View Diary: dKos Poll: Who Are These Democrats Who Want to Impeach Obama? (304 comments)

•  Well, there's also Dems like me who believe (13+ / 1-)

that he has indeed committed impeachable acts--acts of ommission more than commission, but those too--but are in no way for impeaching him, as much for political as principled reasons. E.g. not prosecuting torturers, war criminals, banksters, oil company execs, etc., bombing innocent civilians, calling for extrajudicial assassinations, obstruction of justice, etc.

But you know what? It would just lead to the GOP taking over all branches of government and make things even worse, and little that Obama has done hasn't been done by every president since Reagan--Truman, really, with the possible exception of Carter. And there would be something particularly perverse about seeing a bunch of hypocritical GOP scumbags in the house impeach a man who for all his faults, is still not nearly as despicable as them.

Faint praise, I know, but it's all I've got at this point.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything...Mankind are forever destined to be the dupes of bold & cunning imposture" --Alexander Hamilton

by kovie on Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 09:01:37 PM PST

•  Keep going back (4+ / 0-)
      Lucy Montrose, dmh44, kalmoth, foufou

What FDR did would be considered impeachable by today's standards. I do not know much of the history of those before him.

The reality is, governing is ugly business, and Presidents make for lousy heroes.

•  OH you mean that little (3+ / 0-)
        Matt Z, NoFortunateSon, foufou

put the Japanese behind a fence thing.

The liberals of the day were livid and many never forgave him!

Sound familiar!

~a little change goes a long way~

by missliberties on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 10:11:12 PM PST

•  Actually, it was found to be lawful (0+ / 0-)

by SCOTUS, in Korematsu. Like Dred Scott, one of the more heinous rulings in US history, but it technically made internment not impeachable.

Note, I'm not at all calling for impeaching him. That would be sheer nuts. Just saying that constitutionally, a strong case could be made for it.

by kovie on Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 05:35:09 AM PDT

•  Re-read my comment (0+ / 0-)

If Obama is technically impeachable--and he is--then so are a whole lot of other presidents, some of whom are faves around here. And yet for some people, he is STILL President Untouchable, whose reaction to criticisms of whom say vastly more about them than his critics.

This is what happens when people substitute emotion for reason.

See crazyass subthread below by Off His Meds.

by kovie on Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 05:32:26 AM PDT

•  Heidi-ho neighborino! (3+ / 0-)
      Situational Lefty, mattman, kovie

Well, I'm not for impeaching anybody right now (except that Wanker dude in Wisconsin), cause it's really just a suck of resources and deflects from other things.  BUT.

I share your pain.

I also uprated your comment because I believe a person should be able to express his or her opinion on this site without being called a "lying douchebag," but I just HRrd shrike in another comment thread for calling someone a "lying douchebag" so at least you're in good company.

•  Those 'Democrats' are no better than Bachmann and (4+ / 0-)
      Rustbelt Dem, shrike, emelyn, foufou

Palin and Gingrich.

Teh crazy is found on both sides.

"[R]ather high-minded, if not a bit self-referential"--The Washington Post.

by Geekesque on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 09:23:08 PM PST

•  Yawn (1+ / 0-)
      foufou

A faint review, I'll grant you.  But it's all I've got at this point.

I'm from the "winning elections" wing of the Democratic Party.

by Rustbelt Dem on Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 09:32:22 PM PST