View Diary: The Unemployed Aren't Second Class Citizens - Let's Protect Them From Hiring Discrimination (183 comments)

•  Cannot or Choose Not to say (0+ / 0-)

anything negative about a former employee? I would guess Choose Not.

If asked about employment history in a 2011 interview and the answer given is:

College Grad to 1996 - Job A
    1996 to 2001 - Job B
    2001 to 2007 - Job C

How is it possible to avoid the why unemployed question? Even if you don't ask directly, almost any query would be an indirect way of asking why you're unemployed. Are you saying a potential employer doesn't need to know what happened after 2007?

"Someone just turned the lights on in the bar and the sexiest state doesn't look so pretty anymore" CA Treasurer Bill Lockyer on Texas budget mess

by CaliSista on Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 06:58:02 PM PDT

•  i do not know if you (1+ / 0-)
      Corwin Weber

addressed the question to me, but i believe that the employer should hire you based on you qualifications, if they want to know about your performance at the last job, they should just come right out and ask...and not be a double talking jerk about it, and really its none of their business where you worked anyway, that is your private information, and these HR practices are all about company 'culture' ect...not the best fit, except for some on the job political crap

•  No, it was actually in response (0+ / 0-)

to lakehillsliberal but it looks like we also don't see eye to eye :)

I've interviewed and of course have been interviewed many times and have problems with what you appear to be saying. You truly believe it's not the business of a potential employer to know where you have worked in the past? As an applicant, I want my work history to be known to show that I'm capable of doing the job. As an interviewer, how can I assess your qualifications without knowing what you've done in the past? If it is an entry level non-skilled position, that might be one thing but any other position would require me to delve deeper than what someone wrote on their resume.

Even if you believe yourself to be scrupulously honest when listing your qualifications, what you define as expert may be only average knowledge to a potential employer. It also could be that you are a genius but cannot work within a group.

This would be pretty pointless because who would admit to being a bad performer? Although I'm sure there are many exceptions, most employers just want to find a person who scores as high as possible on the "already knows the job and needs absolutely no training" scale.

by CaliSista on Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 07:59:24 PM PDT

•  Frankly.... (0+ / 0-)

....no.  They don't.  Pretty much all employment is 'at will' these days.  If there's a problem, they can deal with it later.

•  Deal with it later? Really? (0+ / 0-)

Maybe I'm just too suspicious but an unexplained absence from the workplace for four years would conjure up only negative reasons (cuz if it were positive, why wouldn't you just say so).

Seriously, my first thought is that the person was in prison or involved in something illegal. If not that, then there's a job that they don't want me to know about because they were fired or left under some sort of cloud. For the employer's financial and criminal liability, it won't work to just "deal with it later" if they hired someone who they knew or should have known had a particular issue. For example, someone who had a sexual harassment finding against them and does the same thing on the new job or someone with a suspended license/DUI who crashes the company car or even someone who previously spilled company secrets.

by CaliSista on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 05:52:26 PM PDT

•  Meanwhile.... (0+ / 0-)

...by looking at things from that perspective you perpetuate the problem, and you have people like me where managers look at a year and a half of being unemployed and skip over us without even an interview.... which keeps us unemployed for even longer and makes an already bad situation even worse.

Thanks for that, really.  We appreciate being told that there are entirely valid reasons for fucking us.

•  Did you even read what I wrote or (1+ / 0-)
            VClib

is your sole purpose here to spit vitriol at anyone who doesn't knuckle under to your viewpoint.

The first sentence specified UNEXPLAINED!!

Definition:

1. [adj]  having the reason or cause not made clear; "an unexplained error"
               2. [adj]  not explained; "accomplished by some unexplained process"

UNEXPLAINED is a 11 letter word that starts with U.

Synonyms:         incomprehensible, inexplicable, undetermined

An applicant saying he/she was laid off/downsized/outsourced/etc. and has been unable to find a job in this economy shoots right out of the Unexplained category by ummm, I don't know, EXPLAINING. Also, you seem to be implying that I support not interviewing the unemployed. Please identify where I made or even hinted at such an opinion.

by CaliSista on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 08:10:32 PM PDT

•  One thing I have learned is that people need to (1+ / 0-)
      VClib

hang out a contractor shingle when they are unemployed.  It fills in the gaps and helps smooth out the questions.

•  Why should I have to explain why I'm unemployed? (1+ / 0-)
      CaliSista

For me, it ties directly into protected medical information, about which a prospective employer has no right to pry. Why should I have to say "I am disabled" if it's not something that has any bearing on the job on offer? Moreover, why should I have to describe my disability, or why I no longer have that particular disability (but do have others)?

What possible business is it of any prospective employer that I was on dialysis and have now had a kidney transplant?

Organ donors save multiple lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me and in others. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate and sign up to give others the gift of life.

by Kitsap River on Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 11:11:22 PM PDT

•  Before addressing your question, (0+ / 0-)

I'm truly happy for you on your recent receipt of a donor kidney and hope for continued improvement to your health.

Of course, I have no experience with your situation but I can imagine various answers and what the expected result would be:

If I answered "it's a private matter I don't wish to discuss", I wouldn't think the interviewers would probe further but I also wouldn't expect to get the job.

If I answered "I had a medical condition that is now resolved" I might or might not get further questions. Considering the places and people I would normally be interviewed by, my gut is that I would get an awkward silence with the panel exchanging glances and then on to the next question. Again, I would doubt a job offer would be forthcoming unless my competition had some issues of their own.

Because of the likely result to my first two scenarios, I would probably just tell them the truth. If I didn't, I would fear that their imaginations would conjure up something far worse than whatever I said.

by CaliSista on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 05:30:01 PM PDT

•  While I understand and support your (0+ / 0-)

POV, in our work world, it is not realistic.  We have a very pro-business work environment.  We would have to have a more pro-employee environment and I do not see that coming to pass in the United States.