2005 I counted about a quarter of his total posts criticizing the Left and Lefty blogs.  The vast majority of his blogging last month didn't even involve politics, which is remarkable considering that the Iraqi elections were a recurring theme.

He had something on the order of 50 posts going after Michael Powell and the FCC, however.  Does that count for nothing on your liberal scorecard?  If you can find someone else out there in the blogosphere who has been going to bat for the First Amendment as consistently as Jarvis has - both in word and deed - I'm all ears.

I'm not saying the man doesn't have his problems - e.g., "Professor Pondscum" and his silly blood feud with Eric Alterman - but when it all comes down to it do you actually want to practice the politics of exclusion when our side couldn't muster the votes to win the last election fair and square?

•  Puhleaze (none)
                  Who can I exclude. My opinion is that Jarvis covers the Media from a Right Wing perspective.

Look, the guy thinks being compared to Kaus is a favorable comparison. How much more do you need to know?

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sun Feb 27, 2005 at 04:54:00 PM PST

•  Kaus (none)
                    I'm not defending the man's sanity, just his right not to be lumped in with people truly deserving of the epithet "right-wing".
                    •  Splitting hairs (none)
                      Well, Kaus sits where you think? He certainly isn't a centrist. At least by my lights.

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Sun Feb 27, 2005 at 06:20:59 PM PST

•  Where Kaus sits (none)
                        Kaus has over the years grown a little too slick and oily for my tastes, but I wouldn't call him right-wing either.  Clearly he's sold his soul, but in my book he still has a long way to fall before he ends up in the enemy's camp.

I guess maybe I'm just not as "Left" as you are, Armando.  Better tear up the union card and cancel my suscription to The Nation, eh?