View Diary: The Public: Yes to union givebacks, no to the end of collective bargaining (99 comments)

•  Yeah when all the Hedge Fund Managers that live (6+ / 0-)

in Connecticut actually start paying more than 15% as capitol gains taxes for their income... you will have a point.

CT Gov +1

Only 49 States to go.

So, I counter "your counter" call of bullshit and say that not all of America is Connecticut.

This is a crisis I knew had to come, Destroying the balance I'd kept. Doubting, unsettling and turning around, Wondering what will come next.
    --Ian Curtis

by jethrock on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:04:59 PM PST

•  too bad it isn;'t (0+ / 0-)

but hey, you gonna rail at the sun rising tomorrow every day? it's still gonna rise.

But there's CA (a fifth of the country), IL, HI and a handful of others (not just CT). of course, they have D governors.

The brave ones are governors such as Jerry Brown in California, Dan Malloy in Connecticut, Pat Quinn in Illinois, Mark Dayton in Minnesota and Neil Abercrombie in Hawaii. They are declaring that you have to cut programs, even when your own side likes them, and raise taxes, which nobody likes much at all. Rhode Island's Lincoln Chafee has warned of possible tax increases too.

Indeed, to the extent that Quinn received any national press coverage, he got pilloried in conservative outlets in January when he signed tax hikes that included a temporary increase in Illinois' individual income tax rate from 3 percent to 5 percent.

Despite all the commotion around whether the federal government will shut down, the clamor in the states may be even more important than what's happening in Washington, which is missing in action on the moment's most vital fiscal question.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:13:06 PM PST

•  Wow You're starting to sound more like a Neolib (1+ / 0-)
        skyounkin

everyday.

That almost sounds like "pull yourself up from your bootstraps"

Unfortunately too many folks can't. And for many folks tomorrow looks darker than today.

I imagine that the teachers who are facing a pink slip or significant pay cut don't see a bright and sunny tomorrow.

--Ian Curtis

by jethrock on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:29:09 PM PST

•  I think it sucks (1+ / 0-)
          missliberties

but then again, you seem to falsely accuse me of advocating it or liking it. That's something you've made up in your head. That's your problem, not mine.

Acknowledging reality is what reality-based communities do.  The current situation is not good.   A sucky economy and a loss in an election will do that. OTOH, budgets will have to be balanced. I advocate doing it without pink slips, but I don't make the rules

Or do you want to pretend none of that is true? What use is that?

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:56:35 PM PST

•  Writing that "everyone has to sacrifice" is not (1+ / 0-)
            skyounkin

reality based.

If collective bargaining is kept intact but the rest of Walkers agenda in his his bill is enacted... we still lose.

The fact is everyone is not sacrificing. I live in New York. I used to work on Wall Street as an Assets Manager. I know some of the hedge fund mangers I referred to earlier.

Hell, one of them is a friend and flying me and my girlfriend out to Coachella next month. (We work in the biz so we're providing the VIP tickets and backstage passes.)

So many of the guys can't go to Flashdancers as much as they used to. Maybe they have to think twice before buying that third Rolex.

But please... don't pretend that you towing the Democratic line recently is "reality based"

It's totally fucking transparent... and you have bought into much of the same false meme that many in our party have.

Come back to me when the federal budget decreases defense contracting and invests in the people here.

I guarantee you whatever "compromise" Dems agree to on the Federal Budget will be us and working class folks making sacrifices while the upper echelon get "incentives"

Check yourself dude. I welcome your return to reality but you've drifted.

--Ian Curtis

by jethrock on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 05:21:20 PM PST

•  Please explain to me how the rich (4+ / 0-)
        hyperstation, justmy2, wsexson, jethrock

making sacrifices equals to the middle class making sacrfices.

It doesn't.

The middle class has been sacrificing for years now and we are just getting around now to asking the rich to sacrifice.  And honestly I am not holding my breath with the way dems "negotiate".

"I'm not scared of anyone or anything, Angie. Isn't that the way life should be?" Jack Hawksmoor

by skyounkin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:35:40 PM PST

•  fair point (1+ / 0-)
          skyounkin

after all, the Bush tax cuts on the rich went through... and that sucked. State level is different, and different in each state.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:57:37 PM PST

•  Funny... (4+ / 0-)

at last night's talk I attended, Kleiman remarked that we shouldn't have recycled Jerry Brown, we should've composted him!  :-P

This was in the context of the massive higher education cuts Brown is proposing, and many of us fear those cuts will never be restored.  :-\

The problem with raising taxes in California is that fucking 2/3s rule that prevents even the voters from having a say.  You need 2/3 of the legislature just to PUT it on the ballot for the people to vote on it in the first place!!

How fucked up is our state's laws?  There was a local measure in Santa Barbara (IIRC) that was going to raise a certain kind of tax by a few cents, in order to keep the public library open or something.  65% of the people voted in favor of the additional tax...

...which meant the measure FAILED, because it didn't get over 66.6% of the vote.

Argh.

•  Kinda like Obama's promise to end Bush Tax Cuts (4+ / 0-)
          hyperstation, BruinKid, justmy2, skyounkin

until he signed the law that not only extended them... but expanded them while letting taxes on the working poor rise.

Kinda like that, but different. They were both nice thoughts.

--Ian Curtis

by jethrock on Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:45:01 PM PST

•  CA is a special breed of fail (2+ / 0-)
          BruinKid, missliberties