View Diary: Deranged Priorities (94 comments)

•  I'm sorry you were treated badly, (5+ / 0-)

very badly.

Moving on to another issue:  Really?

Because I worked for the church, I was not eligible for unemployment benefits.

So you're saying if a person is an employee of a church, they're not entitled to unemployment benefits?  What?

To every millionaire who decries they don't want their grandchildren paying for the deficit, I say: PAY MORE TAXES NOW and your grandkids won't have a deficit burden.

by gooderservice on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 07:55:15 PM PDT

•  Churches are not required to pay into UI. (9+ / 0-)

I cannot be eligible because of that. I have been out of work for a year now and have not been eligible for benefits. Yep. Churches can opt out, and nearly all do. I cannot collect shit.

Capitalism may be our enemy, but it is also our teacher. --V.I. Lenin

by commonmass on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:02:49 PM PDT

•  I never knew that. That's not fair. That sucks. (7+ / 0-)

I'm so sorry -- for the fact that you were treated like that, and also that you're not able to collect unemployment.

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever consider suing them for discrimination or something like that?  When you say you would have fought harder, is that what you meant?  Or did you mean something else?

by gooderservice on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:08:38 PM PDT

•  I'm not going to sue anyone. (12+ / 0-)

If I had known, I would have done some things differently. That's all.

I have just sent my resume out for an open Anglican job. I'll take it, if it is offered. I'm ready to go back. I have good references, and great experience; I am a published composer; my professional life is an open book. Let's hope they are interested in that, and not in my personal life. Generally speaking, the Episcopalians are not. The other job was Lutheran. If they want a reference, they can call the Bishop of New Hampshire. He'll give me a good one. He loves the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis I composed for him. Plus, you know, he's gay. ;)

Capitalism may be our enemy, but it is also our teacher. --V.I. Lenin

by commonmass on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:20:04 PM PDT

•  For.. (5+ / 0-)

...the most part they are exempt from employment discrimination laws as well, at least where it is for the purpose of promoting the religious principles for which the organization is constituted.  This is not a free pass to discriminate in all areas of employment, but I assume it would cover any areas that involved religious instruction.  And this is only if you are in a jurisdiction where sexual orientation is a protected category and the law theoretically applies to religious employers (i.e., where they have not been afforded an exemption).

"...after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

by Alec82 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:27:06 PM PDT

•  It was in Massachusetts, (3+ / 0-)
            Alec82, kyril, gooderservice

and in the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) which is in communion with the Episcopal Church (of which I am a member) and even the UCC. The ELCA does not any longer discriminate on the basis of orientation (and a couple of years ago decided that gay clergy was an OK thing, with not a little pressure from the Episcopalians, I may add). This was not about my sexual orientation. It was about a pre-conceived notion that my temporary health problems were probably related to a chronic condition. It was all very "board-room" and not homophobic in the least. It was still wrong.

Capitalism may be our enemy, but it is also our teacher. --V.I. Lenin

by commonmass on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:36:07 PM PDT

•  Well actually.. (5+ / 0-)

....it was based on a stereotypical assumption related to your sexual orientation so I don't know about that; but in any event, that form of discrimination is worse from the perspective of legal liability, because the ADA does not contain a general exemption for religious organizations and because they are not going to be able to demonstrate the bona fide occupational qualification that would usually be required to get the benefit of the rule allowing churches to discriminate (the so-called ministerial exception).  You should consult an attorney, because HIV discrimination is disability discrimination that is covered by federal law (provided they have a sufficient number of employees) and usually by state law (most states have disability discrimination protections of their own).

As I said, you should probably consult an attorney, or file with the civil rights commission in your state.

by Alec82 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:42:29 PM PDT

•  Four employees, not enough. (4+ / 0-)
                Alec82, sfbob, kyril, gooderservice

The Lutheran Bishop was and is aware. The people involved at the parish level were spoken to. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it forced the resignation of the church leadership at the time they forced me out.

Capitalism may be our enemy, but it is also our teacher. --V.I. Lenin

by commonmass on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:45:53 PM PDT

•  The.. (4+ / 0-)

...organization counted as a whole.  But this does not appear to be about numbers, because it doesn't sound like you are interested in looking into it further.  Fair enough; many (probably most) people are not under those circumstances.

Best of luck.

by Alec82 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:48:05 PM PDT

•  I would be interested, what I'm saying (3+ / 0-)
                    Alec82, sfbob, gooderservice

is that there may have been too few employees at the church for me to qualify for action. I am not disinterested in looking into it, and I will, in fact, take your suggestions into account and do some looking. If I have an action, it is, I don't think, too late. I appreciate your help and suggestions here.

Regardless, the fact that the church leadership was sacked as a result is--if nothing else--very helpful in my process of healing from being wildly mistreated.

Capitalism may be our enemy, but it is also our teacher. --V.I. Lenin

by commonmass on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:52:40 PM PDT

•  I suggest you do (3+ / 0-)
                      commonmass, sfbob, gooderservice

As Alec points out, the employee count may be from a larger umbrella org than your specific site.

I can understand wanting to forget and move on. I have a sexual harassment experience in my past I made that choice with.

But also if you're inclined, remember, if laws are never enforced, they become toothless. And asserting them sets an example that may spare the less fortunate from going through the same.

When I was young, I thought money was the most important thing in life. Now that I'm old - I know it is.--Oscar Wilde

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 09:02:59 PM PDT

•  There's also a teeny Church and State problem in (0+ / 0-)

that the ordained are usually sort of paid by churches and they, too would be allowed to collect unemployment.  That ain't gonna happen, I do not think.