View Diary: U.S. Supreme Court protects Westboro's right to obnoxious speech (213 comments)

•  Excellent point. (0+ / 0-)

It's not really a "church," and it doesn't even really fit the definitions for "cult."  It's a slick little criminal conspiracy.

And it wasn't really "speech" about public events, it was just an attempt to provoke and outrage, in order to further the scam.

The Supreme Court is dead wrong on this case.

It is a calling...to do things about injustice.... It helps to have a goal. I've always tried to have one.--Ted Kennedy, True Compass

by Timaeus on Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:19:47 AM PST

•  Speech is speech, regardless of motive. (1+ / 0-)
      Loge

You think the courts should scrutinize the motives for speech? They'd end up shutting down Code Pink by saying they're just camera hogs.

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” ― Emma Goldman

by Code Monkey on Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:42:16 AM PST

•  Please clarify the distinction (0+ / 0-)

between "speech about public events" and "speech to provoke and outrage," when public issues and events are explicitly mentioned.

"This world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind[.]" -- Robert F. Kennedy

by Loge on Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:32:39 AM PST

•  Res ipsa loquitur. (0+ / 0-)

by Timaeus on Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 12:18:51 PM PST

•  That's a terrible way to balance speech rights (0+ / 0-)

by relying on a legal doctrine that excuses the obligation to explain.  For cases like this, the law should require more than circular reasoning.

by Loge on Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 12:25:07 PM PST

•  Oh good grief, I'm not writing a legal brief (0+ / 0-)

here, I'm just idly blogging while goofing off at work.

I'm not sure how formally to make the argument--which is obviously a loser argument in today's judicial climate--but it seems obvious to me that the Phelps gang is not sincerely trying to speak out about public events.

by Timaeus on Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 12:31:25 PM PST