View Diary: dKos Poll: Who Are These Democrats Who Want to Impeach Obama? (304 comments)

•  Okay, let's walk you thru it . . . (21+ / 0-)

while I approve of Obama, the failure of his administration to enforce the Rule of Law, i.e., the statutes against torture and warrantless wiretapping,  his extremist claims of state secrets, and his persecution of whistleblowers would warrant impeachment in a country in which there was truly the Rule of Law.

But that ain't the USA.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. ~Thomas Jefferson

by bobdevo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 04:57:17 PM PST

•  Ok (5+ / 0-)

I follow your logic, no problem.  Would you actually support impeachment though, along with all the political implications that entails?  Since, as you say, 'that ain't the USA'? and we didn't do it to Bush?  (And too bad indeed that 'that ain't the USA.')

•  I would support it. (10+ / 0-)

Bush should've been impeached.  Clinton should've been impeached, altho not for a blow job or for lying about a blow job.  He should've been impeached for signing Gramm Leach Blily among other things.

But . . . . . . that ain't gonna happen in the USA we've got.

by bobdevo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 06:55:33 PM PST

•  I would support it, too. (7+ / 0-)

We (voters) threw the Republicans out of office in 2008 with a resounding mandate and majority for change.   The first thing Obama did was attack his base and ask the Republicans what can I do to make you happy.

Every time I go to say we have to throw the Republicans out (of DC and Lansing), I inevitably ask myself with what and for what?  We threw them out in 2008 and look what we got for it.  Geitner, Bernanke, escalated wars, increases in defense spending, more tax cuts for billionaires, threats to Social Security - and this by our duly elected Democrat in the WH.

So as we move along, who do we throw the bums out with?  Certainly not Democrats.  If Obama proved anything, he proved that Democrats are useless to Democrats and don't share any of our values.   They should have changed their party name to Wall Street.

If we don't start holding Democrats accountable in any way we can, we will always be choosing between the perp with the gun or the perp with the knife.

I wouldn't lift a finger to stop an impeachment of Obama.  However, I would like to see it represented as the will of the people (sort of like Egypt)  instead of the screw balls that call themselves Republicans and tea partiers.

If you don't stand for something, eventually you stand for nothing.

by dkmich on Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 02:41:51 AM PST

•  This President... (1+ / 0-)
              LongTom

walks like a Republican, and talks like a Republican, and I don't see much difference from Bush apart from the fact that he's more literate.

I wouldn't lift a finger to stop an impeachment of Obama.

Same here.

I think Biden would make a much better President. He certainly couldn't be any worse.

•  Ok, I see a pattern here (12+ / 0-)

You think a president should be impeached for doing things that you don't agree with (signing a bill into law!?).

Sorry, but I don't think that's what "high crimes and misdemeanors" should mean.

•  It's a pattern of one-upmanship. (10+ / 0-)

It's a purity contest.

If you want a link, I'll look for a link. If you really want it. Just ask.

by Inland on Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 04:43:11 AM PST

•  Actually, he should be impeached for allowing (1+ / 0-)
            neroden

people so obviously determined to impeach him to overwhelmingly win the election. It's poetic justice. Mr. Bipartisanship impeached by the people his stupid bipartisanship put into power. Bring it on! He deserves an object lesson. Here's your fucking bipartisanship, Barack!

If I knew it was comin', I could pull a jet plane.--Reggie Jackson

by LongTom on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 09:37:20 PM PST

•  Because it was Obama's bipartisanship (2+ / 0-)
              brein, foufou

that fired up the teapartiers to vote in droves, eh?

•  It was his bipartisanship that lost the election. (4+ / 0-)
                colonblow, Johnny Q, neroden, Faroutman

Tea Party votes didn't win the election, independent voters turning against Obama did. He campaigned for "change you can believe in" and delivered nothing remotely like it. He didn't even talk about it. People wanted a leader in the fight against business-as-usual, against Wall Street oligarchs who engineered the collapse, against swindling mortgage companies, and so on. They got Caspar Milquetoast, a mumbling policy nerd who expressed nothing of their pain, anger, or desperation, and who delivered no "programs that work," at least none that he sold effectively to voters.

Tea partiers were going to vote in droves against Obama anyway. They're racist right wing zealots, not to mention wholly created by big right wing power people who WERE GOING TO OPPOSE OBAMA NO MATTER WHAT HE DID. The Tea Party bullshit started right away, when Obama had a 65% approval ratng.

To compound matters, Obama didn't fight against Republicans, he tried to placate them. They slandered him and he shook their hands. They lied about him and his party, and he ignored it. He didn't attack. Attack politics is what wins elections. Period. As we just saw, once again, in 2010.

For blowing the biggest political advantage that any newly elected president has had since FDR, yeah, yeah, Obama deserves to be impeached.

If I knew it was comin', I could pull a jet plane.--Reggie Jackson

by LongTom on Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 05:41:04 AM PDT

•  Is there a president who shouldn't have been? (10+ / 0-)

Just asking.

If you want a link, I'll look for a link. If you really want it. Just ask.

by Inland on Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 04:42:21 AM PST

•  I disagree (1+ / 0-)
          Ahianne

Amendment 2 to the constitution:

"At the federal level, Article Two of the United States Constitution (Section 4) states that "The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors." The House of Representatives has the sole power of impeaching, while the United States Senate has the sole power to try all impeachments. The removal of impeached officials is automatic upon conviction in the Senate."

This is not some sort of particularly fuzzy language - it's for a crime or crimes. Not b/c you disagree with a political action, however much you dislike it, ferchrissakes!

"Always remember this: They fight with money and we resist with time, and they’re going to run out of money before we run out of time." -Utah Philips

by TerryDarc on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 08:51:18 PM PST

•  Bullshit. There's no right of appeal (1+ / 0-)
            neroden

for impeachment, which means that "high crimes and misdemeanors" are defined however the House wishes--not necessarily your definition. They can impeach on whatever pretext they want. Doesn't matter anyway, since the Senate would never vote to convict. Besides, a "misdemeanor" could be something as trivial and commonplace as misusing campaign funds, or accepting an illegal donation, things, they all do.

If I knew it was comin', I could pull a jet plane.--Reggie Jackson

by LongTom on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 09:42:16 PM PST

•  Ditto here (2+ / 0-)
          LongTom, CMYK

I think the dairy author's piece is totally out of touch with the feelings of people like me who feel they've been abandoned by the President.

It is obvious that this group has consistently conservative views, so much so that even with so few respondents we can feel confident that there’s a difference between this group and other Democrats.

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the record, I'm not conservative, quite the opposite. And, while I wouldn't mine sitting down with Obama for a beer or two, I think that his decision making is completely fucked up.

•  I'm pretty much in the same place. (9+ / 0-)

Obama has obviously committed multiple impeachable offenses, even if he's well into "mediocre."

•  You will NEVER, EVER be happy... (2+ / 0-)
      emelyn, foufou

...with any president. Tell us: which president in your lifetime did you approve of? Which world leader? The good has become  the enemy of the perfect?

by TerryDarc on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 08:47:36 PM PST

•  So many need to be punished (1+ / 0-)
      CMYK

If we are ever to restore the rule of law, we need to actually punish the guilty.

(-7.38,-2.51) 76% of dKos readers think I'm a secret wing-nut operative!

by Gustavo on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 10:14:17 PM PST