View Diary: Mike Huckabee tries to unscramble the egg, denies attacking Natalie Portman (195 comments)

•  I'm a single mom (32+ / 0-)

and I'd like to tell Huckabee to shut his ignorant pie hole.

Stats on me:

Age I became a single mom - 35

Level of education - rec'd a B.A. in English

Socio-economic background - raised in a middle class home, raised Catholic though I have long since removed myself from the Church; my parents still married to each other after over 50 years of marriage; white; never been married

Have been employed in one way or another since high school, paid my way through college by working, and have been employed as a legal support staff for many years, earning a decent living

Have I ever turned to government assistance?  No.  Fortunately I've been able to support myself and my child, with financial and emotional support from my family in times of crisis, and child support from his father.

Mike Huckabee is a worthless idiot.  Single moms are much more likely to be unemployed because of the severe lack of jobs to be had in this country, than because they are moms.  While some may not have finished high school, many others did, and have gone on to complete college degrees.  Like many Republicans, he's got an agenda and the facts be damned.

•  I hate to disagree partially (3+ / 0-)
      Odysseus, bmcphail, Cassandra Waites

but teen Moms,  many of whom never finish high school, as opposed to Moms who have graduated from college, have a much higher risk of living in poverty--and only about 1 or 2% of them graduate from college by age 30.  There's a huge difference between someone who's secure financially and a 15 year old having a baby.   And I am PRO-single Moms because I've known so many terrific ones who were active duty military; these yougn women were excellent mothers as well as soldiers and sailors.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:34:28 PM PST

•  Only points up the lack of social (5+ / 0-)

support systems in this country.

If a single mother had access to first class health care and a decent job with daycare, the consequences of rash early decisions would be greatly softened.

Of course that's the subtext: the belief that they should be punished.

Baz

We are the principled ones, remember? We don't get to use the black hats' tricks even when it would benefit us. Political Compass: -6.88, -6.41

by bmcphail on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 03:03:04 PM PST

•  I won't argue that. (0+ / 0-)

And we need the social support netwiork badly. But this is reality-based, and at this moment, the fate of single teen oms isn't pretty.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 08:08:09 PM PST

•  Agree. If girls want to follow (3+ / 0-)

Portman's footsteps and get a Harvard degree, become extremely successful in their chosen careers, then have a child, whether married or not, I think Huckabee has little to worry about. His job is to make sure that all girls who want to can go to college and graduate.

But oh! The overall graduation rate for Arkansas high schools is only 72% and only 37% of its public college students graduate within 6 years. Maybe if the former governor left Fox Studios and jumped off his high horse, he might make a difference in his home state.

Funny how Natalie Portman has time to work with charities to raise women and girls up, as busy as she is, while Huckabee and his ilk do nothing but drag them down.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... - C Dickens.

by grover on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 03:12:43 PM PST

•  So, what's the percentage of single mothers (2+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, Cassandra Waites

who are teens without support and a chance to finish growing up themselves, and those from families with access to more support who can finish school and get a sure footing in life?

Are there more adult women who find themselves raising children alone, or are there more teens?

I ask because there is so much dog whistle in Huckabee's comments.

When he says 'single mother', he means poor ethnic teenager.
        If the majority of single mothers are grown women then he is smearing the wrong people, as usual.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. - Poor Richard's Almanac 1755

by mungley on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 03:31:15 PM PST

•  B.A. with Honors from Harvard. (5+ / 0-)

"I'd rather be smart than a movie star."

The wonder, here, is that Huckster is so screwed up that he felt he had to attack one of the smartest women on earth.

If you want to see Natalie Hershlag work before she was even close to being a grow-up, get thee to NetFlix and pull up "The Professional" opposite Jean Reno and Gary Oldman. The child, 12, doesn't back up an inch.

I saw her do Diary of Anne Frank on Broadway. She and Katherine Hepburn doing Coco have a class all to themselves. Plus, the guy she's marrying is the lead choreographer for NYC Ballet and something of a dance superstar.

This GOPer wannabe is out of his league.

AA versus The Bigs.

Financial capitalism's criminals + Angry White Males + KKK wannabes + Personality Disorder delusionals + George Will =EQ= The GOPer Base

by vets74 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 03:12:59 PM PST

•  Girlfriend's daughter (0+ / 0-)

Severed in the US Army, trained in radiology. Things didn't work out with her G.I husband and she moved her. Actually she is working as a waitress right now because she can make more money but she has only been in town about three months. She always looks tired when I see her, but what mother doesn't with a five year old. She is not on assistance and her son, while a handful (I finally understand Mr. Wilson's point of view), is well adjusted and happy.

It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America. - Molly Ivins

by se portland on Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 07:25:55 PM PST